Clear the Air Talks ?

NE5

It's the same in all the broadsheets as well, looking at it.

The only quotes they've got are the brief ones from Mort that were aired on SSN, they've got f*** all else so are having to make it up as they go. Must be a cracking job you know, writing for a paper.

You would have to be a bit thick skinned to do it though because they are seen as being on a level with dog shit.

Actually, we don't know that what the Sun says is crap, anymore than we know the obverse is true.

I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a reckoning of some kind today - Keegan had no right to be running the club down in public after the Chelsea match - all that stuff about never being able to break into the top 4, and I don't even buy the apologists' viewpoint that it's all been some elaborate pre-transfer season ploy to make sure Newcastle aren't ripped off, either.

I think the stuff in the Sun's all quite plausible, even if it is entirely speculative.

I know this is gonna sound like im being a wind up merchant but are people saying that the papers would take the direct quotes of a source knowing it had absolute no basis to it whatsoever  (ie was 100% made up)- all the  papers seem to be taking the same view, surely it actually does have some basis.

We're kidding ourselve if we think this meeting was just about transfer targets.  

Here's how the media work, one mong makes up shite and passes it to his mate who adds his shite and passes it on to the next mong.  Before you know it every mong in Fleet Street has heard the same thing and added some.

I'm just staggered by how gullible people are.

??? Surely you can't be referring to me there?

Anyone who doesn't just laugh at it tbh. It's horseshit. They make it up.

Actually, we don't know that what the Sun says is crap, anymore than we know the obverse is true.

I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a reckoning of some kind today - Keegan had no right to be running the club down in public after the Chelsea match - all that stuff about never being able to break into the top 4, and I don't even buy the apologists' viewpoint that it's all been some elaborate pre-transfer season ploy to make sure Newcastle aren't ripped off, either.

I think the stuff in the Sun's all quite plausible, even if it is entirely speculative.

Precisely- its not being gullible but its taking a realistic view that maybe it may hold water. Its so stupid that people are quick to call people gullible yet believe there own instincts based entirely on supposition. With the exact same amount of evidence as the papers- yet the papers are the ones who are bullshitting.

thats a little naive if you ask me.

Fishing?

I find this incredibly difficult to believe, Wullie.

They "make it up"?

Huh?

You mean that journalists get the wrong end of the stick and actually misreport (whether it be by deliberate malpractice or by unfortunate misunderstanding) the truth of a story?

That's a staggering allegation.

I mean, where's your evidence?

:kasper:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Press releases and/or genuine quotes are the only things that can conclusively confirm something but lacking them does not automatically mean the content of these stories is falsified either.

Naive is believing anything and everything because some knacker on Fleet Street has an NUFC quota to fill and writing "We haven't got a fucking clue what's going on tbh" won't sell their shitty rag.

Are you basing that on supposition and precedent or do you have an insider as well?

Naive is believing anything and everything because some knacker on Fleet Street has an NUFC quota to fill and writing "We haven't got a fucking clue what's going on tbh" won't sell their shitty rag.

Naive is automatically ruling stuff out and calling it made up because you (quite rightly, so do I) feel larges sections of the media have a negative agenda against us.

Precisely- its not being gullible but its taking a realistic view that maybe it may hold water. Its so stupid that people are quick to call people gullible yet believe there own instincts based entirely on supposition. With the exact same amount of evidence as the papers- yet the papers are the ones who are bullshitting.

Of course you assume that nobody knows anything more than the hacks.

Are you basing that on supposition and precedent or do you have an insider as well?

Yes I do. He said the exact opposite to what The Sun said.

Fishing?

Not much. I was merely saying that I do think the scenario painted out by the Sun and other journos about today's meeting is as likely to be truthful as it is fabricated. We have no way of knowing what happened either way - and from a club owner's perspective KK caused some considerable embarrassment for MA with some of his recent comments. Can't take his results away of the feel-good factor he's brought back, granted...but I think it's fair enough that MA would want to make sure KK's mouth and head are both in check as the transfer season approaches.

So, not fishing. Just reflecting my own views, openly, genuinely, without prejudice. :thup:

:laugh:

The irony.

Of course people on here don't know either way and probably never will, but it's just amazing how the Sun has a full article about what the meeting entailed when there were only the six prominent figures present at the meeting. Who else do those people have to answer to? Who else do they have to tell what went on?

I understand bits and pieces will get out to various people, but to know the exact content of the meeting literally hours after it occured seems a bit far-fetched to me. Especially when half of those (perhaps more) present were immediately back up here together for the Bobby Robson thing as well.

