Read these quotes, doomongers

Guest sicko2ndbest

Exactly and why did it ? What was the delay, we never found out in the end. Mick, it's not rocket science, it's not multi-national takeovers, it's purchasing assests from other players in the market. I can't believe you keep spouting the same crap about these deals being so complicated, they are not if you approach them in the right manner and negoiate in the correct way.

The club moved too slowly this summer and are doing an almighty job at playing catch up right now, I don't know how you can not see that. I dare say under a previous regime you might not be as understanding.

It took so long because the players club didn't want to sell the player and held out as long as they could, they only let Coloccini go after the players agent kicked off and threatened that the player would buy his contract out.  We agreed a fee with the club and then they tried upping the fee after an initial agreement.  All of this was played out in public with the players agent kicking off, I'm surprised that you appear to have missed it although it does make it easier to moan and knock the club if you dont acknowledge what actually happened.

Once we agreed a fee and they agreed to sell him, it took us two - three weeks to get him here, it shouldn't take that long, the player was already, according to his own agent, happy to come.

The only conclusion I can come up with for the delay is that we were trying to eek out the best possible deal with the player and the selling club, every last penny. That's fine if it works, but it's also likely to piss a few clubs and prospective players off to the point that they call the deals off.

Mick, just face facts for once, we started off too late , we failed to build on the impetus of a couple of good signings and now we are in the shit, trying desperately to get out. If the deals come off and we get the players in then it'll all have worked out in the end. But at the moment we are playing russian roulette with our season. Look at the bench we put out at the Arse tomorrow and seriously tell me we are not !

The way some people on here talk about transfer targets seems a little naive. Stuff like 'we enquire with our first choice, then move down a list and it can take months and months'. Surely finding out if a player will come takes 1 phone call to a club? How hard can it be to make 6 phone calls in a day, to your top 6 targets? With a team of 3 men doing transfers i'm sure they could muster 30 phone calls in a week, enough to enquire about 6 targets for 5 positions.

Poor excuse if you ask me

Once we agreed a fee and they agreed to sell him, it took us two - three weeks to get him here, it shouldn't take that long, the player was already, according to his own agent, happy to come.

The only conclusion I can come up with for the delay is that we were trying to eek out the best possible deal with the player and the selling club, every last penny. That's fine if it works, but it's also likely to piss a few clubs and prospective players off to the point that they call the deals off.

Mick, just face facts for once, we started off too late , we failed to build on the impetus of a couple of good signings and now we are in the s***, trying desperately to get out. If the deals come off and we get the players in then it'll all have worked out in the end. But at the moment we are playing russian roulette with our season. Look at the bench we put out at the Arse tomorrow and seriously tell me we are not !

We bid for Modric in late April and we had a bid in for Coloccini in May, both bids were in well before the window had even opened so I don't see how we started too late.  With regards to Coloccini we know a fee was agreed and an offer accepted by the player, what more could we do?  Do you think we should have agreed a fee and contract then just randomly threw more money at both?

I agree that we need more players in and hope for quality but sometimes we have to move at the pace of others and it was the same last year when we brought in Faye and Beye, the first was because his club wanted to keep him, the second because the player didn't want to move at first.

The way some people on here talk about transfer targets seems a little naive. Stuff like 'we enquire with our first choice, then move down a list and it can take months and months'. Surely finding out if a player will come takes 1 phone call to a club? How hard can it be to make 6 phone calls in a day, to your top 6 targets? With a team of 3 men doing transfers i'm sure they could muster 30 phone calls in a week, enough to enquire about 6 targets for 5 positions.

You are right. The two clubs involved, the players and agents should all just agree on everything with a couple of calls. I still think we should have asked for £25m for Milner then phoned Villa to agree on it within 40 mins tops.

You are right. The two clubs involved, the players and agents should all just agree on everything with a couple of calls. I still think we should have asked for £25m for Milner then phoned Villa to agree on it within 40 mins tops.

