Dennis Wise

Optimistic Nut

Smith would have gone if he wasn't going to have to take a massive paycut for anyone to have him. I want him gone. So did kk. That's why he wasn't even getting off the bench once our strikers were back last season. The idea that we should have kept dennis wise ahead of kevin keegan because kk 'wanted' alan smith is absolutely laughable.

I think we kept Wise cause Ashley was happy with our signings - and so am i - what more did you want from him???

:lol:

Genuine question: why do clubs have managers if all you need is a chief scout?

Another one: how can any manager formulate a style of play when he's not getting to choose the players? Shoehorning the "best players" (ha) into a team does not work. You'd know that if you'd watched England at any time in the last ten years.

Erm, to manage the playing staff? You know... like most jobs.

2. Signing specific types of players to carry out the roles. We needed a pacey winger, we've got one. A "target-man" style centre forward, i think we've signed one.

Maybe Keegan had a different vision. I don't believe he was in a Martin Jol-like position where he asked for a defensive midfielder and the powers at be signed a striker instead.

Guest Heneage

Smith would have gone if he wasn't going to have to take a massive paycut for anyone to have him. I want him gone. So did kk. That's why he wasn't even getting off the bench once our strikers were back last season. The idea that we should have kept dennis wise ahead of kevin keegan because kk 'wanted' alan smith is absolutely laughable.

I think we kept Wise cause Ashley was happy with our signings - and so am i - what more did you want from him???

Another one: how can any manager formulate a style of play when he's not getting to choose the players? Shoehorning the "best players" (ha) into a team does not work. You'd know that if you'd watched England at any time in the last ten years.

Are you telling me the players we have signed do not work in Keegans pre formulated 4-3-3?

Jonas- Big Strong midfielder that can work well in a 4-3-3 due to his ability to pretty much play across the park

Colo - Big centre back with a bit of class, who can begin attacks from the back.

Bassong- fodder for Colo in the sense hes far more physical.

Guthrie, good middle man, doesnt give it away keeps it simple, Butt with frills.

Gonzalez, seems Elano esq, small but with good attacking abilities will slot in the middle.

Xisco mobile Mark viduka type.

For me all of those fit into his style, so to say he was "Forced" players upon him is wrong. I think Keegan took more stand over the fact he didnt pick them not that they didn't fit.

So you seriously believe getting rid of Milner to stuff the owner's pockets instead of replacing him with someone better is improving the squad? We're short in numbers, "replacing" Smith and Barton with Xisco and Nacho would leave us short two players compared to the beginning of the transfer window.

quite possibly libelous

If the money isn't invested in the squad, it has to go somewhere else. It seems to me that making the club profitable has a higher priority than making us competitive. The lack of investment is evidence of that.

Could it not be sat in the clubs account?

Like it would have been when we sold Andy Cole or Woodgate?

Over three consecutive transfer windows, along with increased TV money and three season's worth of season ticket sales? They must be getting some hefty interest on that bad boy.

I thought the point was about Milner?

Or are you suggesting Ashley has put all of that in his pocket?

How many teams looking to improve have spent no money?

Where has the new TV money gone?

Possibly, but why have it sitting around in an account just now when we need to rebuild? We've had three transfer windows under Ashley with very little spending. Like some other people, I withheld my judgement of Ashley until the end of the transfer window, and now I've lost all faith in his ambition. He's turning us into another Spurs.

What I don't get it is that he's quoted as saying he wants to buy players young and develop them so they have resale value - fair enough, Wenger's been doing that for years then selling them on for massive wedge when he thinks he has/can get better - difference is that Wenger does actually spend the money he brings in.

I'm really not interested in how much spare cash NUFC has lying around if it's just sitting in an account, not unless they change the rules of the Premiership and start giving FA Cups out for it.

Can someone who peddles this "the system works on the continent line" explain the presence of 4 English teams in the quarter finals of the CL and the absence of their best example (Real Madrid) from the final for the last 6 or 7 years.

Both Barcelona and Milan use it and they were the 2 previous winners of the CL before Man Utd.

Either they both got lucky or it works on the continent.

Erm, to manage the playing staff? You know... like most jobs.

2. Signing specific types of players to carry out the roles. We needed a pacey winger, we've got one. A "target-man" style centre forward, i think we've signed one.

Maybe Keegan had a different vision. I don't believe he was in a Martin Jol-like position where he asked for a defensive midfielder and the powers at be signed a striker instead.

But surely the playing staff doesn't need managing if they're such good signings?

Possibly, but why have it sitting around in an account just now when we need to rebuild? We've had three transfer windows under Ashley with very little spending. Like some other people, I withheld my judgement of Ashley until the end of the transfer window, and now I've lost all faith in his ambition. He's turning us into another Spurs.

What I don't get it is that he's quoted as saying he wants to buy players young and develop them so they have resale value - fair enough, Wenger's been doing that for years then selling them on for massive wedge when he thinks he has/can get better - difference is that Wenger does actually spend the money he brings in.

