Empty seats in Moscow.

Baggio

It has been billed as the English invasion of Moscow. But, to the embarrassment of Uefa and its sponsors, the Champions League final will take place against a backdrop of empty seats. The prohibitive travel costs have meant that Manchester United, the world's best-supported club, have failed to sell their 21,000 ticket allocation.

The Luzhniki Stadium holds almost 85,000 spectators for most events, but even with its capacity reduced to 69,500 for this match, Uefa, European football's governing body, has been unable to sell all the tickets. Telephone calls to the Old Trafford ticket office shortly before closing last night revealed that United had £73 and £120 tickets on general sale and while Chelsea, in their first final, claimed that they had sold their allocation, the London club's official website indicated that there was still “limited availability” for two-night packages through their favoured travel partners.

The clubs and their supporters will point with justification at the enormous costs of travelling to Moscow, with airlines and hotels hiking up prices in an attempt to cash in on European club football's showpiece event.

Once United beat Barcelona in the semi-final, second leg on April 29 to ensure the competition's first all-English final against Chelsea or Liverpool, online ticket agencies were demanding up to £1,500 for £67 tickets in the final, but, with travel costs having soared, many supporters have decided to stay at home and watch on television.

“Last year the Champions League final was played in Athens in a stadium not fit for purpose,” Malcolm Clarke, of the Football Supporters' Federation, said. “Maybe the sight of empty seats at this year's final will make Uefa think afresh about putting the needs of supporters higher up their list of criteria.”

On the Craigslist.org website's Manchester and London sections there were nearly 500 tickets for sale last night, many offered for face value. “Can't afford trip and need to sell,” one seller wrote. Sean Bones, the vice-chairman of the Manchester United Supporters' Trust, said: “The Moscow trip is similar in price to next year's season tickets and people are having to make a choice between shelling out for one game or seeing every match next year.”

Tony Burlton, chairman of the Manchester United supporters' club's London branch, said: “It's unheard of for there to be empty seats in our end for European matches. Moscow is not the right venue and I do not know why it was not reviewed once it became apparent that it was likely to feature two English clubs.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_united/article3965213.ece

Should just give us a bye to the final of this one too tbh. If we played in the Champions League final on the Moon, we'd sell out.

There is a problem though with the selection of stadium. I can understand that preparations need to made in plenty of time but perhaps this could be done before the semi final stage from a shortlist of suitable stadiums depending on who the four are, so no matter who goes through, the travel times/costs aren't ridiculous.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

tickets still are on general sale at old trafford, touts are gutted as they cant shift tickets. My mate is a season ticket holder and wont go because of costs, not missed a game for 2 years either

Well most Man Utd fans live in South East Asia so of course they aren't going to go. 

Jokes aside, Moscow is a stupid location, somewhere like Paris would be far better, even Munich would be alrite, but Moscow is just stupid.

Guest nufc_geordie

I can understand the reasons why UEFA want to circulate the finals around Europe and in the main I don't have a problem with it. This time the selection of the final is strange particularly as it was clear there were entrance restrictions nito Russia etc. but I don't want to go on about that. A simple solution to what has happened this year where two teams have reached the final from the same country would simply be to change the rules slightly.

As it stands the final is allocated one year in advance meaning there is no "waiting list" for seasons in the future. To resolve this years problems why don't they introduce a rule whereas if two eams from the same country reach the final, the final will be relocated to the closest possible alternative, with next years final being held where it should have been this year?

Guest nufc_geordie

Having to pay a round trip cost of £800+ is slightly excessive like, even fo rhte most die hard of fans. In the real world we don't have this sort of spare cash, in corporate circles this is peanuts. Lesson number 1 in how to price out the real fans from the game!

"where two teams have reached the final from the same country would simply be to change the rules slightly."

u mean so all the cockney fans can catch the tube to the final ?  unless spain and italy get their act together we could see the final at wembley for many years to come!!

tickets still are on general sale at old trafford, touts are gutted as they cant shift tickets. My mate is a season ticket holder and wont go because of costs, not missed a game for 2 years either

a whole 2 years??  :rolleyes:

Guest neesy111

do you think, at this time, where this country is heading into a recession, fans are going to pay £3000 each to go to watch a game

Not suprised really. Although they are cunts I feel a bit sorry for the true Manchester United & Chelsea fans who are having to pay through the nose for no real reason but UEFA's ignorance & stupidity really. Having the final in the USA would've been more accessible than having it in Moscow.

Guest alex

While I think it's a disgrace Chelsea haven't always filled Stamford Bridge for their home games (even PL ones) this season I can understand people not going to this game because of the costs and logistics involved. Not everyone has 3 grand kicking around they can splurge on something like this.

God, if that was us in the final me and my mates would probably hire a car between four of us or use one of our own and drive there and back.

3+ grand my arse.

If they wanted to go THAT much, they would do the same.

Not suprised really. Although they are c***s I feel a bit sorry for the true Manchester United & Chelsea fans who are having to pay through the nose for no real reason but UEFA's ignorance & stupidity really. Having the final in the USA would've been more accessible than having it in Moscow.

But it's OK for a Russian team to have to travel to the UK for a final?  Can't have it both ways IMO.

Guest alex

God, if that was us in the final me and my mates would probably hire a car between four of us or use one of our own and drive there and back.

3+ grand my arse.

If they wanted to go THAT much, they would do the same.

I doubt it would be that straightforward tbh. What car hire firm would let you do that? You could do it but you wouldn't be covered by insurance I'd guess and would have to pay a massive amount for all the extra mileage. OK, it might not be 3g each but are four of you all going to sleep in the same car when you're there and for the week or so it would take there and back? Etc. And loads of people have gone to this, it's just inevitable not all can afford it. And for most the packages are the only practical way of getting there. It's all very well people saying "I'd tell my boss to fuck off" or whatever to take the two weeks to drive there but how many people could/would actually do that in practice?

Not suprised really. Although they are c***s I feel a bit sorry for the true Manchester United & Chelsea fans who are having to pay through the nose for no real reason but UEFA's ignorance & stupidity really. Having the final in the USA would've been more accessible than having it in Moscow.

But it's OK for a Russian team to have to travel to the UK for a final?  Can't have it both ways IMO.

It is a hell of a lot easier to get the UK from abroad I think you'll find. No visa costs, reletively good infrastructure once your here. Manchester isn't one of the most expensive places in the world either. Plus all the 'ticket' companies offering packages haven't help keep the prices down.

It is a hell of a lot easier to get the UK from abroad I think you'll find. No visa costs, relatively good infrastructure once your here. Manchester isn't one of the most expensive places in the world either. Plus all the 'ticket' companies offering packages haven't help keep the prices down.

They don't need visas, Moscow isn't expensive and there isn't much wrong with the infrastructure in Moscow.  A few of us went there on business 4 or 5 years ago and the first night we stayed in the hotel bar and it was about £5 a pint.  The following night after taking advice from our colleagues over there we went out and about to a few bars and it was less than a quid a pint.  You get shafted if you stay in the hotel but the same applies here.

And in general Moscow is a much more modern city than you'd think from watching TV where all they ever seem to show is Red Square.  There are some seriously rough areas and I'd think twice about using the underground at night, but I'd say the same about Newcastle too.

Guest alex

I thought you did need a visa but there were dispensations (or visas were rushed through) if you were on officially recognised trips etc. Not sure but it's another reason why it's difficult (of not impossible) to do it independently / forcing you to go on expensive packages if true. It's also reputed to be as expensive as any city in the world, probably much more so than 5 years ago.