Full backs next season

TRon

Guest Knightrider

Beye and Enrique are more than adequate for our team at current, but long-term I do wonder. Defensively they are better than they are offensively and unless KK can get more out of them in an attacking sense, I can see him looking at those areas and bringing in the attributes they either lack or he can't get out of them. Hardly a priority though so I don't see that happening anytime soon unless we are forced to (injuries) or simply have to (a top player becoming available out of the blue or being touted to us).

We need midfielders. Anyone who thinks different is wrong

So we dont need another top forward player considering Owen and Viduka's injury history?

More than a midfielder? No.

Our midfield, despite the last couple of games, is sub-standard. Butt, Geremi and Duff are all pretty much past it, Emre never plays, N'Zogbia looks to be on his way out, Barton might go to jail, and Milner is average. What does that leave us with?

Beye and Enrique are more than adequate for our team at current, but long-term I do wonder. Defensively they are better than they are offensively and unless KK can get more out of them in an attacking sense, I can see him looking at those areas and bringing in the attributes they either lack or he can't get out of them. Hardly a priority though so I don't see that happening anytime soon unless we are forced to (injuries) or simply have to (a top player becoming available out of the blue or being touted to us).

If we don't give Carr a new contract then we will only have one fullback on each side, we need fullbacks even if they are not our number one priority.

Talk in a couple of the papers today that we have targeted Wayne Bridge and John Arne Riise. Can't see either coming to sit on the bench so if there's any truth in it, obviously Keegan feels that full backs are a priority. Can't say I agree but then he's paid to be the manager, not me.

Guest teepee

if carr leaves we need cover - but i'd like to see us go for a youngster or two to cover beye and enrique.

however, if bridge comes i will be first choice, but that will also result in enrique leaving.

also think "first season in a foreign league in a team which has been largely poor"  these two have probably been the successes of the season.

I've never been that impressed with Bridge while playing for Chelsea. I think there could be better options out there.

I agree, I might have to add this to the mistake thread if he comes here and looks good.

• 2 weeks later...

Something which might not have been mentioned wrt the defence, in the match against Portsmouth especially, just how useful it is to have two big strong defensive full backs. Enrique on a few occasions darted into the centre to help out Faye when he was under pressure, and Beye has been doing it all season. It makes the job of the centre backs so much easier when they have defenders of such quality at their shoulder. It's all well and good having fancy wingers come defenders flying down the channels but I have always liked defenders who can defend personally. These two definitely can.