Mort - "not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans"

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest elbee909

All he said was "But we're not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans." - what's wrong with that?  This doesn't imply that we're not looking to bring in better players.  People should stop looking for rods to beat each other with here.

That's not him saying we won't be buying big in the summer. My interpretation of his comments is that we won't bid for a Henry or Deco next January if we're struggling, just to keep fans happy.

Fair enough.

I stand by my initial view on this, which is that Keegan wouldn't have returned without some sort of assurance about money to spend in the break.

the only major player we have bought in recent years in January so far as i can recall was Woodgate, and we weren't struggling. But keep it up for comedy value.

Pity we didn't buy Bentley in January too, he'll now cost a bit more in the summer.

Errrrrrrrrrrr where did I say we had bought players in January?

I was talking about next January.

Touched a nerve?

Its not what you say that matters, its what he wants you to have said that matters O0

dear me. The old familiar route then. I'm looking forward to KK bringing in these "trophy players" in January - not that it matters when they come - that will get us back into the Champions League.

What are you ridiculing bringing players into the club in January for ? As I've said, the only player we brought into the club in January was Woodgate, and a top player too at that. Whats wrong with it ?

I don't understand why people are looking at these comments from Mort in a favourable light. To me, if the club is struggling, they need better players and to say anything else is nothing other than comments of a clueless moron.

You're doing it again mate, where does he say we don't need better players?

All he said was "But we're not looking to make one-off signings to appease fans." - what's wrong with that?  This doesn't imply that we're not looking to bring in better players.  People should stop looking for rods to beat each other with here.

I genuinely didn't think I was?

???

That's not him saying we won't be buying big in the summer. My interpretation of his comments is that we won't bid for a Henry or Deco next January if we're struggling, just to keep fans happy.

Fair enough.

I stand by my initial view on this, which is that Keegan wouldn't have returned without some sort of assurance about money to spend in the break.

the only major player we have bought in recent years in January so far as i can recall was Woodgate, and we weren't struggling. But keep it up for comedy value.

Pity we didn't buy Bentley in January too, he'll now cost a bit more in the summer.

Touched a nerve?

why would it touch a nerve ? What nerve ? Who said we have ever bought a major panic signing in January ? Who are they, as Mort is clearly not going to tread down such an unsuccessful path in future ? Do you have an agenda or just like making things up to insinuate it ?

I hope we don't see Keegans reaction if he has a chance of buying a player in January he wants and the board tell him he can't because its January and not the summer

You're unreal.

I was making the point that he seems to be indicating that by implementing a sustainable plan we shouldn't have to panic buy if we struggle, just to please fans because there will be a plan.

I don't think he said anywhere in the article that Keegan couldn't buy a player just because it was January but it would make sense if the player fitted into the plans for the club.

And I think we all know what KK's reaction would be - he'd spit the dummy out.

You're taking this the wrong way. I am not criticising the Shepherd reign (as much as you seem to want me to be). I am saying though that there should not be a need to panic buy if the club have a plan.

rubbish.

If you like, you can take it that I think Mort is talking bollocks, because I think he is.

You can't choose when other clubs decide to sell players that you would like to have at your club. You have to take them when they become available and move for them first.

There is no such thing as this "planning" that people keep harping on about. The best 2 players we brought into the club last summer were the 2 who signed on deadline day, what sort of "planning" was that then ?

Fair enough.

Touched a nerve?

Its not what you say that matters, its what he wants you to have said that matters O0

dear me. The old familiar route then. I'm looking forward to KK bringing in these "trophy players" in January - not that it matters when they come - that will get us back into the Champions League.

What are you ridiculing bringing players into the club in January for ? As I've said, the only player we brought into the club in January was Woodgate, and a top player too at that. Whats wrong with it ?

I don't understand why people are looking at these comments from Mort in a favourable light. To me, if the club is struggling, they need better players and to say anything else is nothing other than comments of a clueless moron.

isn't he saying that we would turn down top quality players in the hope that cheaper younger ones would be better in the long run ?

Just an excuse for lacking ambition, is what I call this. It doesn't work. Total bollocks, and whats more, it won't be Keegans preferred way of doing it either.

Fair enough.

Touched a nerve?

why would it touch a nerve ? What nerve ? Who said we have ever bought a major panic signing in January ? Who are they, as Mort is clearly not going to tread down such an unsuccessful path in future ? Do you have an agenda or just like making things up to insinuate it ?

I hope we don't see Keegans reaction if he has a chance of buying a player in January he wants and the board tell him he can't because its January and not the summer

You're unreal.

I was making the point that he seems to be indicating that by implementing a sustainable plan we shouldn't have to panic buy if we struggle, just to please fans because there will be a plan.

I don't think he said anywhere in the article that Keegan couldn't buy a player just because it was January but it would make sense if the player fitted into the plans for the club.

You're taking this the wrong way. I am not criticising the Shepherd reign (as much as you seem to want me to be). I am saying though that there should not be a need to panic buy if the club have a plan.

rubbish.

If you like, you can take it that I think Mort is talking bollocks, because I think he is.

You can't choose when other clubs decide to sell players that you would like to have at your club. You have to take them when they become available and move for them first.

There is no such thing as this "planning" that people keep harping on about. The best 2 players we brought into the club last summer were the 2 who signed on deadline day, what sort of "planning" was that then ?

