6 + 5 = 2012

Crumpy Gunt

The reason why you hear people talking about this a lot, but nothing ever happens is because it would not be possible within Europe, due to it contravening one of the founding principles of the EU. FIFA can talk about it all it wants, it's never going to happen, the EU is bigger and more powerful than FIFA and I really can't see them budging on this one, so FIFA's fucked and this idea is dead in the water. If they did introduce it anyway, it'd only take one player to take FIFA to the European Court of Human Rights and the whole thing would be overturned straight away. If that happened FIFA would be hit with damages claims by any player or club that could prove it had suffered in some way due to the rule and that would undoubtedly leave FIFA bankrupt.

Here's the summary of the appropriate EU Regulation (there's more at the link below if anyone's interested):

The Regulation firstly entitles all nationals of a Member State to take up and engage in gainful employment on the territory of another Member State in conformity with the relevant regulations applicable to national workers.

This entitlement is enjoyed without discrimination by permanent, seasonal and frontier workers or by those who pursue their activities for the purpose of providing services.

A worker on the territory of another Member State is entitled to the same priority as the nationals of that Member State as regards access to available employment and to the same assistance as that afforded by the host Member State's employment offices to their own nationals seeking employment. Recruitment may not be dependent on medical, occupational or other criteria which discriminate on the grounds of nationality.

Source: http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l23013a.htm

Is it possible for football to be granted some kind of EU exemption?

I'm not particularly advocating that. It's just that it would probably be in the interests of every EU country apart from the UK for that exemption to be made, and you can never under-estimate the power of self-interest. There is serious concern in Europe about the dominance of the Premiership.

I seriously doubt it, free movement of people, goods and services is basically the whole point of the EU, they're not going to give that up because Sepp Blatter's got his knickers in a twist.

Even if they did, any footballer would have an excellent case if they took it to the European Court of Human Rights as they'd be the only people in the whole of Europe without the right to live and work freely in other member states, if that's not discrimination, I don't know what is!!

Also, and I'm not sure about this, but I'd have thought that changing something as fundamental as this would require some serious legislation to be passed which would take a long time and would also probably be something that we (the UK), and others, would have power of veto over.

Love to see the PL break away from FIFA and UEFA. They are so corrupt and always seem to have an anti English agenda, bit like the judging at the Eurovision song contest ;P

What do they need FIFA and UEFA for ? They have the best package in football the Premier League, it generates more revenue than any other tournament. The only things those two institutions bring to table are the World Cup and the Champs League.

If the PL clubs pulled out of the CL, the tournament will be severely devalued and sponsors would be put off, so the money generation would diminish. I don't think the PL would have too many problems enticing the top European clubs to join a Euro super league in place of the CL, (or even inviting the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and Milan into the PL itself) promising more money. As ever money talks.

The PL could also make it awkward for the World Cup, if FIFA banned anyone for playing in the World Cup who made their coin playing in the PL, then since the best players in the world play in the PL, that would severely devalue that tournament. If they didn't, the PL could set up a schedule that suits it's own needs (and in particular, revenue generation needs) and have no obligation to release players to play for their national teams, in fact they could possibly actively discourage it for fear of injury.

The PL has a lot of power now, and it's gaining more, year after year, FIFA and UEFA are shitting themselves and mad policies like this (which due to EU laws, have no hope in hell of getting off the ground, the first legal challenge will bring them down) are solely aimed at reducing that level of power. It's a paranoid power struggle they better hope that the PL doesn't bite back because they could come out of it with really nasty scars.

Before anyone starts, I know it's never gonna happen but it sure would be hilarious to see, love to see Blatter and Platini knocked down a peg or two. They really should bring back stocks, wouldn't it be fantastic to stick those two in them at Hexham market and start throwing eggs and rotten tomatoes at them.

:weep:

Are you a football fan or just a premier league fan?? Think long term. The game is on its arse. Keegan said it himself. I'm not saying FIFA & UEFA get everthing right but I am with them on this...along with agreeing with their stance to never introduce technology/TV replays during play.

TBH I don't give a flying fuck about the Lativan Premiership or the Egytian first division. I care about Newcastle United and the English game. And this rule is naive, ill thought out, does nothing to aid NUFC and is purely motivated by the self protectionists in power at FIFA and UEFA.

Guest LFEE

They will be granted an exemption for the good of the sport.

Looks like they're beginning to panic at the sight of rich English clubs winning the CL every year.

I doubt it very much and if they are then that exemption will be challenged and will be overturned, you can't have it co-existing alongside the free  movement of people in other industries. the PFAs and footballers themselves and even the PL clubs are not short of a penny to  challenge it thorugh the courts.

