This is why the team that develops and invests in a young player...

Parky

...should be allowed to keep him till he's 18. It might even be considered that in the case of players like John Bostock (16) who Palace have invested in since he was 7 shouldn't be allowed to be hoovered up by the highest bidder till he's 21.

Teams need to be protected when they invest in young English players and get something back from all that time and energy whether it be the services of the player for a few years or the more realistic transfer fee which comes from a 20/21 year old rather than a 16 yr old.

Spurs the culprits.  :razz:

...should be allowed to keep him till he's 18. It might even be considered that in the case of players like John Bostock (16) who Palace have invested in since he was 7 shouldn't be allowed to be hoovered up by the highest bidder till he's 21.

Teams need to be protected when they invest in young English players and get something back from all that time and energy whether it be the services of the player for a few years or the more realistic transfer fee which comes from a 20/21 year old rather than a 16 yr old.

shouldn't that read "be made to keep them"??  don't think anyone's forcing palace to sell are they?

agree with the sentiment though, if a kid signs pro terms with a club they should be locked in for a certain period even if the club WANT to sell...though it'd have to be a football wide agreement rather than a law as it'd be totally illegal

and considering it wouldn't benefit man u etc.... then forget it eh?

Ahem, I'd also like to point you to one Harry Forrester, stolen by Villa for a menial fee when he'll be worth much more in the future - nothing we could do about it.  :angry:

Ahem, I'd also like to point you to one Harry Forrester, stolen by Villa for a menial fee when he'll be worth much more in the future - nothing we could do about it.  :angry:

I think it needs to stop. Players fathers/agents/bloke in pub quickly turn a players head and then he/they starts saying he's unhappy etc

What are Palace going to get for nearly 10 years of sticking by a young English player?

I would like to see something in place that protects clubs who develop players.

shouldn't that read "be made to keep them"??  don't think anyone's forcing palace to sell are they?

agree with the sentiment though, if a kid signs pro terms with a club they should be locked in for a certain period even if the club WANT to sell...though it'd have to be a football wide agreement rather than a law as it'd be totally illegal

Simon Jordan and Warnock have offered Bostock a deal that breaks their wage structure to try and keep him.

Simon Jordan and Warnock have offered Bostock a deal that breaks their wage structure to try and keep him.

so he's presumably not signed terms beyond his current contract in that case?  spurs can't buy him if he's under contract and CP don't want to sell so he must be out of contract or whatever...

so he's presumably not signed terms beyond his current contract in that case?  spurs can't buy him if he's under contract and CP don't want to sell so he must be out of contract or whatever...

iirc they aren't allowed to sign proper contracts till they are 16. Of course this is when bigger clubs nip in.

Background:

"Simon Jordan, Crystal Palace's chairman, has expressed dismay at the manner of John Bostock's transfer to Tottenham Hotspur, calling the midfielder's stepfather a "liar" who is only motivated by money.

There was confusion yesterday when Tottenham announced that the 16-year-old prodigy, rated as one of the hottest young talents in the country, had "reached agreement" to join them, only for Palace, the club at which Bostock has been schooled since the age of seven, to deny the claim and insist that they still held his registration. The Championship club will not relinquish that registration until they have been adequately compensated and, although they would prefer to reach a settlement with Tottenham, they are prepared to take the case to tribunal.

"I don't know why Tottenham want to play silly buggers and put out such an antagonistic statement but that's why we responded," said Jordan. His gripe, however, is not with Spurs, it is with Mick Brown, Bostock's stepfather.

Palace had offered Bostock a professional contract which would have shattered their pay structure for young players and the manager, Neil Warnock, who is known not to favour inexperienced players, was preparing to build a team around him. Warnock even held off signing a new midfielder, believed to be from Australia, because he did not want to put obstacles between Bostock and the first team.

Jordan said he had been given assurances that the player, who became the youngest to represent Palace when he came on as a second-half substitute against Watford last October, would sign the contract. Yet Brown decided to part company with the agent Colin Gordon, who had negotiated the deal with Palace, and began to tout Bostock about other clubs. Chelsea and Arsenal believed that they had a deal for him but it was Tottenham who trumped them."

A rather similar situation here: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1432007.mostviewed.rising_star_may_spurn_hornets.php

However, do take into account that the Chris Cummings stuff is probably not true, the Wobby isn't fit to wipe my arse with, with it's constant vitriol aimed at the club

I think correct incentives/protection needs to be put in place to support clubs developing young English talent. Your player should have to give something back to Watford and not just a mini-transfer fee or whatever these young players attract. The developing club should have the legal framework to be able to keep the player till they are 19/20, in this way they get some service back and a more realistic fee at that age.

