Viduka interview

Willow

from todays Journal

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/04/05/keegan-s-spark-lights-a-fire-for-viduka-61634-20723075/

Keegan’s spark lights a fire for Viduka

Mark Viduka’s return to fitness has coincided with Newcastle’s return to form. In an exclusive interview he talks to chief sports writer Luke Edwards about how Kevin Keegan helped him fall back in love with the beautiful game

IT is the favourite catchphrase of the ageing lothario that they are only as old as the woman they feel, but for ageing Premier League strikers it is perhaps more a case of only feeling as old as the strikers they partner.

Kevin Keegan’s return to St James’s Park has helped give Mark Viduka a new lease of life at Newcastle United, but it has as much to do with the presence of Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins as it does with the Magpies’ charismatic manager.

Having grown up in Melbourne, Viduka shares the typically chilled Antipodean attitude to life, but he also has – even if it is well hidden at times – the fierce competitive streak which marks out so many of his country’s sportsmen and women. When he returned to the side against Birmingham, Newcastle were in danger of slipping into the bottom three. Three games later and they are nine points clear of the drop zone and playing the sort of football supporters dreamed of when Keegan returned.

“I’m really enjoying my football at the moment, very much so in fact,” said Viduka. “I’m probably not the only one. After the game on Sunday against Tottenham I’m just buzzing, absolutely buzzing. It’s not often you go to a place like Tottenham, play so well and get a result like we did.

“I’ve not always enjoyed my football, if I’m honest. It is like every job, some days it’s good, some days it’s not. People looking in from the outside might think that’s strange because playing football is something a lot of people would love to do, but it’s different than people imagine sometimes.

“The good times and the bad times are magnified in football, if anything. It’s great when things are going well, but it can be very tough when things are bad. There have been periods in my career when I haven’t been happy.

“But it’s days like we had last weekend that make it all worthwhile. I’m thrilled with the way things are going under Kevin Keegan and I’m thoroughly enjoying my football again.”

For those who have watched Viduka throughout his career it will come as little surprise to discover that he has not always been happy with his lot.

Supremely talented, there have, nevertheless, been times when he has looked as though he is merely going through the motions on and off the pitch.

But, after six months of trying to adapt to former manager Sam Allardyce’s carefully-planned systems and rigid formations, Viduka has found a manager who is not only capable of inspiring him, but also one who shares many of the same ideas about how the game should be played.

“Kevin is a huge part of why I’m happy,” said Viduka. “He’s the one who is pulling the strings, isn’t he?

“I think over the last few weeks, the way we have played and the style we have played as a team has been different because of him.

“It’s a good thing to be part of. I believe football should be played a certain way and I agree with the manager’s philosophy.

“Then again, I’m an attacker so I would say that, wouldn’t I? I think, ideally, every team would like to play attacking football, it’s certainly a style of football I enjoy and long may it continue. But it’s not just about attack, attack, attack, we have been solid at the back as well.”

At 32 and with a physique susceptible to tweaks and strains, it is a constant challenge to keep Viduka out of the treatment room, but there is no questioning his desire to play. It is difficult to remember the striker sounding more enthusiastic about what the future may hold as he suggested the presence of Martins and Owen would prolong his career.

“People used to say that Craig Bellamy was Alan Shearer’s legs as he was so quick and did so much running, but I’m lucky because I’ve got two quick players around me,” said Viduka, who has another 12 months left on his Newcastle contract, with the option of another year after that.

“I don’t know how many years I’ve got left as a player, as many as possible. If I can be involved in a team like this, it would be great to be playing for as long as I possibly can.

“It’s a really positive club at the moment and it’s exciting to be a part of that.

“It’s not just the football club either, the whole town seems to be positive about things. Some of the football we played against Tottenham was outstanding and you don’t want to give that up.

“You know, I’ve got those two up there with me and I hope they can prolong my career. I’m very excited about the prospect, that’s for sure.

“We played quite well against Fulham and got the result we needed. It could have been better in terms of how we played, but against Spurs you really saw what we are capable of and that really excites me.

“If anything, the more we play together the better it is going to get which is a mouth-watering prospect.

“I guess I’m the focal point, the battering ram as it were. I give the team the option to hold the ball up if that’s what is needed and the other guys can play off me.

“They love running at people. If those two get on the ball high up the pitch they are so dangerous, which is what I try and give them.”

:thup:

Its all good stuff at the minute, hard to believe just a few weeks ago we were on the brink.

Bonkers really isnt it. It like one huge love in at the minute.

Its bringing back the one thing that KK and SBR brought to this club that none of the others did - good PR

Even getting to 2 Wembley Cup finals under Dalglish and Gullit didnt have the feel good factor attached to it, that has been around this last fortnight. Bizarre.

Viduka is top-class, just a shame he's had another one of "those" seasons as far as fitness is concerned.

Doesn't seem a bad bloke to be honest and as long as he's doing the business on the park then that's all we can ask of the FAB.

Guest diddimz

that said though his role with the socceroos isnt to score goals, he has had players around him to do that, hes more link up play and build up for us.

Guest michaelfoster

Decent player but pretty lazy on the field. Id let him go next summer rather than extending it the extra year

that said though his role with the socceroos isnt to score goals, he has had players around him to do that, hes more link up play and build up for us.