Thats funny - because two posts earlier you just said 'pity we didn't buy Bentley in January - he'll cost a lot more in the summer'.

How do you know Blackburn would've sold in January????????

Anyway, I think you've unnecessarily brought the old board into this.

It might be your pet subject, but I'm a bit fed up of reading about them on here to be honest so I'll duck out of this here if you don't mind.

Fair enough.

Touched a nerve?

You're unreal.

rubbish.

Thats funny - because two posts earlier you just said 'pity we didn't buy Bentley in January - he'll cost a lot more in the summer'.

How do you know Blackburn would've sold in January????????

Anyway, I think you've unnecessarily brought the old board into this.

It might be your pet subject, but I'm a bit fed up of reading about them on here to be honest so I'll duck out of this here if you don't mind.

I'm not, I'm talking about the new board and Morts naive comments. This "planning" idea just doesn't work, the only thing that works is the quality of footballer, and the current time is the most important of all, the sooner you are playing in europe at least the better.

This has been said before, but clubs like Newcastle United should be buying the best players from clubs like Blackburn, that will also be Keegans preferred way of doing things.

Fair enough.

Touched a nerve?

isn't he saying that we would turn down top quality players in the hope that cheaper younger ones would be better in the long run ?

Just an excuse for lacking ambition, is what I call this. It doesn't work. Total bollocks, and whats more, it won't be Keegans preferred way of doing it either.

No he isn't.  Thats what you're wanting him to have said.

Seriously, you're not worth talking to mate.  You've made up your mind they are going to fail & won't give them a chance to prove otherwise. 

You're becoming like a caricature on here.

Post what you want from here on in, because I won't be wasting time responding.

Fair enough.

Touched a nerve?

No he isn't.  Thats what you're wanting him to have said.

Seriously, you're not worth talking to mate.  You've made up your mind they are going to fail & won't give them a chance to prove otherwise. 

You're becoming like a caricature on here.

Post what you want from here on in, because I won't be wasting time responding.

I haven't supported the club for over 40 years to "want" them to fail mate. Ludicrous idea.

I've seen the signs from "conservative" chairman in the past, thats all. Turning down the chance to sign a player like Thierry Henry is an absolute joke of an idea, unless you already have someone similar ie Manu or Chelsea.

Only a complete shambles of a club would do a thing like that.

I haven't supported the club for over 40 years to "want" them to fail mate. Ludicrous idea.

I've seen the signs from "conservative" chairman in the past, thats all. Turning down the chance to sign a player like Thierry Henry is an absolute joke of an idea.

When did we turn down the chance of signing Henry?

I've seen the signs from "conservative" chairman in the past, thats all. Turning down the chance to sign a player like Thierry Henry is an absolute joke of an idea.

When did we turn down the chance of signing Henry?

I'm not getting into another debate with you. You thought it was great selling the likes of Gazza

I'm not getting into another debate with you. You thought it was great selling the likes of Gazza

I guess we didn't turn down the chance then, thanks for that.   :thup:

I guess we didn't turn down the chance then, thanks for that.   :thup:

Will MIcheal Owen do instead, or is he not a "trophy" signing anymore  mackems.gif

If he's got any respect for the members of Newcastle-Online and their mental health, Chris Mort should keep his f****** mouth shut.

bluelaugh.gif

Shepherd always kept his mouth shut [/runs for the hills]

and the relevance is ?

If he's got any respect for the members of Newcastle-Online and their mental health, Chris Mort should keep his f****** mouth shut.

bluelaugh.gif

Shepherd always kept his mouth shut [/runs for the hills]

and the relevance is ?

The bold bit, I guess.

Will MIcheal Owen do instead, or is he not a "trophy" signing anymore  mackems.gif

No, Michael Owen will not do, you said Henry so he will do.

so its Henry or nobody then ?

Take it up with Chris Mort.

I've seen the signs from "conservative" chairman in the past, thats all. Turning down the chance to sign a player like Thierry Henry is an absolute joke of an idea, unless you already have someone similar ie Manu or Chelsea.

You said you didn't want the club to sign Deco last Summer.

"We should not pay big money for players of this age, however much Ashley is prepared to throw at the club, which may not be much in actual fact, time will tell. It is not fair or reasonable to expect people to throw their own money at the club.

I don't consider this to be a signing towards the building of a team, it is for publicity, and in that respect is more of a trophy signing for publicity purposes more than any signing we ever made under the Halls and Shepherd, because we didn't buy a single player at that age for the amount of money he may cost.

We would be far better buying a quality player in their early 20's."

http://z3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index.php?showtopic=2902&st=25

So basically you disagreed with them when they were rumoured to be after a big name signing because you didn't see it as building a team spending big money on someone that age, now that Mort as come out and agreed with you you're moaning about that and want us to sign Henry. mackems.gif

so its Henry or nobody then ?

Take it up with Chris Mort.

I'll make sure he's aware of your concerns as he clearly said that.   :lol:

do you or don't you agree that the club should show ambition to buy top quality footballers when they become available ?

Or do you think that buying average ones with an eye on the books and not taking risks to challenge the other top clubs is the way forward ?

Can't be much clearer than that. I won't bother answering you until I get a straight answer for once.