Owen in a deeper role - could it be the way forward?

Dave

So... then... after 3 wins, we draw 0-0 away to Portsmouth and Owen is no longer suited to the role where he's scored 4 in 4 previously? Not to mention the fact that he had the best chance in the latest game as well. Cripes.

So... then... after 3 wins, we draw 0-0 away to Portsmouth and Owen is no longer suited to the role where he's scored 4 in 4 previously? Not to mention the fact that he had the best chance in the latest game as well. Cripes.

I know, it's ridiculous.

The one from the miss cleared corner not much to do with his new deeper role that.

Big credit Keegan for changing the system but I think the side would benefit from Owen playing higher up the pitch and Viduka deeper seems obvious to me considering what both are best at.

I agree with Redknapp comments regarding Michael Owen role completely.

The one from the miss cleared corner not much to do with his new deeper role that.

Big credit Keegan for changing the system but I think the side would benefit from Owen playing higher up the pitch and Viduka deeper seems obvious to me considering what both are best at.

So you're ignoring the fact that Viduka isn't fit enough to play a deeper role?

Fair enough. I personally don't think he's quick enough to play "on the shoulder" these days, because most Premiership centre halves aren't the cumbering giants of old. He has struggled when playing up front this season, from what I've seen, looking absolutely toothless at times. Obviously his rehabilitation from injury and lack of match sharpness at times comes into it, but he's certainly lost a fair bit of his pace and a good chunk of his initial acceleration over a few yards. He barely got a touch of the ball during his games up front in a 4-4-2 either, did he? He was more detrimental to the team at times, in my opinion, because he wasn't involved and he wasn't a threat over the top.

Everyone sees a different game though, as they say, 4 goals in 4 games says a lot though - and he's been playing very, very well at times too.

Aye, that was a good point as well to be fair. Viduka is barely fit enough to stand around up front at the minute.

No disagree with it.

And the opinion that Michael Owen is not quick enough to play as a out and out striker up top and in behind the defenders anymore... bizarre.

No disagree with it.

And the opinion that Michael Owen is not quick enough to play as a out and out striker up top and in behind the defenders anymore... bizarre.

A lot of people were happy to get shot of Owen prior to this run of form in his new position, remember?

I'd actually say the majority, on here at least, would have been happy to get shot and keep Martins ahead of him. Then Keegan moves him in behind the strikers, he's on the ball far more, and he starts scoring goals and looking like a player again.

I'm just at a loss to understand why you think you know better than the manager, to be honest, especially when the tactics have got us 11 points from five games and put us 5th in the form table (6 games) and 3rd in the form table from those five games, only behind Man Utd and Chelsea? And when the man in question has gone on a great little scoring run, and both Viduka and Martins have been scoring as well?

I should rephrase my comment, too, as it's impossible to write-off anyone really. I should have said that I think Owen will be less effective up top than he will where he is now, especially if you're swapping him with Viduka. Think you've missed entirely what role Owen is currently playing if you think Viduka can play it, as Gol has pointed out.

No disagree with it.

A lot of people were happy to get shot of Owen prior to this run of form in his new position, remember?

I'd actually say the majority, on here at least, would have been happy to get shot and keep Martins ahead of him. Then Keegan moves him in behind the strikers, he's on the ball far more, and he starts scoring goals and looking like a player again.

I'm just at a loss to understand why you think you know better than the manager, to be honest, especially when the tactics have got us 11 points from five games and put us 5th in the form table (6 games) and 3rd in the form table from those five games, only behind Man Utd and Chelsea? And when the man in question has gone on a great little scoring run, and both Viduka and Martins have been scoring as well?

I should rephrase my comment, too, as it's impossible to write-off anyone really. I should have said that I think Owen will be less effective up top than he will where he is now, especially if you're swapping him with Viduka. Think you've missed entirely what role Owen is currently playing if you think Viduka can play it, as Gol has pointed out.