I'm really not interested in how much spare cash NUFC has lying around if it's just sitting in an account, not unless they change the rules of the Premiership and start giving FA Cups out for it.

ashleys paid off the debt,we almost have neutrality on transfer dealings. unless the tele money has gone in,in one lump,i'd guess theres no money to be sat round accruing interest.

How many teams looking to improve have spent no money?

Where has the new TV money gone?

Perhaps the tv money is sat in the account too?

I think we've improved a fair bit but of course I would like to have seen us spend money on bringing a few more in, clearly there have been differences behind the scenes which hasn't helped our Summer.

Can I just say, Sir Bobby Robson is a legend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1053136/If-Wise-won-8217-t-club-needs-too.html

My view is quite clear. You cannot work for Newcastle United from the other end of the country. Dennis Wise has to be based in Newcastle, meeting the manager regularly, talking to him, understanding what he wants. If he will not do that and put the club first by moving north, you have to get rid of him.

It reminded me of a pre-season match at Doncaster. I was sitting at the back of the stand and Dennis, who had watched the first half much nearer the front, accidentally tried to take my seat when I had popped away for a half-time cup of tea. His reasons later became clear to me: he wanted to slip out unnoticed 10 minutes into the second half. At such a crucial time for watching and learning, as pre-season is, I was surprised - I would have thought he would have wanted to watch the game to the end, and talk with Kevin about where the team needed strengthening.

The great man has spoken.  Wise.  Out.

Guest optimistic nit

Smith didn't need replacing, most fans wern't including him in our sqaud lists anyway (well i wasn't) Barton would have neeeded replacing, and this isn't nacho, as we needed a CM barton or no barton.

milner was never replaced.

I agree with this but it's hardly a reason to resign. This is what I don't understand. That Ignacio fella is a short-term replacement for Milner, I accept this because it gives us time to look for a proper replacement. Overall I think we just missed out on another Central midfielder.

and a left back.

i'm happy with the squad we're going in with mind. just worried about who we're going to be able to find to manage it.

I thought everyone one on here loved Enrique?

N'zogbia and Colcinni are able backups - ill reserve judgement on midfield untill i see nacho

i like enrique, but we only have 2 fullbacks and i think he could do with competition as well, to help him improve his game as much as anything.

Honest question Baggio if the club had been honest in its aim over 3 transfer windows to spend very little money do you think ST sales would be anywhere near what they are?

Probably not, but I don't think it was the clubs aim to break even this Summer.

Can I just say, Sir Bobby Robson is a legend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1053136/If-Wise-won-8217-t-club-needs-too.html

My view is quite clear. You cannot work for Newcastle United from the other end of the country. Dennis Wise has to be based in Newcastle, meeting the manager regularly, talking to him, understanding what he wants. If he will not do that and put the club first by moving north, you have to get rid of him.

It reminded me of a pre-season match at Doncaster. I was sitting at the back of the stand and Dennis, who had watched the first half much nearer the front, accidentally tried to take my seat when I had popped away for a half-time cup of tea. His reasons later became clear to me: he wanted to slip out unnoticed 10 minutes into the second half. At such a crucial time for watching and learning, as pre-season is, I was surprised - I would have thought he would have wanted to watch the game to the end, and talk with Kevin about where the team needed strengthening.

The great man has spoken.  Wise.  Out.

Indeed he has.

Deary deary me.

This is stomach-churning stuff.

Couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Wise is the rat, literally.

Got proof?

Of course not, man. HTT's still looking for a brown paper bag.

HTT is gutted because he only stumped up for his first ever season ticket because KK was back and one home game in he's already fucking walked. :lol:

Got proof?

HTT is gutted because he only stumped up for his first ever season ticket because KK was back and one home game in he's already f***ing walked. :lol:

and that is perversly funny

Got proof?

HTT is gutted because he only stumped up for his first ever season ticket because KK was back and one home game in he's already fucking walked. :lol:

Sorry, I know I knock HTT a bit, but really (for that last comment and a few others) I think you're a right cunt Baggio.

Guest Howaythetoon

Got proof?

Look at his face man, more rat than Splinter from the Turtles and just as deadly I hear with the chop.

Guest Geordiesned

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2008/09/05/an-interesting-excerpt-from-dennis-wises-autobiography

In case you didn’t know, Dennis Wise - the chap who Alex Ferguson said “could start a fight in an empty house” - is a thoroughly upstanding citizen who is adored by fans across the nation for his refusal to acquiesce to demands of the the money men. That is, according to the jacket of his 1999 autobiography:

In an age when football is dominated by glamorous foreign players chasing multi-million-pound contracts from club to club, Dennis Wise represents the traditions of team loyalty, dogged determination and fighting spirit.

It is perhaps this, as well as his charmingly irascible nature, that makes Dennis - Wisey to his teammates and fans - such an enduringly popular player.

‘Enduringly popular’? Leicester, Leeds and Newcastle fans would probably disagree…