I just feel the game is going to the dogs...why stop hear..next it will be against EU laws for Celtic & Rangers and Milan etc to be restriceted to trade only in their own countires. Let them join the PL. That is were the money is at. Why bother with Hull Stoke WBA..in fact lets just scrap relegation...

When you look at the stats what is the point in the EPL.. or some of the other top leagues?

Surely the idea was we have some sort of affinity with our clubs and the countries they are based in?

Maybe I'm a dreamer but a 3 way split of a team to HAVE to include local/same nationality/foreign would be the soultion. Touches all bases. Makes it more interesting. Bigger connection. And more importantly takes money slightly more out of the equation...which long term is what football needs to be doing.

1st thing I would change/trial for a ten year spell. Reverse prize money. EPL winners get nothing...zilch...just the trophy and the trappings that come with it. 2nd get the next least amount of money and so on. Leaves the relagated teams with less chance of finacial ruin/freefall which is happening more and more to the the last few EPL clubs.

Looks like they're beginning to panic at the sight of rich English clubs winning the CL every year.

I doubt it very much and if they are then that exemption will be challenged and will be overturned, you can't have it co-existing alongside the free  movement of people in other industries. the PFAs and footballers themselves and even the PL clubs are not short of a penny to  challenge it thorugh the courts.

I just feel the game is going to the dogs...why stop hear..next it will be against EU laws for Celtic & Rangers and Milan etc to be restriceted to trade only in their own countires. Let them join the PL. That is were the money is at. Why bother with Hull Stoke WBA..in fact lets just scrap relegation...

When you look at the stats what is the point in the EPL.. or some of the other top leagues?

Surely the idea was we have some sort of affinity with our clubs and the countries they are based in?

Maybe I'm a dreamer but a 3 way split of a team to HAVE to include local/same nationality/foreign would be the soultion. Touches all bases. Makes it more interesting. Bigger connection. And more importantly takes money slightly more out of the equation...which long term is what football needs to be doing.

1st thing I would change/trial for a ten year spell. Reverse prize money. EPL winners get nothing...zilch...just the trophy and the trappings that come with it. 2nd get the next least amount of money and so on. Leaves the relagated teams with less chance of finacial ruin/freefall which is happening more and more to the the last few EPL clubs.

There seems to be a rather fundamental flaw in that plan.

Lol yes, could you imagine, the number of own goals scored on the last day of the season. Why finish 12th when we could finish 13th if we lost today :)

We do that in The States with draft picks. What you get are teams that shut down halfway through the season and tank their way to a brighter future. Your relegation system is perfect because it forces pretty much everyone to stay competitive for the duration of the season.

Even how much I love PL and English football I can´t understand some people her. Like it is now your are hurting both PL and football in general and I rather see Brambles and Ramages in my English team than 11 Oba Martins (non english player). and I can say I am not a racist.

Really don´t understand what EU has to do with football. For me it is a sport, even if you earn a hell lot of money. I am sure you can get some kind of exception for sport or something.

Sure English player would be more expensive but isn´t they it now? have anyone heard of youth development?

I hate all the oligarchs in the football and I would rather see some kind of limitation of foreign than the direction we are going against now. I love sport for it basics, to compete.

Lol yes, could you imagine, the number of own goals scored on the last day of the season. Why finish 12th when we could finish 13th if we lost today :)

I was thinking more about the fact that prize money takes up a miniscule proportion of the money available to the Big 4 each season.

Love to see the PL break away from FIFA and UEFA. They are so corrupt and always seem to have an anti English agenda, bit like the judging at the Eurovision song contest ;P

What do they need FIFA and UEFA for ? They have the best package in football the Premier League, it generates more revenue than any other tournament. The only things those two institutions bring to table are the World Cup and the Champs League.

If the PL clubs pulled out of the CL, the tournament will be severely devalued and sponsors would be put off, so the money generation would diminish. I don't think the PL would have too many problems enticing the top European clubs to join a Euro super league in place of the CL, (or even inviting the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and Milan into the PL itself) promising more money. As ever money talks.

The PL could also make it awkward for the World Cup, if FIFA banned anyone for playing in the World Cup who made their coin playing in the PL, then since the best players in the world play in the PL, that would severely devalue that tournament. If they didn't, the PL could set up a schedule that suits it's own needs (and in particular, revenue generation needs) and have no obligation to release players to play for their national teams, in fact they could possibly actively discourage it for fear of injury.