Exactly - he never got the goals himself but layed them off for the likes of Kewell, Bresciano and Cahill. And in a country as ignorant as ours it's all the more remarkable that a striker who doesn't score goals is revered for what he does accomplish!

Guest diddimz

Exactly - he never got the goals himself but layed them off for the likes of Kewell, Bresciano and Cahill. And in a country as ignorant as ours it's all the more remarkable that a striker who doesn't score goals is revered for what he does accomplish!

He has played for a premier league club, its a big thing in our country, hell that twat foster gets more recognition then he deserves all because which league he played in. Though its still amazing how higih he is admired here, he will always go down as one of the biggest greatest players for us ever

He's decidied to continue his international career which he's entitled to, but considering how shagged he was after playing for Australia last summer, we should definitely be looking to bring in a top target man for next season. That way Viduka can be used more sparingly and his fitness issues won't have such an impact.

it`s a pity he`s decided to continue his intl career from a selfish Toon point of view. He could`ve done what Shearer and other have done by retiring and extending his career by 2 years or so at club level. His decision though

Really you want the dooks with all the motivation you can get. The man is prone to prolonged and severe descents into pie binges, which blunt his effectiveness for months on end.

In fact, in about 10 years of being a #1 dooks fan, the only time I can remember him being truly fit was in the lead up to the last world cup, and in the season afterwards where he piled on about 15 goals or so for boro.

I hope Kev replayed the classic Hiddink introduction of taking a handful of the big man's love handles and proclaiming

"too fat"

in front of everyone.

Trust me, last summer he wasn't fit for Australia, he wasn't fit for NUFC, he wasn't fit for anyone. He went close to creating a small bathing pond in the centre circle at the start of each Asian Cup game just waiting for kick-off. But Australia and NUFC both had fat jokes of managers back then, and dooks wasn't coming up to the end of his contract. Before I'd heard these latest rumblings I'd assumed he was going to sit about on the bench next season, regularly trotting out the back for a few more chips and some extra tomato sauce. If he wants to play on though, that means he's going to want another contract and that's good news for everyone.

it`s a pity he`s decided to continue his intl career from a selfish Toon point of view. He could`ve done what Shearer and other have done by retiring and extending his career by 2 years or so at club level. His decision though

Really you want the dooks with all the motivation you can get. The man is prone to prolonged and severe descents into pie binges, which blunt his effectiveness for months on end.

In fact, in about 10 years of being a #1 dooks fan, the only time I can remember him being truly fit was in the lead up to the last world cup, and in the season afterwards where he piled on about 15 goals or so for boro.

I hope Kev replayed the classic Hiddink introduction of taking a handful of the big man's love handles and proclaiming

"too fat"

in front of everyone.

Trust me, last summer he wasn't fit for Australia, he wasn't fit for NUFC, he wasn't fit for anyone. He went close to creating a small bathing pond in the centre circle at the start of each Asian Cup game just waiting for kick-off. But Australia and NUFC both had fat jokes of managers back then, and dooks wasn't coming up to the end of his contract. Before I'd heard these latest rumblings I'd assumed he was going to sit about on the bench next season, regularly trotting out the back for a few more chips and some extra tomato sauce. If he wants to play on though, that means he's going to want another contract and that's good news for everyone.

If he wants to play on that's fine but I wouldn't want to rely on him as our only target man. Class player without a doubt (are you there Northern Monkey  :lol: ) but I can't see him being fit on a regular basis. He might be fat on a regular basis, that's quite close, only one letter difference in there...

If he wants to play on that's fine but I wouldn't want to rely on him as our only target man. Class player without a doubt (are you there Northern Monkey  :lol: ) but I can't see him being fit on a regular basis. He might be fat on a regular basis, that's quite close, only one letter difference in there...

Oh I'd never advocate relying on him in any way. I have some doubt as to whether he can actually tell the difference between fit and fat, as he seems much happier being fat, and only seems to get fit after being prodded, pushed and cajoled for months. But I just have a weakness for the man, he has to be the most attractive big man to squeeze into a NUFC shirt on his day, when he pulls the most utterly sublime and ridiculous touches out of his (sizeable) arse.

Gives all us FABs delusions that we too can pirouette on a single blade of grass to pop in a goal from 25 yards like it was something you could do any time you wanted.

Clearly though any smart opposition would set up a free meat pie stand about 15 yards to the side of and behind their goal mouth. Would completely throw the big man's radar.

Oh I'd never advocate relying on him in any way. I have some doubt as to whether he can actually tell the difference between fit and fat, as he seems much happier being fat, and only seems to get fit after being prodded, pushed and cajoled for months. But I just have a weakness for the man, he has to be the most attractive big man to squeeze into a NUFC shirt on his day, when he pulls the most utterly sublime and ridiculous touches out of his (sizeable) arse.

Gives all us FABs delusions that we too can pirouette on a single blade of grass to pop in a goal from 25 yards like it was something you could do any time you wanted.

Clearly though any smart opposition would set up a free meat pie stand about 15 yards to the side of and behind their goal mouth. Would completely throw the big man's radar.

:laugh: