Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest f***thepress

Actually think Santa Cruz is spot on as the level of player we should be looking at.

He's very good, but (unlike Bentley) he's not quite good enough to have ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool sniffing. The only hope he has of getting to a top 4 club in a top league is joining a club who has the potential to get there at some point and try to go up with them.

Surely with a loaded owner, larger fanbase, more consistent revenue stream, and higher name value, we piss all over Blackburn in terms of potentially ever getting near the top 4 or even the top 6 (note that I'm not implying that either is sure to happen in the near future, just that it's a lot more likely with us than with Blackburn). It might be a lateral move right now, but in the long run surely it feels a lot better to be a Newcastle player than a Blackburn one.

Couple that with the fact that Hughes needs the cash and he's got a ready made replacement up front in Derbyshire, and I say he's biting our hands off for around 10m.

[/quote

Totally agree that blokes prolific sign him asap

Gattuso has always said he would finish his career at Rangers. How old is he now?

I think Mrs Gattuso has said he will finish his career in Glasgow.

Mrs Gattuso is Glaswegian if i remember rightly. Gennaro also owns a restaurant there i think

Gattuso has always said he would finish his career at Rangers. How old is he now?

Mrs Gattuso is Glaswegian if i remember rightly. Gennaro also owns a restaurant there i think

She is a jock & her sister is that bird who works for GMTV, Carla Romano.

Gatusso`s wife is a bit of a minger like.....at east she aint ginger

She is a jock & her sister is that bird who works for GMTV, Carla Romano.

Gatusso`s wife is a bit of a minger but at least she aint ginger

Whatever I said about us being a step up from Blackburn certainly doesn't apply to Everton like.

There's no way we're signing their best players.

We'll finish ahead of Everton next season. We don't need their best plyaers because they are shite. Maybe they'l buy our cast offs at an inflated fee. That's how I see it.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. At this moment of time, they're in 5th place and we're in 12th. Granted, we've run into some good form lately but we've hardly played the top teams, have we? They, however, have played well against nearly every team in the league and have just recently gained some experience playing in Europe (and will be playing there again next year). All the signs are good for Everton. A new stadium (soon-ish), the probability of increased revenue, another year in Europe, more stability with the squad/manager - all things that point to a better future for them.

And this without mentioning the quality of the squad that Moyes has assembled, our squad at the moment and of course how Everton have been one of the most consistent teams this season (okay, maybe I've mentioned this but it's worth repeating). Would you like to back up your claim that we'll finish in the top 5 (because that's what it'll take to beat Everton) next season with some tangible evidence?

The way I see it, the only thing that Everton seriously lacks is big money. But, because Moyes has spent well recently and doesn't need a major overhaul, they're not that far off from challenging the top 4 and I expect them to push on next season (again).

Edit.. worth mentioning that..

Yakubu > anything we have up front

Arteta/Cahill > better than our midfield

Lescott > anything we have at the CB position

Howard > our two GKs atm

Everton are a top 5 team, we're a potential top 8 team.

Ok, they might not have the best individual players in the world, but they're an excellent team who have been well organised. I can think of at least 4 or 5 of their players who I'd sign in a heartbeat.

Yes, Everton have had a great season and things are certainly looking up for them - but at the same time they could easily go down from where they are too, finish top 8 next season rather than top 5 for example.

So if we are potentially a top 8 side, we could be closer to them next season than many people think. Not sure we will, but it's a possibilty.

Yes, Everton have had a great season and things are certainly looking up for them - but at the same time they could easily go down from where they are too, finish top 8 next season rather than top 5 for example.

So if we are potentially a top 8 side, we could be closer to them next season than many people think. Not sure we will, but it's a possibilty.

I don't disagree - I was responding to TRon's ridiculous claim.

I don't disagree - I was responding to TRon's ridiculous claim.

Yep, that said I don't see any players trading Everton for Newcastle at this point... too much of an unknown.

Guest Knightrider

I can't see Everton sustaining their seasonal form next season, even if they did spend money which btw they have been doing of late, spending more than we have in fact.

I can't see Everton sustaining their seasonal form next season, even if they did spend money which btw they have been doing of late, spending more than we have in fact.

Done ok for the last couple of seasons haven't they, and can't see them losing many of their players.

Na Everton are the most inconsistant club.

Don't they yo yo from every year, from a good season to an average one? It will be hard to improve on what they have, without spending massive money (which they dont have), it means taking risks.

They won't finish 5th, neither will Pompey.

Guest Knightrider

I can see ourselves, Spurs and Man City all having rather better seasons next campaign, which will, along with the continued competition from West Ham, Villa, Blackburn and Portsmouth, make it even harder for Everton to sustain their current seasonal form.

Of all the clubs I think ourselves, Villa, Man City and Spurs are the ones to watch. For a club like Everton to kick on further, they really need to qualify for the CL, which they won't. Otherwise they won't be able to compete financially in terms of wages for the better players while struggling to keep their own better players should rivals start sniffing. As history has shown.