The PL has a lot of power now, and it's gaining more, year after year, FIFA and UEFA are shitting themselves and mad policies like this (which due to EU laws, have no hope in hell of getting off the ground, the first legal challenge will bring them down) are solely aimed at reducing that level of power. It's a paranoid power struggle they better hope that the PL doesn't bite back because they could come out of it with really nasty scars.

Before anyone starts, I know it's never gonna happen but it sure would be hilarious to see, love to see Blatter and Platini knocked down a peg or two. They really should bring back stocks, wouldn't it be fantastic to stick those two in them at Hexham market and start throwing eggs and rotten tomatoes at them.

Are you a football fan or just a premier league fan?? Think long term. The game is on its arse. Keegan said it himself. I'm not saying FIFA & UEFA get everthing right but I am with them on this...along with agreeing with their stance to never introduce technology/TV replays during play.

TBH I don't give a flying f*** about the Lativan Premiership or the Egytian first division. I care about Newcastle United and the English game. And this rule is naive, ill thought out, does nothing to aid NUFC and is purely motivated by the self protectionists in power at FIFA and UEFA.

That is the worst idea/wishes I have ever read.

FIFA and UEFA don´t hate England. They love football.

Why not make another 19 trophies and give everyone one!?!

It's a competition!!

Even how much I love PL and English football I can´t understand some people her. Like it is now your are hurting both PL and football in general and I rather see Brambles and Ramages in my English team than 11 Oba Martins (non english player). and I can say I am not a racist.

Really don´t understand what EU has to do with football. For me it is a sport, even if you earn a hell lot of money. I am sure you can get some kind of exception for sport or something.

Sure English player would be more expensive but isn´t they it now? have anyone heard of youth development?

I hate all the oligarchs in the football and I would rather see some kind of limitation of foreign than the direction we are going against now. I love sport for it basics, to compete.

If you love the competition, wouldn't you prefer the English player to work harder and compete for a spot on the top teams, rather than having it guaranteed to him?

TBH I don't give a flying f*** about the Lativan Premiership or the Egytian first division. I care about Newcastle United and the English game. And this rule is naive, ill thought out, does nothing to aid NUFC and is purely motivated by the self protectionists in power at FIFA and UEFA.

That is the worst idea/wishes I have ever read.

FIFA and UEFA don´t hate England. They love football.

The most naive comment I have ever ead, TBH.

Guest LFEE

Nothing is perfect..but lets face it...in over 25yrs of follwing NUFC I can count on 1 hand the importance of last games of the season...and that is when money is up for grabs for improved postion..so it works both way....

What I am trying to get at is that money should be the last factor when competing in sport...not the biggest...and the only way I can see that happening is to balance out finances as evenly as possibly and help teams at the lower end catch up.

The EPL is a stome throwaway from the SPL I'm affraid.

How about no pize money...? I don't know.....I'm just fed up of all the repetiton of it all...and I have a feeling KK is not the only thinking this.

I hope this never happens, it would be a sad day for football.

Only the rich would prosper from this, as it's not only the English players prices that would rocket, every home-grown talent in any other country would also rocket in price. Wages would also be ridiculous for domestic-players, considering they're bargaining-power, "give me what I want, or I'll leave, leaving you with too few domestic players".

It would also harm the game, as not the best players available would be on the pitch and it would also make it less competitive, as you would be almost guaranteed a starting place as long as you're half-decent and from the country where you're playing.

Thank fuck for the E.U that will no doubt make sure this stupid idea never happens.

Nothing is perfect..but lets face it...in over 25yrs of follwing NUFC I can count on 1 hand the importance of last games of the season...and that is when money is up for grabs for improved postion..so it works both way....

What I am trying to get at is that money should be the last factor when competing in sport...not the biggest...and the only way I can see that happening is to balance out finances as evenly as possibly and help teams at the lower end catch up.

How about no pize money...? I don't know.....I'm just fed up of all the repetiton of it all...and I have a feeling KK is not the only thinking this.

The only way to remove money from the equation is to make it an amateur sport, do you really want that?

Guest LFEE

If you love the competition, wouldn't you prefer the English player to work harder and compete for a spot on the top teams, rather than having it guaranteed to him?

Because its the ENGLISH premier league..and we are in England ...and our league is meant to reflect the qualities and defficiencies of England. They would still have to work hard for it.

Man Utd almost meet the quota... we are not talking about a major swing here...just a re-addressing of the balance which I think would benefit football and football fans in general.

no

but as it is now every team are so rich that you almost can by who ever you want and why play youngsters when you can buy a swede, dutch, Nigerian etc. youngsters will never get the chance and young people will my lose idols or don´t even start to play because they want have a chance. Not saying that it is going to happened but I hate the idea.