I said ENQUIRE, yes, ENQUIRE!! Not wrap up the deal!! not agree terms, just ENQUIRE!! F****** read my post properly then respond

I said ENQUIRE, yes, ENQUIRE!! Not wrap up the deal!! not agree terms, just ENQUIRE!! F****** read my post properly then respond

Get you :hom:

Saying they can enquire is a bit irrelevant though isn't it? Would you be coming on here after the end of the transfer window saying "bravo to the recruitment boys, they enquired about some great players"?

I attempted to read your post but I'm still trying to work out what it is you are complaining about.

Player number 6 might say yes while player number 1 says maybe, do we go for player number 6 or wait?  I think I'd wait in the hope that we'd get our first choice.  We're not after players for the first 4 games of the season, we're investing in our future and should do the best we can to ensure we're as strong as possible for the rest of the season.  The only deadline is the end of the transfer window although it would be better if we had everybody in early.

I attempted to read your post but I'm still trying to work out what it is you are complaining about.

I'll try and make it a bit clearer.

Mick says that it takes months to get a deal done. And we're this late in the window without signing so many players because we work down a list. And as we work down the list it takes weeks and weeks until we're on our 6th choice.

All i'm saying is, to avoid this diabolical situation (if true, which it probably isn't), couldn't the club just make a bunch of calls to the various players' clubs and ask "would you be interested in doing a deal on X...oh really? at what price?? Ooh we'll have a think give us two weeks". This way we know at the beginning of the window who we might and might not get.

As opposed to working on target 1 solely for 2 weeks. Then finding that's screwed and moving to target 2 for 3 weeks. Then finding that's screwed and moving to target 3 and so on till you're 3 days from the end of the window with only a couple of players in.

I'm not saying Mick's interpretation of transfers is right (KK in his bbc interview said it's easy to get players in at times). I'm just saying that if Mick was right, that would be a ridiculous situation easily cured by a few phone calls.

Mick says that it takes months to get a deal done. And we're this late in the window without signing so many players because we work down a list. And as we work down the list it takes weeks and weeks until we're on our 6th choice.

All i'm saying is, to avoid this diabolical situation (if true, which it probably isn't), couldn't the club just make a bunch of calls to the various players' clubs and ask "would you be interested in doing a deal on X...oh really? at what price?? Ooh we'll have a think give us two weeks". This way we know at the beginning of the window who we might and might not get.

As opposed to working on target 1 solely for 2 weeks. Then finding that's screwed and moving to target 2 for 3 weeks. Then finding that's screwed and moving to target 3 and so on till you're 3 days from the end of the window with only a couple of players in.

I'm not saying Mick's interpretation of transfers is right (KK in his bbc interview said it's easy to get players in at times). I'm just saying that if Mick was right, that would be a ridiculous situation easily cured by a few phone calls.

I didn't mean that we contact from 1 to 6 so I might have been unclear, we might contact them within a few hours of each other.  Keegan said he handed over a list of names and Wise did the same so I'm making an assumption that these lists were put together to form a shopping list.  Once the list was finalised then we'll have started work on bringing in the players, I doubt we went through the list and waited for a refusal before even starting on the next unless the quality of our targets was massively different.

Mick, just face facts for once, we started off too late , we failed to build on the impetus of a couple of good signings and now we are in the s***, trying desperately to get out. If the deals come off and we get the players in then it'll all have worked out in the end. But at the moment we are playing russian roulette with our season. Look at the bench we put out at the Arse tomorrow and seriously tell me we are not !

We bid for Modric in late April and we had a bid in for Coloccini in May, both bids were in well before the window had even opened so I don't see how we started too late.  With regards to Coloccini we know a fee was agreed and an offer accepted by the player, what more could we do?  Do you think we should have agreed a fee and contract then just randomly threw more money at both?

I agree that we need more players in and hope for quality but sometimes we have to move at the pace of others and it was the same last year when we brought in Faye and Beye, the first was because his club wanted to keep him, the second because the player didn't want to move at first.

Honestly Mick you seem so intent on defending the current regime to validate your old arguments with NE5, that you are unwilling to accept any criticism directed to them.

