70 million reasons we won't be taken over at the moment

stozo

Liverpool has a much bigger population than Newcastle. More than double.

The tyne corridoor has a population of 880000, liverpool has 430000

Yes, Liverpool as a city is 430,000. Merseyside is 1.4m

Newcastle as a city is 190,000. Tyneside is 900,000.

Where are you taking Merseyside too?

Tyneside is a strange connurbation too, would you include South Tyneside in there? Do you go up to Morpeth (Northumberland)?

Likewise Merseyside, do you stop at St Helens and the Tunnels? Do you go to Southport or stop at Aintree?

Newcastle and Liverpool are difficult places to compare population wise as the geography around them are completely different, and places associated as being in Newcastle's 'sphere' spread much further in all directions than Liverpool, due in no small part to Liverpool being bordered by a Sea and having Manchester and Chester in close proximity

Liverpool has a much bigger city feel too, as it was built up as one urban centre whereas tyneside was more a collection of centres, with newcastle being the biggest. also true about the tyneside sphere of influence, which extends down into durham, up north to berwick's sphere of influence and out west to carlisle's. as you say, liverpool has an even bigger city on its doorstep in manchester which curtails how far its influence spreads, but if you go to north wales you'll see plenty of liverpool shirts.

also if we're just talking about football, it doesnt help everton or liverpool that they have to share the city (and then theres tranmere tho theyre not very big, but still..). i'd wager there's more local newcastle fans in our immediate area than liv or ev fans in theirs.

This spheres of influence thing.

Professor Tom Cannon on Villa v Everton as an investment opportunity

Villa are a genuine long-term potential club. They have history. They have won the European Cup and, despite the fact that Birmingham may get promoted to the Premiership next season, they are still the only major club in the Midlands.

That is a franchise that stretches almost from Leicester and the east Midlands right over to parts of central Wales.

The natural franchise for Villa is probably 15 million people, whereas the natural franchise for Everton is maybe 1.5m.

And, to contradict myself, if you follow this "natural area of support" argument, Villa would be playing in front of 100k every other week.

But we're not.

My conclusion from this is that the whole "we've got x millon people on our area" argument doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Villa are a genuine long-term potential club. They have history. They have won the European Cup and, despite the fact that Birmingham may get promoted to the Premiership next season, they are still the only major club in the Midlands.

That is a franchise that stretches almost from Leicester and the east Midlands right over to parts of central Wales.

The natural franchise for Villa is probably 15 million people, whereas the natural franchise for Everton is maybe 1.5m.

And, to contradict myself, if you follow this "natural area of support" argument, Villa would be playing in front of 100k every other week.

But we're not.

My conclusion from this is that the whole "we've got x millon people on our area" argument doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

My motivation in the first place wasn't to say that we've got bigger potential fanbase etc than Newcastle United. I never once mentioned fanbase. All I was doing is correcting the statement that Liverpool is a smaller city when the truth is the opposite. When it comes to fanbase there are loads of other factors that come into play like neighbouring teams, surrounding cities etc

btw, you probably don't realise that Tom Cannon article you're quoting from was basically a rebuke to our fans over the criticism of Tom's personal friend Bill Kenwright. Therefore his motivation was to talk down Everton's prospects in every way possible and promote moving the club to Kirkby.

For example 1.5m is a joke- that discounts most of Cheshire, the entire of Lancashire and the entire of North Wales which are all areas where we traditionally have good support. Tom Cannon was jeered by a room full of shareholders at the EGM the other day as soon as he stood up to talk his usual pro-Kenwright rubbish.  :thdn:

But we're not.

Villa are the best supported Midlands side but you will see as many Man U or Liverpool shirts as Villa shirts in the areas just outside Birmingham.

consider this factor IMO not one of these teams would get 50K fans turning up if they had not won even a domestic trophy for over half a century.

Back on subject,

Ashley paid the debt off not to mention the 27 mill outstanding transfer sum which I think came on top of that.

There are people on here who think 70million quid is not a big sum, which I find amazing.

Tom Cannon is an utter c~*t.  He is an expert on all football finances except Everton as he craves favourability from the board. His opinions are worth fuck all.

But we're not.

Guest kirkpatrick9

My motivation in the first place wasn't to say that we've got bigger potential fanbase etc than Newcastle United. I never once mentioned fanbase. All I was doing is correcting the statement that Liverpool is a smaller city when the truth is the opposite. When it comes to fanbase there are loads of other factors that come into play like neighbouring teams, surrounding cities etc

btw, you probably don't realise that Tom Cannon article you're quoting from was basically a rebuke to our fans over the criticism of Tom's personal friend Bill Kenwright. Therefore his motivation was to talk down Everton's prospects in every way possible and promote moving the club to Kirkby.

For example 1.5m is a joke- that discounts most of Cheshire, the entire of Lancashire and the entire of North Wales which are all areas where we traditionally have good support. Tom Cannon was jeered by a room full of shareholders at the EGM the other day as soon as he stood up to talk his usual pro-Kenwright rubbish.  :thdn:

I wasn't here to prove anything. But you come in trying to prove something that wasn't there.

I have debunked what you come into say and proved that you are a two club city and you have a slightly smaller population built around the clubs Liverpool and Everton. Big deal. And I have shown you this without bringing in co durham and northumberland. This makes no odds to Newcastle currently anyway. But you can say is there is probably only five clubs with a similar local population like NUFC in Britain, two of them currently play in Scotland. But footballs a world market now anyway.