Birmingham City 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/03/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Sorry, it just sounds like people are persuading themselves that we were up against decent opposition based on some previous results. Well whatever got them those results, it didn't show last night.

But you reckon Fulham, the mackems and Reading are going to show a significant step up in class away from home?

I hate to grim you out, Wullie, but we've got Sunderland at our place on Saturday, and not only are we playing shite recently, but we're also undergoing an injury crisis.

If Dwight Yorke scores, I will kill myself.

You'll batter them! :thup:

Guest rebel_yell12

We're all pleased we came away with a draw, but a lot of people are getting carried away here. It shows how low the expectations are that avoiding defeat against a team like Birmingham is celebrated like it was some great performance.

Martins - Viduka - Owen is not a natural trio for a 4-3-3, and it showed. You need players who can go wide and drop back, and all three are out and out strikers. We got away with it because they have a very weak defence and they couldn't handle Martins in the second half. That was the only threat we carried, and it won't work against a better side. And forget the recent results, last night Brum were piss poor.

Neither could they handle Owen dropping into midfield or Butt's tenacity and outstanding tackling, or the fact that they got nothing from the flanks because both full-backs played so well. Every one of us understands this is no team of world-beaters but they do deserve credit, as does Keegan, for getting a lot right last night.

Agree with this, especially the selection in bold.  McLeish himself said that Newcastle's "international" players found another gear in the second half, naming Owen, Butt and Viduka in particular (it seems that the fans noted Martins more than either manager or most of the commentators...).  McLeish particularly singled out Owen, and his dropping back into midfield during the second half -- in his post-match comments he really seemed impressed with Owen, to be fair.  Martins-Viduka-Owen aren't a bad 4-3-3 combination, if Keegan continues to direct that OWEN be the one to drop deeper -- Martins isn't capable, and Viduka is nowhere near mobile enough.  They are hardly ideal, but with the current midfield available, why not persist with what seemed to be rather productive last night?  

As for the "quality" of the opposition -- Birmingham aren't easy to beat at home (ask Spurs), and it IS possible that Newcastle dominated because the lads were actually playing well after the equalizer from Owen (with no small 'assist' from Martins).  To assume that Birmingham were sh*** because they didn't win is faulty logic.  Fulham will be on a high note after defeating Everton the past weekend, so Saturday could be very important.  However, I don't think Fulham, Reading or Sunderland have good away form this season, so the fact that all three are at St. James' may be just enough to tip the matches in favor of Newcastle.  Coming back for a draw, rather than conceding a draw at the end of a match (as v. Boro) can be good for confidence levels -- it was good to see a solid 2nd half, rather than the usual capitulation.  There are plenty of positives to take from last night.  A short list follows (feel free to add any others you can think of, I'm sure I've missed a few):

1.  Return of Obafemi Martins -- looked fit, ready to fight, and took some good shots on goal, one of which helped get Owen his goal.

2.  "Return" of Michael Owen -- after stringing 8 matches in a row together for the first time on Tyneside [touch wood], Owen looks fitter than he has since Nov 2005, and played very well.  His work-rate was top-class, and he was acting the captain as well.  Proved that his game is becoming much more than just goal poaching by doing very well dropping deeper into midfield, of course he also provided a good reminder of why he is known for instincts, finishing and reading the play.

3.  Owen-Martins partnership -- aside from three matches at the end of last season, with Oba off form and Michael just back from his knee, we've not seen these two together.  It actually looked quite promising last night, as the two worked together quite well.  

4.  Enrique -- Newcastle may have solved that pesky LB issue, which means Zoggy won't be stuck there any longer.

5.  Beye -- solid, the sort of defender Newcastle needs.

6.  Viduka -- at least he's semi-fit again. Promising to have options upfront that aren't an untried kid (Carroll), a player who isn't EPL-standard (Ameobi) or the positionless Smith.

7.  Speaking off, the absence of Smith was a positive.  Is this the first match he didn't play for Newcastle?  About time.  

8.  Some decent tactics and apparently, a very effective half-time talk, from Keegan.  

Guest newcastle4life

Not a bad point as long as we beat fulham as 3 points will be a big boost to our position. Birmingham not an easy place to go draw keeps us above them which is a positive and moving ahead of Reading, just need to start winning otherwise there will be even bigger problems.

Sorry, it just sounds like people are persuading themselves that we were up against decent opposition based on some previous results. Well whatever got them those results, it didn't show last night.

But you reckon Fulham, the mackems and Reading are going to show a significant step up in class away from home?

I hate to grim you out, Wullie, but we've got Sunderland at our place on Saturday, and not only are we playing shite recently, but we're also undergoing an injury crisis.

If Dwight Yorke scores, I will kill myself.

Was talking about this with a Villa fan at work today.

Getting alittle anxious that your boys are hitting a bit of a bad run of form. Could do without it really.

Arent all your remaining home against all the bottom sides ?

I hoping I am wrong. Looking for you to do us a huge favour on Saturday