Comolli Sucks

KaKa

Take this all with a pinch of salt, think I posted it at the time but is worth regurgitating as it is probably just as likely as anything the press cook up:

I heard that the Mamic brothers made Modric go to Spurs instead of us because we refused to agree to some clauses.

The deal we wanted was the removal of third party control, as the Mamic brothers controlled all of Modric's decisions. We wanted the transfer to involve a buyout that would break Modric's contractual obligations to Mamic, passing on agent responsibilities to Peter Harrison.

Mamics weren't happy with this, they wanted to move Modric onto a bigger club in a couple of years and pocket more money.

The Spurs deal came about with a minimum release clause and a hefty next sale clause.

load of steaming bollocks imho. Berbs wanted to add this clause when he was negiotiating a new contract and Levy straight away rejected it, so i fail to see why we'd agree one for Modric.

because you want to defend Spurs on a Newcastle board? It's hardly like you are an impartial observer here on issues like this one.

Not about defending spurs. It's logic....

Where's the logic? It's a completely unsubtantiated claim. Its clear Modric has been told where to go - I'm basing that on the fact that he wasnt here when we were negotiaing with the Mamic brothers then swiftly signed for Spurs. Add to the fact we offered more money to the Mamic brothers and more money to Modric and you still wouldn't be able to see that there were obviously something in the Spurs deal which made them turn a blind eye to immediate extra cash from us....i see the logic in what James said, seems perfectly viable to me.

How is the fact that Modric has a sale-on and minimum fee clause a substantiated claim? By who? Source.

Mort said we offered more money and more wages, and that was it. Modric himself has come out to say that he picked Spurs because of the manager and because they're in Europe. Why do you believe Mort and not Modric?

You're just cherry-picking which quotes to believe in, but if you believe both Mort and and Modric, it still makes perfect sense that he signed for Spurs. And there doesn't need to be any sale-on or minimum fee clause to make him signing for Spurs any more comprehensible.

Like i say - it's been pretty well known that Modric wasnt there when negotiaions were taking place seems a bit strange to me, im not looking to try and convinve myself that there were other reasons for not him choosing spurs over us, im well aware that they are in a much much better situation than us, but im saying i find it strange that the Mamic brothers would turn down more money from the transfer fee and more money for Modric if there wasnt something else in it for them, surely you arent telling me the agenst and owners were looking for a better deal career wise for modric, are you?

Its all fair and well Modric coming out after the negotioantions had taken place saying he wanted to sign for Spurs becasue blah blah blah but im pretty confident tevez and Mashcereno said simlair things when they signed for West Ham.

Then again i could be talking bollocks.

Take this all with a pinch of salt, think I posted it at the time but is worth regurgitating as it is probably just as likely as anything the press cook up:

I heard that the Mamic brothers made Modric go to Spurs instead of us because we refused to agree to some clauses.

The deal we wanted was the removal of third party control, as the Mamic brothers controlled all of Modric's decisions. We wanted the transfer to involve a buyout that would break Modric's contractual obligations to Mamic, passing on agent responsibilities to Peter Harrison.

Mamics weren't happy with this, they wanted to move Modric onto a bigger club in a couple of years and pocket more money.

The Spurs deal came about with a minimum release clause and a hefty next sale clause.

load of steaming bollocks imho. Berbs wanted to add this clause when he was negiotiating a new contract and Levy straight away rejected it, so i fail to see why we'd agree one for Modric.

because you want to defend Spurs on a Newcastle board? It's hardly like you are an impartial observer here on issues like this one.

Not about defending spurs. It's logic....

Where's the logic? It's a completely unsubtantiated claim. Its clear Modric has been told where to go - I'm basing that on the fact that he wasnt here when we were negotiaing with the Mamic brothers then swiftly signed for Spurs. Add to the fact we offered more money to the Mamic brothers and more money to Modric and you still wouldn't be able to see that there were obviously something in the Spurs deal which made them turn a blind eye to immediate extra cash from us....i see the logic in what James said, seems perfectly viable to me.

