Setanta price increase

Dave

I've just rang the 0191 5013601 number to cancel mine and like Dave said they answered in seconds.

The lass asked why i was wanting to leave and i told her it was because of the price increase.  She then asked if i'd stay if she did me a deal.  She offered me a reduced rate of £7.50 per month so i said i'd stay.

I've just rang the 0191 5013601 number to cancel mine and like Dave said they answered in seconds.

The lass asked why i was wanting to leave and i told her it was because of the price increase.  She then asked if i'd stay if she did me a deal.  She offered me a reduced rate of £7.50 per month so i said i'd stay.

Class. :lol:

Their CS is a bag of shite, tried getting though to them a month or two ago about technical problems and when I eventually got through the menus and recorded shite, it just said 'we're very busy now, try ringing back on Monday' and it hung up. :lol:

Wankers man.

My conversation was actually a bit of a giggle during the negotiations:

Setanta: 'if we offer you a deal would you keep your subscription?'

me: 'possibly'

Setanta: 'As you are wanting to leave due to the price increase would a deal on the rate be suitable?'

me: 'keep it at a tenner and i'll be happy'

Setanta: 'Ok, so what about £7.50?'

me: 'Done'

The terms and conditions state you must cancel in writing.

I had a big argument with them after being put through to 4 different people, explaining each time exactly the reason I wanted to subscribe, each of them saying the account would be cancelled by the next person, before being told I had to write.

I asked him if other people complained about having to spend 45 minutes on the phone just to be told to write to them only to be told "other people don't seem to mind, maybe it's just you".

Great company.

Basically, their cancellations team aren't there to handle cancellations, they're there to get you to stay.

They don't have a cancellations department.  Much like most other companies these days they are called "Retentions".  :knuppel2:

phone the bank, cut them off. telll them over the phone, your not writing a letter.

That's really not a good idea.

However much you disagree with the priciple, the terms and conditions of the contract (You know, the ones that you agreed to when you signed up? Remember them? You read them, of course?) state you must cancel in writing.

Cancelling your DD will not cancel the contract, the contract will still run you'll just end up owing them money, which they're fully entitled to persue you for and your credit rating will be screwed because you couldn't be arsed to find a stamp.

Guest shearer_206

phone the bank, cut them off. telll them over the phone, your not writing a letter.

Spot on, that's what I usually do. Cancel my DD on my online banking account, call them and tell them, they ask for a letter, I say no! JD  O0

Spot on, that's what I usually do. Cancel my DD on my online banking account, call them and tell them, they ask for a letter, I say no! JD  O0

Your credit rating must be wonderful. :idiot2:

It's up to you if you want to do this, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. I can't stress enough to people - Cancelling the DD does NOT cancel the contract. If they need you to write in, then write in. If you don't like writing in, then I'd suggest you actually bother to read the T&Cs next time to see if you need to write in to cancel before you sign up in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm cancelling my Setanta too (See page 1), but I've got no right to complain about how I have to cancel it when I've agreed to the terms and conditions when I joined.

Absolutely hopeless company.  Rung up on the 24th march to cancel,  due to moving house and losing that Sky account.  Was told it would be done after 30 days (after trying to get me to stay on a deal).

Checked my bank account a couple of weeks back,  and was still being charged for it.  Made another phonecall to cancellations (But got throught to the sales dept. as the cancellations department was too busy:D) ...  Girl on the phone confirmed that I did cancel on the 24th of march according to their system,  but couldnt explain to me why it wasnt cancelled,  and i was still being charged.  Asked her to then cancel it for me,  and surprise surprise she couldnt,  but gave me an email address to email to make sure they do it.  Also gave me an address to send off for a refund (Obviously they cant do that over the phone either!)

Emailed,  never got a confirmation,  and a few days ago I got a letter stating that my DD had not gone through (I cancelled it after the 2nd phonecall),  and to send them my direct debit details in the post so they could recover the missed payment.  Cheeky fucking bastards.  It was only going to be a temporary stop for the summer,  but after this,  theres no chance in hell i'm giving them back my bank details.

They can send me as many letters and reminders as they like too - they're in the wrong,  which their own CS person confirmed,  and anyway,  i've moved address now :D

Cant find a phone number on their website. Is there even any information given about how to cancel the contract?

Found a phone number on a forum, rang it, its for subscriptions only. No options to cancel.

Fucking ridiculous company they are.

Sky did the same for me a few years ago for me when I called to cancel. Got 25% off for a year.

Sky did the same for me a few years ago for me when I called to cancel. Got 25% off for a year.

...and couldn't give a flying fuck when I called them to cancel. Luck of the draw.

...and couldn't give a flying fuck when I called them to cancel. Luck of the draw.

It is like, they knocked a tenner a month off for me.

...and couldn't give a flying f*** when I called them to cancel. Luck of the draw.

It is like, they knocked a tenner a month off for me.

They probably use a quota system, you probably caught them at the wrong time Dave