How Keegan stole Distin from Newcastle

TRon

Nitrous oxide, I think.

A mate of mine nicked a canister of it from the lab when we were at college. Hid it in a locker so we could stop by and have a quick inhale from time to time. Weird stuff. You just have to laugh at things, even though they're not funny.

Have any of you lot actually met each other in person? Like, NE5, Mick, Ozzie, Baggio, etc...? Would be funny if someone fed you all with a dose of nitrogen or something and unleashed you in a 10x10 room. That'd be good TV.

YAWN, btw.

Leave me out of it.  :lol:

Have any of you lot actually met each other in person? Like, NE5, Mick, Ozzie, Baggio, etc...? Would be funny if someone fed you all with a dose of nitrogen or something and unleashed you in a 10x10 room. That'd be good TV.

YAWN, btw.

well Yorkie, there are some posters on here that I do know, had a pint with, a couple I know well, but don't need to spend any time educating them

Nitrous oxide, I think.

A mate of mine nicked a canister of it from the lab when we were at college. Hid it in a locker so we could stop by and have a quick inhale from time to time. Weird stuff. You just have to laugh at things, even though they're not funny.

Sounds like mushrooms.

I always liked the look of Distin who was clearly an athlete even then. Keegan and Robson both saw something in him as well, so they did their bit right in identifying a good target. Keegan stole in when we failed to agree terms which looked a bad decision back then and looks even more short-sighted now. I know Robson was keen to sign him and his judgerment should have been backed.

His judgement was backed with numerous players, probably most players he wanted on the face of it, some were great successes, some were not.

I agree with you, re backing the manager, but you have to accept that sometimes it may not be financially possible otherwise you have to accept that NOT accepting this means you can't then complain if the club "overspends" ?

Do you see the point ?

I see the point, you are saying the club as a whole has to count it's beans accordingly. Obviously we, as a club with an ambitious board needed to employ bean-counters to work out which players we could afford. Even though Man City were an inferior club, they could afford to pay a few peanuts more, for which I commend them.

You are talking about one player, and making a case for one player moving to a differnet club because of an agenda with a personality.

Your initial comments prove this completely.

Man City found the money to buy this one player at the time, of course they did, but which of the 2 clubs ie us and Man City, backed the managers the most, acheived the most qualifications for europe.

You can't say that Man City were better and bigger than us on the basis of siging ONE player, without looking at the overall performance of both clubs

Basically, if any Man City fan would swap their last decade for ours, then they are a bloody idiot.. And this is the bigger picture.

I am talking about a player who I really rated during his spell here, who Robson wanted to sign who then was allowed to sign for Man City instead due to in your own words a bean counter in the board room. If we didn't have enough beans, how come we splurged £5m worth on Bramble?

There were other players Robson wanted but was denied, like Miguel - we got Carr instead. Fair enough we went for the cheaper option which I don't object to if the funds aren't there. I hope that last sentence registered. I am not the one who first used the term 'bean counter' with regard to a Chairman. Personally I reckon if someone is putting the beans in, they are entitled to count them in any case. It seems fantastically hypocritical to accuse one person of being a bean counter and then defending someone else for doing the exact same thing.

it has indeed, so now, what exactly are you whinging about ?

When Ashley and whoever he employs to run the club ie Mort show genuine ambition ie real amibition to put together a team to match the other top teams, for the club then I basically won't question them if they say the money for the moment is more or less been spent . I think this is fairly straightforward.

You just can't say they should back the manager for every player he wants, then slate them for overspending.

Sounds like a case of counting beans. I know you were big advocates of spending money on shite like Benjani during the January window in panic mode, probably how we ended up spening £8m on Boumong during Souness's time most likely.I'll bet someone ended up counting a few beans after that one eh?  O0

I always liked the look of Distin who was clearly an athlete even then. Keegan and Robson both saw something in him as well, so they did their bit right in identifying a good target. Keegan stole in when we failed to agree terms which looked a bad decision back then and looks even more short-sighted now. I know Robson was keen to sign him and his judgerment should have been backed.

His judgement was backed with numerous players, probably most players he wanted on the face of it, some were great successes, some were not.

I agree with you, re backing the manager, but you have to accept that sometimes it may not be financially possible otherwise you have to accept that NOT accepting this means you can't then complain if the club "overspends" ?

Do you see the point ?

I see the point, you are saying the club as a whole has to count it's beans accordingly. Obviously we, as a club with an ambitious board needed to employ bean-counters to work out which players we could afford. Even though Man City were an inferior club, they could afford to pay a few peanuts more, for which I commend them.

You are talking about one player, and making a case for one player moving to a differnet club because of an agenda with a personality.

Your initial comments prove this completely.

Man City found the money to buy this one player at the time, of course they did, but which of the 2 clubs ie us and Man City, backed the managers the most, acheived the most qualifications for europe.

You can't say that Man City were better and bigger than us on the basis of siging ONE player, without looking at the overall performance of both clubs

Basically, if any Man City fan would swap their last decade for ours, then they are a bloody idiot.. And this is the bigger picture.

I am talking about a player who I really rated during his spell here, who Robson wanted to sign who then was allowed to sign for Man City instead due to in your own words a bean counter in the board room. If we didn't have enough beans, how come we splurged £5m worth on Bramble?

There were other players Robson wanted but was denied, like Miguel - we got Carr instead. Fair enough we went for the cheaper option which I don't object to if the funds aren't there. I hope that last sentence registered. I am not the one who first used the term 'bean counter' with regard to a Chairman. Personally I reckon if someone is putting the beans in, they are entitled to count them in any case. It seems fantastically hypocritical to accuse one person of being a bean counter and then defending someone else for doing the exact same thing.

it has indeed, so now, what exactly are you whinging about ?

When Ashley and whoever he employs to run the club ie Mort show genuine ambition ie real amibition to put together a team to match the other top teams, for the club then I basically won't question them if they say the money for the moment is more or less been spent . I think this is fairly straightforward.

You just can't say they should back the manager for every player he wants, then slate them for overspending.

Sounds like a case of counting beans. I know you were big advocates of spending money on shite like Benjani during the January window in panic mode, probably how we ended up spening £8m on Boumong during Souness's time most likely.I'll bet someone ended up counting a few beans after that one eh?  O0

equally, we could have spent 12m quid on Tevez but people like you would say we are better off buying free transfers like Viduka.

Simple and fairly basic fact is that if you don't show ambition and compete with the big clubs you won't match them, and in the real world everybody makes mistakes, but I realise you simply have an agenda with an individual so won't accept this.

To put it in more simple terms, have you ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

To repeat again, if you think the board should back a manager for every player he wants, then you can't complain if they "overspend". Do you accept this or not.

in the real world everybody makes mistakes

So you've given up the absurd insistence that you are always right? Or does this only apply when you can't think of a less lame excuse for one of Shepherd's numerous fuck-ups?

no, I'm always right when I say everyone makes mistakes.

in the real world everybody makes mistakes

So you've given up the absurd insistence that you are always right? Or does this only apply when you can't think of a less lame excuse for one of Shepherd's numerous fuck-ups?

no, I'm always right when I say everyone makes mistakes.

See my av.