Don't disagree with much of what you say, but I still wonder how we would look with a genuine attacking midfielder playing in the Owen role? Obviously one who can also score goals. Against that, you'd be hard pushed to find one that would steal in for as many as Owen so a bit of a dilemma.

Exactly, but we were talking about replacing him with Viduka. Almost qualified it with exactly what you've just put, but didn't want to sway too much from the current issue.

A genuine, top-class attacking midfielder who also scores goals and takes set pieces (preferrably) would probably be an improvement on Owen. But then what do you do with Owen? That sort of brings us nicely back to my initial point about his performances up top.

Guest fraser

No disagree with it.

Don't disagree with much of what you say, but I still wonder how we would look with a genuine attacking midfielder playing in the Owen role? Obviously one who can also score goals. Against that, you'd be hard pushed to find one that would steal in for as many as Owen so a bit of a dilemma.

In the current system Owen is difficult to pick up and finds space for himself in midfield because he is a very good and intelligent footballer, as opposed to simply a good finisher. He draws a midfielder away giving Butt more space, which he has used excellently of late. Failing that he draws out a defender disrupting their defensive shape. At Portsmouth I think they set up to deal with this and that's part of the reason they were so poor. They actually treated us, I felt, like a top eight side rather than a side scrapping relegation.

Another outcome is that Martins has been liberated. He tied up Campbell and Distin for most of the evening and had Viduka been more effective (still not fit) we would have won imo.

Many strikers have had the ability to adapt to a midfield role totally and Owen really can cope with it for periods throughout a game against all but the best sides.

I did say "Big credit" Keegan for the system he deserves a lot of credit for changing it around and getting the best out of a good number of the players most notable Nicky Butt who for me the stand out figure has played his spare man when in possession/deeper role superbly covering, breaking up play, starting attacks there are a lot of players benefiting from there new roles.

However considering what Mark Viduka is good at (linking play deep, holding the ball up deep, bouncing attacks off of) and what Michael Owen is good at (movement in the space in behind defenders high up the pitch, box movement high up the pitch, box finishing high up the pitch) its something worth debating over a small change that could dare I say it benefit the new system.

I think we'd be top five contenders with Owen playing in this midfield position and a mobile/fit version of Viduka up front, the reason being we're going to pick up alot of points against lesser teams if we have goals from both midfield and up front.

From his current performances, Owen is getting at least two good chances per game whilst contributing to us playing on the deck because he's so tidy on the ball. That's brilliant for a midfielder, because not many are able to get on the end of chances so frequently on a consistent basis, and I acknowledge that this comparison is not of players in the same calibre, but if you ignore the phoney stepovers and showboating and put to one side the goals that he's getting due to his pace or flair or free kicks, it is essentially what Crisitiano Ronaldo is doing so successfully right now on a base level. As mentioned, put certain things aside that he does once in a while, he's basically playing a tidy game where he brings his teamates into play, letting others pull the strings or do the real playmaking, whlist he ghosts into scoring positions from midfield, getting a handful of chances per game and now managing to put one or two away on a consistent basis.

Again, not a good comparison, but the effect is pretty much similar for us, with Owen using his timing and intelligence to get these chances. The ultimate result is that we have another dimension to our attacking game, and to say the least given what weve seen for the past half decade nearly, its extremely refreshing.

Gallowgate End:

You're not looking into it enough, I'd say. There's more to the current players and their recent successes than just what you personally perceive their strengths to be. Owen has been running more than anyone else, apparently, do you really think Viduka could do that? He's up and down the pitch for the entire game and is helping out in defence as well as in attack, closing down, harrying, cutting off angles for opposing midfielders.

Viduka has been more mobile as well since the tactics have changed, but he surely couldn't do the job that Owen's doing to the same degree? Even Viduka himself has said he needs Martins and Owen to do his running for him, that's why he's a more stationary fulcrum, that's why it's made all three look much better. Even Martins and Owen have agreed with this in interviews I've watched on Newcastle World. The whole attacking dimension is based around Martins and Owen being Viduka's legs... but you want that to change? So Viduka does the running and Owen stays up front!?