Making bids in April and May is irrelevant if you don't get the bloody deals done. We moved too late, too slowly and are playing catch up. That's all that needs to be said really and I don't see how you can argue with that.

I didn't mean that we contact from 1 to 6 so I might have been unclear, we might contact them within a few hours of each other.  Keegan said he handed over a list of names and Wise did the same so I'm making an assumption that these lists were put together to form a shopping list.  Once the list was finalised then we'll have started work on bringing in the players, I doubt we went through the list and waited for a refusal before even starting on the next unless the quality of our targets was massively different.

I take your point. I'm just frustrated the signings aren't in. I'd have wanted most of the first team ones in for preseason, with squad fillers to come in whenever. It's not an ideal world though. I've kept my peace all summer, but i've reserved the right to have an eternal b**** come tuesday if things aren't rosy in the garden  ;D

It takes months to do a deal? BOLLOCKS. The buying clubs strech it out, fannying on for 2 to 3 weeks can save the incoming club £150K+ in wages very easily, that is how ridicules football is these days. You cant blame any club waiting late as possible to sign players the numbers you can save is mind boggling.

Honestly Mick you seem so intent on defending the current regime to validate your old arguments with NE5, that you are unwilling to accept any criticism directed to them.

Making bids in April and May is irrelevant if you don't get the bloody deals done. We moved too late, too slowly and are playing catch up. That's all that needs to be said really and I don't see how you can argue with that.

Laughable, you complain that we moved too slow then say the bids in April and May were irrelevant.  :lol:  One of the players we bid for is here the other isn't so at least one early bid was very relevant and the two bids are just two that we know of so how does anybody know we didn't make more bids around that time?  Jesus wept, Milner has just gone to Villa 2 years after they first bid for him, Michael Owen was chased by us for many months, I could go on but you'll not see it anyway so I don't see the point.

It takes months to do a deal? BOLLOCKS. The buying clubs strech it out, fannying on for 2 to 3 weeks can save the incoming club £150K+ in wage very easily, that is how ridicules football is these days. You cant blame any club waiting late as possible to sign players the numbers you can save is mind boggling.

Modric and Coloccini would have been here the day the transfer window opened if things had gone our way, we'll sign players as soon as possible to prevent a deal being hijacked, saving on wages doesn't come in to it.  We could have had 3 games out of players so again, why would we try to save wages?

Laughable, you complain that we moved too slow then say the bids in April and May were irrelevant.  :lol:  One of the players we bid for is here the other isn't so at least one early bid was very relevant and the two bids are just two that we know of so how does anybody know we didn't make more bids around that time?  Jesus wept, Milner has just gone to Villa 2 years after they first bid for him, Michael Owen was chased by us for many months, I could go on but you'll not see it anyway so I don't see the point.

They are irrelevant though if you don't follow them through to close or move onto your back up plan faster. Putting out some tentaive bids is not moving fast, it's what most if not all clubs do at the end of every season. Moving early is converting these bids to deals. We've failed to do that, lessons will need to be learned from this transfer window because if you think they planned to be where we are now then you are a buffoon, they've made mistakes accept it and move on.

Where's the alternative to this much vaunted bid for Modric ? Is it Guthrie, because if it is and despite how well he's done, I'm severly underwhellemed!

Unbelieveable you truely believe the bids of 4.5 mill or whatever Villa made for Milner 2 years ago is the same deal as the 12 Million one now. There is zero connection between them FFS. Villa had a bid accepted for Milner between Thurs and Friday Morning and was confirmed by early Friday afternoon. That's how these things can move if you are determined enough to make them happen.

It takes months to do a deal? BOLLOCKS. The buying clubs strech it out, fannying on for 2 to 3 weeks can save the incoming club £150K+ in wage very easily, that is how ridicules football is these days. You cant blame any club waiting late as possible to sign players the numbers you can save is mind boggling.

Modric and Coloccini would have been here the day the transfer window opened if things had gone our way, we'll sign players as soon as possible to prevent a deal being hijacked, saving on wages doesn't come in to it.  We could have had 3 games out of players so again, why would we try to save wages?