A rather similar situation here: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1432007.mostviewed.rising_star_may_spurn_hornets.php

However, do take into account that the Chris Cummings stuff is probably not true, the Wobby isn't fit to wipe my arse with, with it's constant vitriol aimed at the club

I think correct incentives/protection needs to be put in place to support clubs developing young English talent. Your player should have to give something back to Watford and not just a mini-transfer fee or whatever these young players attract. The developing club should have the legal framework to be able to keep the player till they are 19/20, in this way they get some service back and a more realistic fee at that age.

Same happens with apprenticeships in all other lines of work an' all, doesn't it?

Nature of the beast and all that, I'm afraid.

Same happens with apprenticeships in all other lines of work an' all, doesn't it?

I'm sorry that isn't good enough.  :dave:

Clubs that develop young English talent need to be incentivised and we need to find ways to do this. The way big clubs hoover up young talent from around Europe isn't helping the English game either. Watford and Palace are a case in point where they both have good histories of bringing through English players.

I'm sorry that isn't good enough.  :dave:

Clubs that develop young English talent need to be incentivised and we need to find ways to do this. The way big clubs hoover up young talent from around Europe isn't helping the English game either. Watford and Palace are a case in point where they both have good histories of bringing through English players.

Don't see what will be done to stop it, personally. The rich get richer and all that.

Do you really think the PL clubs give a toss about their lower league counterparts?

Contrary to all, I will attempt to look at things from another perspective.

What the above comments are stating are obviously looking from the employers' point of view, however, try looking at it from the employees' point of view.

Living in UK these days is not an easy thing... the annual inflation rate and living costs in UK is so high. The employee has got to take care of himself too. Think about his future, about his career etc... I don't think anybody should deny him a good chance. His employer will not guarantee him a future, his employer does not guarantee him a high enough salary as compared to his peers. Ultimately, the employee is still responsible for himself.

While we need to bear in mind gratefulness to his employer for glooming him to what he is today (honestly, gratefulness rarely exists in society nowadays), if the employee is not paid adequate salary, he has a right to move on for the sake of his career/future. The only thing the employer can hope for is, is an adequate compensation/transfer fee.

Such is the reality of the world that everything is merely a transaction or perhaps an investment with risk. The employers must have a motive for investing in him at a young age and him joining them must have his own motive too.

Guest Sniffer

Put in some compensation rules that reflect the potential of the kid down the line based on appearances, caps, future transfer fees etc. Appearnces are important as a player may stay at the poaching club all his career. Milestone payments like in other industries but they have to be significant amounts of money to discourage poaching.

It's certainly a double-sided coin, you can argue that these players move onto clubs with much better structures, coaches and facilities - however more often than not they'll be starved of first team football for a couple of years longer than they would have been.

I mean would N'Zogbia have become the same player at Le Harve?

But saying that I do agree that smaller clubs are the lifeblood of English football, and for them to invest all this time and effort, more often than not for insulting tribunal fees isn't really on. In the recent past Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham have done this far too many times and there is no way all these players they've signed are going to make it - by taking this chance they increase the competition for themselves.

However I had a friend in school years back who was at a lower league club, at a similar sort of age he had offers from teams like Chelsea and Aston Villa to move on. He didn't, his team was relegated and eventually he was released. Who's to say if he'd made the step up he'd still be a professional footballer? 

It's certainly a double-sided coin, you can argue that these players move onto clubs with much better structures, coaches and facilities - however more often than not they'll be starved of first team football for a couple of years longer than they would have been.

But saying that I do agree that smaller clubs are the lifeblood of English football, and for them to invest all this time and effort, more often than not for insulting tribunal fees isn't really on. In the recent past Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham have done this far too many times and there is no way all these players they've signed are going to make it - by taking this chance they increase the competition for themselves.

However I had a friend in school years back who was at a lower league club, at a similar sort of age he had offers from teams like Chelsea and Aston Villa to move on. He didn't, his team was relegated and eventually he was released. Who's to say if he'd made the step up he'd still be a professional footballer? 

Agreed but in this case its quite funny since its Simon Jordan getting ripped off.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

the views that this is out of order are absolute bollocks to be honest. Its like saying because a school equips a student with skills he needs to study and progress until hes 16, should be entitled to keep them in their 6th form. This is in no way different

Put in some compensation rules that reflect the potential of the kid down the line based on appearances, caps, future transfer fees etc. Appearnces are important as a player may stay at the poaching club all his career. Milestone payments like in other industries but they have to be significant amounts of money to discourage poaching.

Agree with all of that and specifically the last bit.

Clubs having a strong English youth policy from which they can benefit in real terms ie cash later or performances is one way of trying to even out the ridiculous short sighted nature of the game we currently witness. It's also about protecting the integrity of the beautiful game....So there!!

NUFC in the last 12 months are as guilty as anyone for plundering the best of other teams youth policy.

Good post.

Sometimes a strong youth policy is the only way many clubs can compete.