The "New" Wembley

Tooj

Guest Slippery Sam

Best stadium I've been to in the way you arrive at Wembley Park, walk down Wembley Way, get through the turnstiles really quickly, and walk through the tunnel into the light and the wall of noise.

The best parts crowdwise are in the higher tiers and at the back of the lower tier especially in the corners and behind the goal.

I spent a bit of time prematch towards the front though, and you feel really out in the open and on your own. Its therefore quieter close to the microphones, while the cameras point at the deadest parts of the stand.

Walking up the drab, grey, cheap and shitty concrete staircases to the gods is an absoloute nightmare.  For the money it cost and the more than half a decade we had to wait for it I want the stairs f***ing carpet finished for fucks sake!

I was on the lower tier so didn't have to worry about stairs.

One other thing I did notice though is how dry the place is in terms of licensed premises. Don't think I saw a noticeable drunk when I was there.

Oh, and the white horses intimidated the f*** out of me, I think the riding police thought it was Bolton 1924 or whatever all over again.

First time I was there I was in the upper tier and there aint any stairs to negotiate! The escalators took everyone up.

Best stadium I've been to in the way you arrive at Wembley Park, walk down Wembley Way, get through the turnstiles really quickly, and walk through the tunnel into the light and the wall of noise.

The best parts crowdwise are in the higher tiers and at the back of the lower tier especially in the corners and behind the goal.

I spent a bit of time prematch towards the front though, and you feel really out in the open and on your own. Its therefore quieter close to the microphones, while the cameras point at the deadest parts of the stand.

Walking up the drab, grey, cheap and shitty concrete staircases to the gods is an absoloute nightmare.  For the money it cost and the more than half a decade we had to wait for it I want the stairs f***ing carpet finished for fucks sake!

I was on the lower tier so didn't have to worry about stairs.

One other thing I did notice though is how dry the place is in terms of licensed premises. Don't think I saw a noticeable drunk when I was there.

Oh, and the white horses intimidated the f*** out of me, I think the riding police thought it was Bolton 1924 or whatever all over again.

First time I was there I was in the upper tier and there aint any stairs to negotiate! The escalators took everyone up.

Well, you must have been in some kind of posh bit cause i was in the upper tier, opposite side to the corporate bit and it was flights of stairs after flights of stairs.

Guest Jawesome

Wembley was class for the Muse gig that was there last year.  As for football, it looks pure grade A turd.

While it is one of the best in the world currently, I think it could have been a million times better than it is and in 40-50 years will look well out of date and probably be knocked down again.

It's nothing special, it's just very average, considering the money spent and the hype.

Another failed London architectural project; although not as useless as the Millennium Dome the flatness of it does mirror quite a bit imo.

It's nothing special, it's just very average, considering the money spent and the hype.

Another failed London architectural project; although not as useless as the Millennium Dome the flatness of it does mirror quite a bit imo.

It is pretty usefull now though.

Doing what?

Should have been built in Manchester imho, more central for the whole of England.

How is Manchester central for the whole of England?

Correct, Birmingham would be  the perfect location apart from the fact it is a proper nightmare to get in and out of.

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Aye, £1bn to build it and £600m to renovate it so it can do some music gigs.

Fuking special.

PS: I think someone else owns it now.

Correct, Birmingham would be  the perfect location apart from the fact it is a proper nightmare to get in and out of.

It should have been built in Haltwhistle, the centre of Britain.

Should have been built in Manchester imho, more central for the whole of England.

And its crap (soz brum)

The site they wanted to build it on was at the NEC. Right next to the M42, a few miles from the M6, and about five miles from the M40. Access would have been a piece of piss.

Well, relatively speaking.

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Fuking special.

And some big sporting events too.  Fact is, they have salvaged the project and gave London what it lacked for years..a 20,000+ seater arena which is one of the biggest in the world.

Guest Rey Mysterio

You lot have some serious high standards. I had a great time at City v Bristol match on Saturday. I think it's great how the 2 sets of fans go up their seperate ramps at the end of Wembley Way. Escalators all the way up to the top tier. Loads of room in the concours. When i walked out the entrance into my seat i was blown away, thought it was absoloutly brilliant. The only thing i would have predferred would be the stands closer to the pitch but i guess all new stadiums are that way.

The site they wanted to build it on was at the NEC. Right next to the M42, a few miles from the M6, and about five miles from the M40. Access would have been a piece of piss.

Well, relatively speaking.

Nah mate, as a Geordie who has driven to Brum on numerous occasions following the toon I can say it is an absolute hellish place to get out of.

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Fuking special.

And some big sporting events too.  Fact is, they have salvaged the project and gave London what it lacked for years..a 20,000+ seater arena which is one of the biggest in the world.

A waste of near £2bn. Its not rescued, its a monumental failure, you could have build that for £50m, i mean Cardiff cost what £90m? All you have to do is stick a roof on and make it smaller.

Anyone know how much the Newcastle Arena cost?

Earth won't exist by the time the dome has paid itself off.

It should have been built in Haltwhistle, the centre of Britain.

You are forgetting one small fact..........it is England's national stadium not Britain's.

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Fuking special.

A waste of near £2bn. Its not rescued, its a monumental failure, you could have build that for £50m, i mean Cardiff cost what £90m? All you have to do is stick a roof on and make it smaller.

I agree with what you are saying but with regards to the Newcastle Arena, that is one cheap and nasty hell hole, which is falling apart, seats about 8,000 and is about to be torn down after about what 15 years?? 

I just hope that IF and when we get a replacement it will be of a good design and of high quality.

Doing what?

The 02 Arena isnt it?

Fuking special.

I agree with what you are saying but with regards to the Newcastle Arena, that is one cheap and nasty hell hole, which is falling apart, seats about 8,000 and is about to be torn down after about what 15 years?? 

I just hope that IF and when we get a replacement it will be of a good design and of high quality.

Yet still better build quality than the Stadium of Shite or the Riverside.

Gets higher attendances as well.

O0