Because footballers are expensive, watch & be amazed how quick deals happen on deadline day.

They are irrelevant though if you don't follow them through to close or move onto your back up plan faster. Putting out some tentaive bids is not moving fast, it's what most if not all clubs do at the end of every season. Moving early is converting these bids to deals. We've failed to do that, lessons will need to be learned from this transfer window because if you think they planned to be where we are now then you are a buffoon, they've made mistakes accept it and move on.

Where's the alternative to this much vaunted bid for Modric ? Is it Guthrie, because if it is and despite how well he's done, I'm severly underwhellemed!

Unbelieveable you truely believe the bids of 4.5 mill or whatever Villa made for Milner 2 years ago is the same deal as the 12 Million one now. There is zero connection between them FFS. Villa had a bid accepted for Milner between Thurs and Friday Morning and was confirmed by early Friday afternoon. That's how these things can move if you are determined enough to make them happen.

One of the two early bids ended up with the player signing for us yet you think it was irrelevant and they weren't tentative bids, one was a club record for a defender, the other would have been a club record for any player.  :lol:

As for who we went for after losing out on Modric, I'd guess Jonas came in instead of him rather than Guthrie.

I like how Milner going to Villa under O'Neil has no connection to Villa and O'Neil bidding for a player 2 years ago, how do you work that one out?  Was it a different Villa, O'Neil and Milner?

I'm sure we have made mistakes during this window and I'm sure most other clubs have also made them.

Because footballers are expensive, watch & be amazed how quick deals happen on deadline day.

Those deals will have been worked on for weeks, they will not just happen next Monday but the deadline will force a few things through, that's what deadlines do.

One of the two early bids ended up with the player signing for us yet you think it was irrelevant and they weren't tentative bids, one was a club record for a defender, the other would have been a club record for any player.  :lol:

As for who we went for after losing out on Modric, I'd guess Jonas came in instead of him rather than Guthrie.

I like how Milner going to Villa under O'Neil has no connection to Villa and O'Neil bidding for a player 2 years ago, how do you work that one out?  Was it a different Villa, O'Neil and Milner?

I'm sure we have made mistakes during this window and I'm sure most other clubs have also made them.

Mick you are just not listening, I don't know how NE5 has the patience to debate with you.

Mick you are just not listening, I don't know how NE5 has the patience to debate with you.

By not listening you mean he's not agreeing with you.

Those deals will have been worked on for weeks, they will not just happen next Monday but the deadline will force a few things through, that's what deadlines do.

You say that like football is a well run & planned business, there will be stacks of deals done on the day.

You say that like football is a well run & planned business, there will be stacks of deals done on the day.

Clubs are buying and selling expensive assets, the selling club wants as much money as possible while the buyer wants to spend as little as possible and I can understand both points of view.

Once the transfer window shuts on Monday will be the time to judge if wise, jiminez, vetere, keegan and ashley are playing from the same hymm sheet.

If they are then I would expect the next transfer window to be well planned after Wise and that have had longer to put plans in place.

The positives I see since january are:

-We actually have a scouting system now

-From this we are digging players out from nowhere(which I have screamed on about clubs like arsenal etc     

doing for years.

-The academy is being concentrated on and from this I would expect us to continue to snap up talent across the world/country/area for years to come. This should strengthin the squad in years to come and mean losing a player does not mean we always have to buy another but can promote players from within

- from this reserve games may be actually watchable

- We should be in a key position to bring the right players in straight away

- With keegan we will always and I mean always have a go at teams and will eventually change other clubs thinkin about us being an easy game. Then they will worry about attacking us at st james

- We will play attacking football and thus should see a lot more goals than we have.

- eventually the press will realise that the club is more stable than it has been in a long time. This will mean all the crap will eventually stop.

- You get to listen to positive interviews with KK every week which makes you happy and chirpy

- You don't have to listen to boring cunts like sam,roeder,souness anymore(for a while)

- Hopefully when Kev leaves they will have a replacement that can continue his good work(Daglish never was going to be that)