Ok here's the logic bit....

two months or so, before the Modric deal, Berbs' piece of turd agent tries to include a minimum release clause in his contract, to which Levy calls of negotiations (this was widely reported in various papers and sites). The club then sing a totally different tune, and Poyet and co seem like they dont give a toss if Berbs leaves in interviews ect, after pleading with him to stay a while back.

So now you're saying, Levy would just totally do a u-turn and give another player a minimum fee release clause, even though he didnt want to give one to our prized asset? rightttttttttttt.

Ramos also tried to sign Modric at Sevilla and Modric has said how much he rates him, plus London, plus Uefa cup....

Do you know how much that minumum fee release clause was for Berbatov? Is it legitimate to compare Berbatovs situation with Modric? ie new unproven player against highly sought after proven player?

Not as logical as you care to think.

It's embarassing that some of our fans have to make up ridiculous claims in their head to justify why Modric chose Spurs over us. It's pretty simple, man. They're just a better prospect than we are at the moment and you're living in the clouds if you think that being in Europe and having a reputable manager like Ramos doesn't make a difference.

And this is not defeatist of me to admit this as well. In fact, the sooner we all realise this, the sooner we can try to fix our problems (instead of ignoring it) and improve the club as a prospect instead of merely saying 'oh yeah, that player signed for them only because of that clause and this clause'.

Spot On.

It's refreshing that a player moves for his career ambition and the chance of European football and a better coach, rather than moving to the club that offered him the better salary. Even if it is annoying that it's Spurs he is moving too.

It's embarassing that some of our fans have to make up ridiculous claims in their head to justify why Modric chose Spurs over us. It's pretty simple, man. They're just a better prospect than we are at the moment and you're living in the clouds if you think that being in Europe and having a reputable manager like Ramos doesn't make a difference.

And this is not defeatist of me to admit this as well. In fact, the sooner we all realise this, the sooner we can try to fix our problems (instead of ignoring it) and improve the club as a prospect instead of merely saying 'oh yeah, that player signed for them only because of that clause and this clause'.

Spot On.

It's refreshing that a player moves for his career ambition and the chance of European football and a better coach, rather than moving to the club that offered him the better salary. Even if it is annoying that it's Spurs he is moving too.

I don't agree.

We have played in europe more than Spurs over the last decade and a half. And I don't accept that Newcastle can't be sold to a player as being bigger and better than Spurs. We ourselves have a bigger fanbase, a better stadium and also a well known high profile manager. The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

I think it is in fact defeatist to accept that we lose out to such clubs like Spurs. This is why Keegan wasn't happy, see the article by bobyule on the main site which I read this morning.

If this attitude is good enough for Keegan, it should be good enough for supporters of the club. They are just making excuses for failure to land a target.

This defeatist mentality is something that is unacceptable, such an attitude smacks of the way we used to be. That won't go down well, but its the truth.

Spot On.

The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

having won silverware this season and being in the uefa cup next season must count for something, surely?

Spot On.

I don't agree.

We have played in europe more than Spurs over the last decade and a half. And I don't accept that Newcastle can't be sold to a player as being bigger and better than Spurs. We ourselves have a bigger fanbase, a better stadium and also a well known high profile manager. The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

I think it is in fact defeatist to accept that we lose out to such clubs like Spurs. This is why Keegan wasn't happy, see the article by bobyule on the main site which I read this morning.

If this attitude is good enough for Keegan, it should be good enough for supporters of the club. They are just making excuses for failure to land a target.

This defeatist mentality is something that is unacceptable, such an attitude smacks of the way we used to be. That won't go down well, but its the truth.

incorrect

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

no, it isn't. Its correct. That is why Keegan was unhappy about it all.

Spot On.

The ONLY area where they score, is that they are in London, and not every player would see this as the be all and end all.

having won silverware this season and being in the uefa cup next season must count for something, surely?