I forgot to mention one thing in my post. and that is that I rather, exactly, would have some kind of salary budget or something like NHL. both to make the leagues more competitive and to stop the silly money. it is insane that Owen earns over 1 million in the week to kick on a ball. We normal guys that work for the society?

my conclusion is that something has to be done. what and how I don´t really matter but I hope something. I just hate the ideas of some kind of super league there the top league in the country don´t think it is funny any more or that they don´t get what they want. I want to be competitive.

and the idea of have a 39th league game and sell the games over the world. in what fucking direction are we heading?!

Probably didn´t answer your question so well. but this is just what I think.

Guest LFEE

Agree

Because its the ENGLISH premier league..and we are in England ...and our league is meant to reflect the qualities and defficiencies of England. They would still have to work hard for it.

Man Utd almost meet the quota... we are not talking about a major swing here...just a re-addressing of the balance which I think would benefit football and football fans in general.

someone that wants to read my post :crazy2:

exactly what I feel and what I have been saying in many situations. I started to follow EPL for what it stood for. now that is completely gone and we are not exactly going in the right direction to bring that back...

Young player rules need changing in my opinion.

Under 18s playing in a FIFA accredited academy cannot be bought, sold, paid more than a certain amount, be forced to stay somewhere against their will. They are only allowed to join an academy from their country, or otherwise somewhere they have lived for two years (exceptions given to players never at an academy).

All clubs qualifying for a continental tournament must have a FIFA accredited academy, and must donate a percentage of their prize money to a FIFA Youth Initiative that sets up and runs independent academies in Africa and other poorer nations.

Furthermore, all players under-25 have their salaries capped, meaning football becomes more important than money as players develop.

Agree

Think we can start some kind of team here :snod:

Guest LFEE

I hope this never happens, it would be a sad day for football.

Only the rich would prosper from this, as it's not only the English players prices that would rocket, every home-grown talent in any other country would also rocket in price. Wages would also be ridiculous for domestic-players, considering they're bargaining-power, "give me what I want, or I'll leave, leaving you with too few domestic players".

It would also harm the game, as not the best players available would be on the pitch and it would also make it less competitive, as you would be almost guaranteed a starting place as long as you're half-decent and from the country where you're playing.

Thank f*** for the E.U that will no doubt make sure this stupid idea never happens.

Where could they leave to exactly?? They could not go dashing off abroad easily as the rule would be the same their... and other teams would not sign so hastlity as they would want to balance their quota correctly and would not pay big money  for someone they could mnaybe not play all the time...and if the rule has the desired effect of making teams more equally competitive...then surely the will stay put more often than not as the top 4 phrase would become redundant.

It's professional sport, money is a huge part of it, like it or not. It's all well and good being idealistic and going back to days when football was just a game and Jackie Milburn worked down the mines to make a living. But those days will never return, this is the reality of the situation at the moment and money talks.

Sure there are ways that things can improve and we see a more competitive PL and hopefully those in power are putting plans in place to help achieve that.  But this particular idea will not help at all.

Young player rules need changing in my opinion.

Under 18s playing in a FIFA accredited academy cannot be bought, sold, paid more than a certain amount, be forced to stay somewhere against their will. They are only allowed to join an academy from their country, or otherwise somewhere they have lived for two years (exceptions given to players never at an academy).

All clubs qualifying for a continental tournament must have a FIFA accredited academy, and must donate a percentage of their prize money to a FIFA Youth Initiative that sets up and runs independent academies in Africa and other poorer nations.

Furthermore, all players under-25 have their salaries capped, meaning football becomes more important than money as players develop.

sounds like a interesting idea. though again. why is going to make it happened? and how are we going to get an agreement? but hey we can do like the environment. fuck with that. lets see how long we can go :frantic:

Guest LFEE

The only way to remove money from the equation is to make it an amateur sport, do you really want that?

Mmm.. interesting...Quick question....what would be the downside?

I'm just thinking of a few plus point alound while you do...

Less cheating

Less corruption

Cheaper ST's

Less Hype

Less overpayed diss-loyal s**ts who want to walk out on 4yr contracts within 6month etc

Almost no need for agents

Greed

Money for failure

Southern/North West media spin (debatable)

Mmm.. you could be on to something here.

But to answer your question... I'm not sure.. would it be such a bad thing..?  I suppose all the shite I've mentioned above makes it what it is... I just feel when your team is a million miles from the peak of it or live in the North East of England... all that shite can leave a very bitter taste.