Should loaned/signed players be allowed to play against their own/old club?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seeing today Jermain Defoe can't play against Spurs, er, because he used to play for them. :idiot2:

Edit - turns out I was wrong on the Defoe transfer, so ignore it...

To me this is bullshit. If you loan out or sell a player you're basically saying he's not good enough to be playing every week for you. So why should you be scared of what he does against you?

I know we got caught on the bad end of this with the Lua Lua thing the other year, but in my opinion the Premier League/FA should say if a player is loaned or sold to another club, they can then do what the fuck they like with him. Clubs shouldn't be allowed to influence others' results.

Its nothing like that, its technically a loan deal because of the hold up with the Benjani deal.

Its not a proper transfer until the end of the season according to the FA so he cannot play.

Signings can play against their own clubs, its Pompy's own fault for trying to exploit a clause for signing a player after the deadline.

Guest Stephen927

I don't mind the case of a loaned player not being allowed to play against his own club.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy when Tim Howard signed for Everton permanently and couldn't play against Man United? I'm sure the Premier League investigated it.

EDIT: Never mind, post above mind explained the Defoe transfer, I was unsure.

Technically, like when they investigated Howard not playing for Everton against Man U, it's 3rd party influence which is against FA ruling anyways.

I have no idea why they choose to contradict themselves like this.

Players should be able to play whenever, regardless of who they are playing against.

I don't mind the case of a loaned player not being allowed to play against his own club.

Wasn't there a bit of controversy when Tim Howard signed for Everton permanently and couldn't play against Man United? I'm sure the Premier League investigated it.

No again wrong.

It was when he was on loan and Manu said to Everton he cannot play.

Since then its compulsory loan players not to play against their clubs.

Guest kingdawson

The whole loan system needs completely overhauled.

Arsenal's reserves got Birmingham promoted last season which can't be right.

Also don't think loans between Premier League teams should be allowed either.

Sorry a bit O/T but......

Liam where did you get that quote from (the one on your sign)?? . If i did come out with s*** like that than i can definatly see why i was not liked when i first came on here. f****** hell, i still cant get over that. Total bollocks on my part.

The whole loan system needs completely overhauled.

Arsenal's reserves got Birmingham promoted last season which can't be right.

Also don't think loans between Premier League teams should be allowed either.

Sorry a bit O/T but......

Liam where did you get that quote from (the one on your sign)?? . If i did come out with s*** like that than i can definatly see why i was not liked when i first came on here. f****** hell, i still cant get over that. Total bollocks on my part.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=26351.msg487210#msg487210

No again wrong.

He wasn't on loan, he'd already made the deal permanent but it was a 'gentleman's' agreement that he wouldn't play.

Didn't we do it with LuaLua?

O0

Seeing today Jermain Defoe can't play against Spurs, er, because he used to play for them. :idiot2:

Edit - turns out I was wrong on the Defoe transfer, so ignore it...

To me this is bullshit. If you loan out or sell a player you're basically saying he's not good enough to be playing every week for you. So why should you be scared of what he does against you?

I know we got caught on the bad end of this with the Lua Lua thing the other year, but in my opinion the Premier League/FA should say if a player is loaned or sold to another club, they can then do what the fuck they like with him. Clubs shouldn't be allowed to influence others' results.

Loaning Lua Lua and allowing him to play against us cost us Champions League football did it not?

No again wrong.

He wasn't on loan, he'd already made the deal permanent but it was a 'gentleman's' agreement that he wouldn't play.

but wouldn't that "gentlemans agreement" be against FA rules by another team team influincing team selection ?

Guest Stephen927

No again wrong.

but wouldn't that "gentlemans agreement" be against FA rules by another team team influincing team selection ?

Yes, the Premier League investigated it, but I can't remember the outcome.

No again wrong.

Yes, the Premier League investigated it, but I can't remember the outcome.

i'll give you a clue.....man utd were involved.

Guest Phil K

I still recall Lua Lua's last minute equaliser at Portsmouth and SBR denying that he had anything to do with the allowing him to play against us and Shepherd saying he did.

So I'm against it.

>>Yes, the Premier League investigated it, but I can't remember the outcome. <<

i'll give you a clue.....man utd were involved.

So with the press therefore guaranteed to be in favour if it helped Man U, it would have skated through....

• 2 weeks later...