Keegan wants a left back.

Baggio

I'd be gutted if we had to rely on Taylor or Edgar as left back cover next season, neither are good enough to cover that position at this level long term.

Keegan doesn't think so either or he wouldn't be talking about signing one.

I said if we're absoltuely desperate. I think we should sign another youngster. Not a Riise or a Bridge, who would come in with big reputation, wanting big wages and first team football. There's no need; Enrique's a good player.

It's a difficult balance, I agree with everyone saying we should be looking for a understudy to Enrique. Needs to be someone young enough to settle for second position most of the time but good enough to fill in when required.

And given that Jose is so young, whoever it is won't have the prospect of replacing him in the long term either, which makes it even more difficult to find somebody suitable.

Although I like Enrique, if we can get a better left back who would expect to play most games, I wouldn't complain.

Football is dog eat dog. Niceness and sentimentality costs league places.

They've got to stick with Enrique as first choice, we're not going to get anyone better than what he can become and if we stop playing him would only really hinder his development. Mattock would be an interesting shout, looks good when I have seen him but from what I've read Leicester would want £5million plus (although that could clearly change if things don't go their way in the last few games).

Wouldn't it hinder Mattock's development sat on our bench every week?

Mattock is only 17 so probably isn't ready to be a starter in the premier league, whereas Enrique is 22

I'd sign Chimbonda, he looks quality whatever position he plays in at the back.

prefer a left footed LB myself, never keen on players playing on the wrong side so to speak due to the cutting in they have to do. Not as bad if they are a pacy,tricky winger (see Hleb,Ronaldo,Nani) but full backs need to be able to go round the outside and whip balls in.

prefer a left footed LB myself, never keen on players playing on the wrong side so to speak due to the cutting in they have to do. Not as bad if they are a pacy,tricky winger (see Hleb,Ronaldo,Nani) but full backs need to be able to go round the outside and whip balls in.

I've been impressed when I've seen him at left back for Spurs with Hutton right back, gets up and down the pitch well and seems to put more pressure on the winger to defend against him rather than the other way around.

That just says nowt but hassle to me. He wouldn't come in as a permanent left-back, and he wouldn't come in to cover left-back. And given his attitude, he'd want to be in the team every week, meaning he'd have to replace Beye (which is hardly necassary).

Aye, we could try Beye at centre-back in that case, but what if it didn't work? So we've signed one stroppy player and thus mistreated our best current one. If Keegan puts Beye back in at full-back consequently, Chimbonda kicks up a fuss, yada yada yada. We don't want them players imo.

I wish we'd just leave our defense alone tbh. Aye, bring in a left-back for cover, but the defensive personnel is good. The only 'proper' signing i'd like us to make (if we were to make one), would be a quality centre-back to partner Faye. We've got a history of not leaving well enough alone. Leave it!

IMO :D

I've been impressed when I've seen him at left back for Spurs with Hutton right back, gets up and down the pitch well and seems to put more pressure on the winger to defend against him rather than the other way around.

Aye he has been playing well, just a personal preference of mine. Maldini & Zambrotta aside i can't think of too many full backs that don't play their natural side in the good teams over the years.

Guest marky555

Would hate to get Riise, he's awful, unbelievable to see how quickly he's fell within such a short period of time.

Alot of people still think Riise is a good player due to the fact he USED TO BE a good player a few years ago. Which he was, he WAS quality.

He rarely gets his game and when he does he's shite.

Make a conscious decision to watch him properly when he does play for Liverpool and everyone will realise how bad he is actually is.

Although I like Enrique, if we can get a better left back who would expect to play most games, I wouldn't complain.

Football is dog eat dog. Niceness and sentimentality costs league places.

I agree with you, but - in this case - that comment would be relevant if Enrique was only OK. He's a good player, potentially excellent. This is not a position we should be concerned about!

Sounds like a stupid question but would people care if we got a better albeit older LB which forced Enrique out the team?

No, like I said, we shouldn't put sentimentality ahead of having better players.

Only assessment needed would be an estimated comparison of quality both when the player joins, and when the player reaches the end of his contract. Those are the only two important things.

That just says nowt but hassle to me. He wouldn't come in as a permanent left-back, and he wouldn't come in to cover left-back. And given his attitude, he'd want to be in the team every week, meaning he'd have to replace Beye (which is hardly necassary).

Aye, we could try Beye at centre-back in that case, but what if it didn't work? So we've signed one stroppy player and thus mistreated our best current one. If Keegan puts Beye back in at full-back consequently, Chimbonda kicks up a fuss, yada yada yada. We don't want them players imo.

I wish we'd just leave our defense alone tbh. Aye, bring in a left-back for cover, but the defensive personnel is good. The only 'proper' signing i'd like us to make (if we were to make one), would be a quality centre-back to partner Faye. We've got a history of not leaving well enough alone. Leave it!

Chimbonda's proven to be a good player at centre back too, in fact he's got the pace and the ability on the ball that none of our centre backs seem to possess.

Sounds like a stupid question but would people care if we got a better albeit older LB which forced Enrique out the team?

I simply don't think it's necassary. Enrique could very well be excellent if we just stick with him. The team's hardly going to drastically improve if we sign a better left-back.

I simply don't think it's necassary. Enrique could very well be excellent if we just stick with him. The team's hardly going to drastically improve if we sign a better left-back.

So what is Keegan going to do, is he looking for a player to compete/replace Enrique or is he going to be actively looking to someone with quality but is happy with the bench?

Chimbonda's proven to be a good player at centre back too, in fact he's got the pace and the ability on the ball that none of our centre backs seem to possess.

I just don't like the guy's attitude. I think he's a good player but it seems a bit daft to tamper with the team spirit levels when they've never been higher than this. Also, if he's as versatile as you say he is, it can disrupt continuity in the team. The guy would want to be a first teamer all the time i think.

Do you not agree with me when i say "We've got a history of not leaving well enough alone. Leave it", Baggio? I honestly just don't think signing a better left-back would be hugely beneficial to the team, and could potentially hinder the progress of a player who could turn out to be a very, very good one. I just don't see the need, personally.

Like i say, if we're gonna spend properly on a defender, it should be on a quality centre-back imo. Steven Taylor still makes me nervous.

Ludovic Magnin has always impressed me although did recently sign a new contract with Stuttgart.

So what is Keegan going to do, is he looking for a player to compete/replace Enrique or is he going to be actively looking to someone with quality but is happy with the bench?

Hopefully the former. Competition is what we need across the pitch.

Ludovic Magnin has always impressed me although did recently sign a new contract with Stuttgart.

Everything he needs to improve, he needs to learn in my opinion.

Grosso is someone he could learn from, or otherwise, he should compete with someone like Taiwo, so that when one turns out better than the other, we can have no qualms about letting the other go, by which point Kadar might be ready.