James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The majority of the time he was shit for us, inexcusable stuff like not getting the ball past the man countless times which has nothing to do with team mates. Fair play to him he's had a good season with Villa, but didn't suit our team or style of play and we did well to get rid of him for 12m imo. Villa get a player who slots in to their side and flourishes and we get a nice wedge of cash, win win. It's just not investing the money which is where the sticking point is in this tale.

Agreed. He was tidy but did a lot of basic stuff pretty shite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8419826.stm

Chelsea have given up on signing Franck Ribery and will concentrate on signing his £25m-rated Bayern Munich team-mate Bastian Schweinsteiger in January instead.

No wonder Newcastle didn't manage to buy Schweinsteiger after selling Milner.

He must have signed a new contract then, he was in his final year at BM when we sold Milner iirc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/8419826.stm

Chelsea have given up on signing Franck Ribery and will concentrate on signing his £25m-rated Bayern Munich team-mate Bastian Schweinsteiger in January instead.

No wonder Newcastle didn't manage to buy Schweinsteiger after selling Milner.

He must have signed a new contract then, he was in his final year at BM when we sold Milner iirc

Yes, thats right. Signed a new contract and he's also always improving and so increases his price tag.

Don't want to say I told you so bu.........

:razz:

Well most of us did say that his future was in the middle of the park. Yet we all criticised his wing-play, of which you couldn't really argue with as most of the opinions on that were correct.

Bollocks.

At the time most people did say if he had a future with us it was in the middle of the park.

Well most of us did say that his future was in the middle of the park. Yet we all criticised his wing-play, of which you couldn't really argue with as most of the opinions on that were correct.

Bollocks.

At the time most people did say if he had a future with us it was in the middle of the park.

Maybe about 4 people, me and Jon were two of them.

The rest wanted him shot, same with Taylor.

Always thought the lad could have been a class act for us.

I remember he used to get berated on here! Those making the shouts for centre mid were 100% right. He was stunted at this club unfortunately, by the manager and a lot of the fans. Looks like he's enjoying football now, never really did here after his first year. Shame.

Bollocks.

Maybe about 4 people, me and Jon were two of them.

The rest wanted him shot, same with Taylor.

Nar. I was one of his biggest critics out wide but always said that he he definitely had the potential of playing in the middle of the park. And tbf Taylor as a centre half hasn't proven that he's consistently good enough in the Premier League.

As much as playing in the middle has helped him, some of his assists this season have come via quality delivery from out wide. This is what happens when you have something to aim for, he did put in some quality crosses but was often berated because he didn't get it on the head of our 5ft 4 player (the only one who made it into the box after Milners "blistering" run down the wing) who was surrounded by 4/5 6ft+ defenders.

He did fanny about too much on the wing but at times (quite a lot) my nan would have made it into the opposition box quicker than any of our "attacking" players.

As much as playing in the middle has helped him, some of his assists this season have come via quality delivery from out wide. This is what happens when you have something to aim for, he did put in some quality crosses but was often berated because he didn't get it on the head of our 5ft 4 player (the only one who made it into the box after Milners "blistering" run down the wing) who was surrounded by 4/5 6ft+ defenders.

He did fanny about too much on the wing but at times (quite a lot) my nan would have made it into the opposition box quicker than any of our "attacking" players.

Ah so it was our teams fault that Milner couldn't beat the first man consistently. Makes sense.

Ah so it was our teams fault that Milner couldn't beat the first man consistently. Makes sense.

Seems to be doing it ok now at Villa when he drifts into wide positions.

Seems to be doing it ok now at Villa when he drifts into wide positions.

Something to do with the coaches perhaps? Either way you can't blame our team for his inability to beat the first man from his crossing while playing for us.

He could beat man he just did not have that rip roaring pace to take advantage, the fullback once beaten often had the pace to get back at him.

and more often than not he didn't have the option to cross a ball in the first time because no-one else had made the ground up despite Milner being not the quickest about.

He could beat man he just did not have that rip roaring pace to take advantage, the fullback once beaten often had the pace to get back at him.

and more often than not he didn't have the option to cross a ball in the first time because no-one else had made the ground up despite Milner being not the quickest about.

My memory has failed me but did Oba not keep up with play?

My memory has failed me but did Oba not keep up with play?

Bit in bold :)

I'm still not convinced about Milner wide right although I think we made all our wingers look a lot worse due to having no driving midfielder or a forward with good aerial threat. But considering our problems in midfield I'm surprised none of the managers thought to give him a match or two through the middle, he's definitely got the tools for the job. You have to give MON credit for actually earning his money and doing his job.