I also think there isn't much more Moyes can do. They need a stronger squad but one of the reasons for their success is because of the opposite, he has knitted together a small tight squad that is manageable and plays for each other, start messing with that and you run the risk of unbalancing it all. Furthermore how long can he keep extracting high quality consistent performances from his players? They already look fatigued and mentally drained. Add in another Euro campaign next season and higher expectations and I can see it turning sour for them to be honest.

For us, providing all goes well in the transfer market, I see no reason why the top 6 shouldn't be our aim and realistically, we'd stand a good chance of achieving that as I'm more than certain KK will bring in high quality players and with the feel good factor only increasing, I can see SJP becoming a fortress again and due to KK's attacking nature, we'll score goals against the lesser teams, which should all amount to a much more healthier season for us, the kind of things that gets you into the top 6 hopefully.

I can see ourselves, Spurs and Man City all having rather better seasons next campaign, which will, along with the continued competition from West Ham, Villa, Blackburn and Portsmouth, make it even harder for Everton to sustain their current seasonal form.

Of all the clubs I think ourselves, Villa, Man City and Spurs are the ones to watch. For a club like Everton to kick on further, they really need to qualify for the CL, which they won't. Otherwise they won't be able to compete financially in terms of wages for the better players while struggling to keep their own better players should rivals start sniffing. As history has shown.

I also think there isn't much more Moyes can do. They need a stronger squad but one of the reasons for their success is because of the opposite, he has knitted together a small tight squad that is manageable and plays for each other, start messing with that and you run the risk of unbalancing it all. Furthermore how long can he keep extracting high quality consistent performances from his players? They already look fatigued and mentally drained. Add in another Euro campaign next season and higher expectations and I can see it turning sour for them to be honest.

For us, providing all goes well in the transfer market, I see no reason why the top 6 shouldn't be our aim and realistically, we'd stand a good chance of achieving that as I'm more than certain KK will bring in high quality players and with the feel good factor only increasing, I can see SJP becoming a fortress again and due to KK's attacking nature, we'll score goals against the lesser teams, which should all amount to a much more healthier season for us, the kind of things that gets you into the top 6 hopefully.

Agree with all of this.

Our biggest asset is at home. Even under Bobby we were notoriously bad away from home (better than we are atm though). We just used to win the majority of our home games, i twas this that propelled us into the right end of the table.

We should almost be treating our away games as bonuses and concentrating on beating everyone at SJP.

Guest Knightrider

What excites me is that we will go away from home to score goals and to win games and while this may lead to a few losses, we'll also win a few. I'd rather have 4 defeats and 4 wins on the road with zero draws than 4 defeats and 4 draws with zero wins. And that's how we'll approach playing away from home. At home, we'll look to win them all, against the good the bad and the ugly. I can see SJP becoming a fortress again, especially if KK can get the kind of players he wants to set the place alight.

Edit.. worth mentioning that..

Yakubu > anything we have up front

Arteta/Cahill > better than our midfield

Lescott > anything we have at the CB position

Howard > our two GKs atm

Can add Yobo & possibly Baines & Pienaar to that list n all.

What excites me is that we will go away from home to score goals and to win games and while this may lead to a few losses, we'll also win a few. I'd rather have 4 defeats and 4 wins on the road with zero draws than 4 defeats and 4 draws with zero wins. And that's how we'll approach playing away from home. At home, we'll look to win them all, against the good the bad and the ugly. I can see SJP becoming a fortress again, especially if KK can get the kind of players he wants to set the place alight.

I think most people would rather have 12 points than 4 tbh.

He's really pointing out the difference in attitude between the better sides from the relegation sides. For example, all the sides down in the mix atm would quite happily put a bus in front of their goal and play for the draw. No chance of KK doing this as he more ambitious away from home.

Hopefully with some excellent home form we will see our selves up the right end of the table.

:D

HTT always feels the need to state the obvious tbh :D

:-)

Dont know if already posted

Anderlecht midfielder Mbark Boussoufa has admitted that Newcastle United interest has pleased him.

The 23-year-old attack-minded player, who was at Chelsea youth club from 2001-04, has earned rave reviews for his performances for the Belgian club and for his country Morocco.

“I’m flattered by Newcastle’s interest. I spent two years with Chelsea, so I know what English football is all about,” he was quoted as saying in The Daily Star.

“I was on the point of breaking into the Chelsea first team before Roman Abramovich arrived. He signed seven star players and the youngsters did not get their chance.

“I would not say no to a good offer from England. If Newcastle want me they must first speak to my club and then I’ll gladly listen to what they have to say.”

Dont know if already posted

Anderlecht midfielder Mbark Boussoufa has admitted that Newcastle United interest has pleased him.

The 23-year-old attack-minded player, who was at Chelsea youth club from 2001-04, has earned rave reviews for his performances for the Belgian club and for his country Morocco.

Im flattered by Newcastles interest. I spent two years with Chelsea, so I know what English football is all about, he was quoted as saying in The Daily Star.

I was on the point of breaking into the Chelsea first team before Roman Abramovich arrived. He signed seven star players and the youngsters did not get their chance.

I would not say no to a good offer from England. If Newcastle want me they must first speak to my club and then Ill gladly listen to what they have to say.

Sounds like a transfer plea.

Won't pretend like i have any idea on whether he's any good or not. Sounds like one of the youngsters KK was on about more than anything.