And even discounting all of this evidence from primary sources (harks back to A-Level history, that!), if we do switch to having Viduka in behind the two smaller "pacier" strikers, who holds the ball up front? Who wins the headers from goal kicks and all that? I could go on here, as well... it's just madness man. I've been trying not to be rude or condescending, I haven't even declared your opinion "bizarre", but howay!

Why change a formula that's working?

Fair enough. I personally don't think he's quick enough to play "on the shoulder" these days, because most Premiership centre halves aren't the cumbering giants of old. He has struggled when playing up front this season, from what I've seen, looking absolutely toothless at times. Obviously his rehabilitation from injury and lack of match sharpness at times comes into it, but he's certainly lost a fair bit of his pace and a good chunk of his initial acceleration over a few yards. He barely got a touch of the ball during his games up front in a 4-4-2 either, did he? He was more detrimental to the team at times, in my opinion, because he wasn't involved and he wasn't a threat over the top.

Everyone sees a different game though, as they say, 4 goals in 4 games says a lot though - and he's been playing very, very well at times too.

"don't think he's quick enough to play "on the shoulder" these days."  :idiot2: . Plus, to be fair, in that 4-4-2 under kk:

1. Midfielders were creating nothing

2. His partner was Smith

3. Recovering from long time injury

4. Whole team were playing crap

If you change the formation now, it'd be totally different picture. (Not that I think formation should be changed)

Guest Knightrider

Viduka rarely ventures away from his central position up top and that's because he simply doesn't have the legs, so he'd be useless in Owen's current position. Meanwhile Owen's lack of pace and strength mean he now struggles to play on the last man, effectively reducing his game to nothing in that position. And someone wants to reverse the roles? Madness.

They all have to stay put, the trio are playing in their best positions and tinkering with that would unbalance not only their own games but the whole team too.

As Keegan said, if it ain't broke...

"don't think he's quick enough to play "on the shoulder" these days."  :idiot2: . Plus, to be fair, in that 4-4-2 under kk:

2. His partner was Smith

If you change the formation now, it'd be totally different picture. (Not that I think formation should be changed)

I realise all of that 1-4 stuff as well, but like I said, everyone sees a different game. Owen is looking as good as he ever has done for us at the minute, whether it be because he's simply match fit after a run of games or because he's motivated, or because he's more involved in the game... could be a number of reasons, or a combination of all of them.

I suppose we'll see, though, somewhere down the line. Can he still do the business at the very top of the pitch, where he'll need to score goals and be involved in the play as well? We're not good enough to accomodate a striker who can only play in the box and score scrappy goals, which is what he was doing before the formation change, but like you said it could be because of a number of reasons there as well.

The fact of the matter as pertains to the player himself is that he's lost a load of pace and acceleration due to the injuries and is having to model his game accordingly, much like Shearer did after 1997 and particularly after Robson arrived, I'm amused that people are trying to pick holes in the current gameplan, when we're yet to lose since it came into effect. We're not playing like the Entertainers of old, but the improvement has been massive, and I'd bet if you asked which player was the #1 reason for that, the people that matter would say Michael Owen, playing in the role that he is now.

Everyone's a fucking manager these days, aren't they? All we can really do is support the bloke who actually makes the decisions and be happy when things are going well - which they definitely are at the moment.

For the record, as well, if we went back to a 4-4-2 with the players currently available, I think we'd be nowhere near the team we have been since Birmingham. Absolutely nowhere near.

Viduka rarely ventures away from his central position up top and that's because he simply doesn't have the legs, so he'd be useless in Owen's current position. Meanwhile Owen's lack of pace and strength mean he now struggles to play on the last man, effectively reducing his game to nothing in that position. And someone wants to reverse the roles? Madness.