I think it's fair to say that usually when a paper uses "an insider" or "a source" they have license to write whatever they like because it can't be proven that it was never said. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. The papers know that it's been left on a knife-edge and the club has given them absolutely fuck all today in terms of telling them what went on, so they have to follow it up with speculation that the regular fan can buy into. The people who write the stories aren't idiots, by and large, these are educated blokes who are good at their jobs and who sell papers with their stories. That's why they write for the nationals.

Obviously not every story they print is false, but I'd wager a lot of money that the vast, vast majority of them are based on no more than hearsay and half-truths. They HAVE to write stories, that's the bottom line, these writers will have been told by their editors that we're once again the hot topic this week, we'll sell the papers, so they HAVE to come up with a whole article to fill the back pages. Alan Oliver has admitted to as much himself on the icnewcastle website, in a video, whether there is news or not, they have to fill the column inches to sell the paper.

What sells papers better than massive shock headlines and drama. They can't just fucking say "well, Mort said it all went well", can they? Who's going to buy that? The broadsheets have used those quotes and then speculated around them, the Sun has claimed to know (as always) that they know exactly what went on in the meeting.

Howay man. It's obviously not all black or white, no pun intended (on two counts), but people should be seeing through this stuff a bit more by now. We love the drama though.

Not much. I was merely saying that I do think the scenario painted out by the Sun and other journos about today's meeting is as likely to be truthful as it is fabricated. We have no way of knowing what happened either way - and from a club owner's perspective KK caused some considerable embarrassment for MA with some of his recent comments. Can't take his results away of the feel-good factor he's brought back, granted...but I think it's fair enough that MA would want to make sure KK's mouth and head are both in check as the transfer season approaches.

So, not fishing. Just reflecting my own views, openly, genuinely, without prejudice. :thup:

I'll stick with my fishing theory, thanks.

Personally, I'll just be waiting for KK or whoever else to divulge the true findings of this meeting, as opposed to relying on what the press believe was discussed. And if he doesn't disclose much, I'll just simply wait to see what happens with regards to Owen and Taylor's new contracts, and the amount we spend in the Summer.

It might be true that we're only going to spend £20m in the Summer but a portion of that might be for a major transfer, only one paid in installments (like I think Modric was meant to be). So £20m might not the be the end of the world as it were either way, and spent well £20m could go a long way. That figure is just speculation as it stands though.

:laugh:

The irony.

Of course people on here don't know either way and probably never will, but it's just amazing how the Sun has a full article about what the meeting entailed when there were only the six prominent figures present at the meeting. Who else do those people have to answer to? Who else do they have to tell what went on?

I understand bits and pieces will get out to various people, but to know the exact content of the meeting literally hours after it occured seems a bit far-fetched to me. Especially when half of those (perhaps more) present were immediately back up here together for the Bobby Robson thing as well.

I think it's fair to say that usually when a paper uses "an insider" or "a source" they have license to write whatever they like because it can't be proven that it was never said. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. The papers know that it's been left on a knife-edge and the club has given them absolutely fuck all today in terms of telling them what went on, so they have to follow it up with speculation that the regular fan can buy into. The people who write the stories aren't idiots, by and large, these are educated blokes who are good at their jobs and who sell papers with their stories. That's why they write for the nationals.

Obviously not every story they print is false, but I'd wager a lot of money that the vast, vast majority of them are based on no more than hearsay and half-truths. They HAVE to write stories, that's the bottom line, these writers will have been told by their editors that we're once again the hot topic this week, we'll sell the papers, so they HAVE to come up with a whole article to fill the back pages. Alan Oliver has admitted to as much himself on the icnewcastle website, in a video, whether there is news or not, they have to fill the column inches to sell the paper.

What sells papers better than massive shock headlines and drama. They can't just fucking say "well, Mort said it all went well", can they? Who's going to buy that? The broadsheets have used those quotes and then speculated around them, the Sun has claimed to know (as always) that they know exactly what went on in the meeting.

Howay man. It's obviously not all black or white, no pun intended (on two counts), but people should be seeing through this stuff a bit more by now. We love the drama though.

Sorry but I'm missing this "irony" thing totally...what irony? ???

I'll stick with my fishing theory, thanks.

It's just not healthy being so cynical about things though, especially not without good cause.

Of course you assume that nobody knows anything more than the hacks.

Nope -  just allying to the fact that maybe just maybe there is some basis to all the stories and the idea that someone is "gullible or stupid" for giving a second thought to a more than feasible newspaper story is a little naive especiually when they have absolutely nothing to back the opinion up either.

Theres irony in there somewhere.....

That's a good point as well, Melanie.

If we only have £20M to spend, as the Daily Mail claims, was that all going on Modric?

The Daily Mail has written some absolute poison about NUFC over the past few months, I'm staggered that some can still take it so seriously when there's nothing to back it up.