Well, Cardiff have just appeared in the FA Cup Final, and pompey have won the FA Cup. Are you saying both of those clubs, especially the winners, are also bigger and better than us ?

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

Im pretty sure you're incorrect. Your first paragraph is atrocious to be honest.

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

Im pretty sure you're incorrect. Your first paragraph is atrocious to be honest.

but its absolutely correct.

A player doesn't care about the last 15 years, they will look short term and that shows Spurs have finished above us for the last 4 years running.

Ramos is rated far more highly than Keegan (whether that's right or wrong) outside of the north east too.

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

What is it Keegans unhappy about? We bid for Modric, he chose someone else. We bid more but he chose someone else, that's life. I'd be amazed if Keegan's reputation was even known to Modric, i'd also be amazed if Ramos' wasn't. Get over it. Woodgate chose them too. Nothing to do with money, we all know Spurs have a tight wage structure and we all know we can  pay more. But they have been a bit better organised lately and their profile seems quite good.

You're not being objective, i think it's because you love the toon too much tbh. Look at it from an outsiders perspective, it's more than just because they're in london. Manchester and liverpool are shit holes by and large imo but they have no trouble pulling the players they want from nicer enviroments.

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

Ok, ill clarify, your first paragraph is atrocious and incorrect.

Think about it.

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

Ok, ill clarify, your first paragraph is atrocious and incorrect.

Think about it.

"no it isn't"

closet Spurs supporter alert

mackems.gif

If that's the level you're capable of debating at I'll leave it there.

smashing.

Good lad.

Spot On.

Well, Cardiff have just appeared in the FA Cup Final, and pompey have won the FA Cup. Are you saying both of those clubs, especially the winners, are also bigger and better than us ?

no i'm not, you're the one bringing those two clubs into the thread, not me. the thread is about spurs, who have just won silverware and are in the uefa cup next season, and that has to be a draw for a player, sorry like, it seems beyond obvious to me.

Spot On.

I don't agree.

incorrect

It's bollocks. Players won't look at where a club was five or 15 years ago. They look at where it is now.

Football's very short-term and it is all about perceptions. There's no way we're perceived as a 'big' club at the moment. On the other hand, Spurs have finished above us for the last few seasons, been in Europe (and did okay) and have a manager who's highly reputable. Spurs aren't a 'big' club but they sure as hell are perceived as being bigger than we are at this moment of time.

If you can't see that then you're highly ignorant of the way the footballing world works now.

A year ago Arsenal were perceived as being on the way down and no top player would have joined them. The perception didn't match reality (because they weren't on their way down) but to say that it doesn't affect whether they're viewed as a good prospect by the higher-quality players would be burying your head in the sand.

Right now, we're not perceived as being a club on the way up. Or, if we are, there are other clubs around us who are moving faster/closer to where the top players want to be.

i don't think it is as simple as saying Modric chose Spurs cos they are a better prospect, european football, more high profile manager. from everything i've read it seems he had little to no part in where he ended up and the negotiations were done by the Mamic brothers who represent both Dinamo and the player himself.

Modric himself said "On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me. At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England." hardly sounds like he made the decision based on the above criteria, more like he had the decision made for him by other people for other reasons.

i don't think it is as simple as saying Modric chose Spurs cos they are a better prospect, european football, more high profile manager. from everything i've read it seems he had little to no part in where he ended up and the negotiations were done by the Mamic brothers who represent both Dinamo and the player himself.

Modric himself said "On Friday, the president of Dynamo Zagreb called me to tell me he had agreed a deal with Tottenham that was perfect for me. At first, I was very surprised, then a few seconds later, I was proud over the prospect of coming to England." hardly sounds like he made the decision based on the above criteria, more like he had the decision made for him by other people for other reasons.

I wouldnt bother - apparently you'd be kidding yourself into thinking that this transfer was anything else but clear cut....