They all have to stay put, the trio are playing in their best positions and tinkering with that would unbalance not only their own games but the whole team too.

As Keegan said, if it ain't broke...

Don't fix it!

But if it is broken, just ring Jim and he'll fix it.

People are having a hard time accepting Owen's current role simply because its Owen. If it had been Emre or Zog playing the "Owen role" for the last 4-5 games as well as Owen has I dont think there would be this level of second-guessing. I dont understand why people refuse to believe Owen has more to his game then playing on the shoulder...

2. His partner was Smith

I realise all of that 1-4 stuff as well, but like I said, everyone sees a different game. Owen is looking as good as he ever has done for us at the minute, whether it be because he's simply match fit after a run of games or because he's motivated, or because he's more involved in the game... could be a number of reasons, or a combination of all of them.

I suppose we'll see, though, somewhere down the line. Can he still do the business at the very top of the pitch, where he'll need to score goals and be involved in the play as well? We're not good enough to accomodate a striker who can only play in the box and score scrappy goals, which is what he was doing before the formation change, but like you said it could be because of a number of reasons there as well.

The fact of the matter as pertains to the player himself is that he's lost a load of pace and acceleration due to the injuries and is having to model his game accordingly, much like Shearer did after 1997 and particularly after Robson arrived, I'm amused that people are trying to pick holes in the current gameplan, when we're yet to lose since it came into effect. We're not playing like the Entertainers of old, but the improvement has been massive, and I'd bet if you asked which player was the #1 reason for that, the people that matter would say Michael Owen, playing in the role that he is now.

Everyone's a f****** manager these days, aren't they? All we can really do is support the bloke who actually makes the decisions and be happy when things are going well - which they definitely are at the moment.

For the record, as well, if we went back to a 4-4-2 with the players currently available, I think we'd be nowhere near the team we have been since Birmingham. Absolutely nowhere near.

I agree will all that 100%. If we went back to 4-4-2, it'll be much less effective than our 4-3-3.

My point is THAT 4-4-2 can't be a judgement (above 4 reasons) to suggest that MO's finished as an out an out striker or not quick enough to play "on the shoulder".

Owen does get cut an awful lot of slack. When he's not previously been scoring, the problem is apparently 'the service'. When he is scoring, it's like he's doing it on his own. I'm sure if he wasn't scoring now, everyone would be saying that he's being played out of position.

His performances in the withdrawn role have been okay, not brilliant. He's still able to get on the end of chances in the box, and that's an asset. On the other hand, he's not a great passer of the ball, and longer term we need to look for better options in that position if we're going to progress.

Agreed.

Another thing to consider is that even at his best Owen was always a streaky player at Liverpool, form wise as a scoring striker that is. He generally scored in clusters, and then would go through an accompanying flat spell. Likewise i don't think he has the attributes - ie. the loss of his acceleration off the mark - these days that matches up well against the athletic centrehalves of the day. As an 'on the shoulder' striker i can no longer see him lighting up the scoring charts in a manner which is comparable to his previous hot spells of form during his Liverpool years, and even then he never hit the 20 goal mark - ie. in the league. Durability & injuries, and the aforementioned tendency to score in clusters and then to hit a barren spell, played their respective parts in this.

With his reduced attributes, and he is a much easier one-on-one match-up in the wake of his injuries, it's key to involve him in the game early. Even it's just being involved in some simple link-up/passing play. The key is to keep his confidence level up.

But he still has the predatory instincts, and the football smarts needed to read the play & the midfield/attackers teammates' movement, and he's been drifting into scoring positions because he's tough for a central defender to track him into the box when he is playing so deep.

And Capello says that seeing Owen in that new role has certainly given him food for thought, commenting: "Michael Owen has made me think.

"Recently he has been playing in a different role behind the two strikers for Newcastle and I believe he is scoring because he is playing in that different role."