So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

I don't particularly like the sound of consortiums that have been put together just to buy the club. It suggests that there won't be much in the way of funds to invest in the club, over and above what has been generated through income. I also worry whether divisions might appear between the various backers, at some stage. (Look at what's happened to Liverpool) I'd be happier with a leader who could impose a direction and, if necessary, take calculated risks. It seems to me that with these consortiums we'd be operating on a more strictly business model, and I've yet to see anything to get enthusiastic about. As Sir John Hall said, the corporate model doesn't really work for football.

These people also seem to be dangling the carrot to the fans of bringing Keegan back, but Keegan likes to have access to the man with the purse strings, and to persuade him to cough up funds. As we've seen, he doesn't like working within a corporate structure. That's if you think it's right to bring Keegan back anyway, which I don't.

Unless we're looking at some Abramovich-style sugardaddy, I can't see that they're going to offer us anything more than Ashley, and in fact, arguably less.

Agreed - it needs BIG bucks and a totally professional approach ; NOT the seat-of-the-pants stuff that Ashley put in place to replace Chris Mort....

Guest kirkpatrick9

Until any of the top 5 richest people in the world are rumoured to be interested in buying Newcastle I'm hoping 6th richest man in the world, Ambiani buys us.

here, here.

This could have gone in here too...

My problem with all this is that now we have a very broad debate about ownership, it is clear that if Ashley had done one thing differently, we would be in a very different place in this debate.

If Ashley had not appointed Keegan (and taken the hit on short-term season ticket sales and kept them on a one-year basis), then we would be looking at a very differentl club with a very different perception of what we want from ownerhsip.

Basically, Ashley was about as good a British owner in terms of wealth we could expect. Our desire is to see the richest men in the world takeover our club and turn it into their plaything. All this talk of Ambani and other ultra-rich multi-billionaires is nothing but paper-talk. The events at Man City have clouded this issue for us too and served to raise expectations about the possibilities of alternative ownership. I'm really very concerned that this is all leading us down the path of inflated expectations and inevitable disappointment (yet again!).

I hope i'm wrong and the new owners are from fantasy island but i suspect that because we currently operate in the second financial tier of football clubs, that only those billionaires desperate to throw their money at something, regardless of the return, would see us as the right club to buy. I'm not sure how probable that is for now.

I think we need someone who sees the "Investment" as long term - I know Ashley said that was his intention but I'm not convinced.

That's why I was interested in the mooted Chinese deal which was linked to property/business development around the ground of which football would be almost a sideline - I know that sounds bad but from a business pov I think its better than a "whimsical" billionaire or a consortium which is stretching itself just to buy the club.

This could have gone in here too...

My problem with all this is that now we have a very broad debate about ownership, it is clear that if Ashley had done one thing differently, we would be in a very different place in this debate.

If Ashley had not appointed Keegan (and taken the hit on short-term season ticket sales and kept them on a one-year basis), then we would be looking at a very differentl club with a very different perception of what we want from ownerhsip.

Basically, Ashley was about as good a British owner in terms of wealth we could expect. Our desire is to see the richest men in the world takeover our club and turn it into their plaything. All this talk of Ambani and other ultra-rich multi-billionaires is nothing but paper-talk. The events at Man City have clouded this issue for us too and served to raise expectations about the possibilities of alternative ownership. I'm really very concerned that this is all leading us down the path of inflated expectations and inevitable disappointment (yet again!).

I hope i'm wrong and the new owners are from fantasy island but i suspect that because we currently operate in the second financial tier of football clubs, that only those billionaires desperate to throw their money at something, regardless of the return, would see us as the right club to buy. I'm not sure how probable that is for now.

That's my thinking on all this as well.

I'm yet to be convinced about Ambiani and all these stories. With his kind of money, he could walk into just about any Premiership club - including Liverpool or Arsenal - and pick them up without making much of a dent in his wallet. Why all this drawn-out, fiddling around with a club like Everton?

Or us for that matter. If he's really a toon supporter as he's alleged to be why go for Everton unless it's just a lever to get Ashley to drop his price?

The Nigerian consortium bidding for control of Newcastle are confident their offer for the club will be accepted by wantaway owner Mike Ashley.

Chris Nathaniel, the chairman of NVA, the management company which has gathered the consortium of Nigerian businessmen, believes the undisclosed offer signals the intent of his clients.

Even from within Nigeria, the move has been met with scepticism – an attitude that has angered Nathaniel.

“For the information of those who want to know, we lodged our official bid on Friday and we are very serious about it," Nathaniel told Kick Off Nigeria.

“I wonder why people think it is not authentic.

“It is now for the owner, Mike Ashley to accept or reject the bid but we are confident and hopeful it will sail through.”

NVA have also investigated the possibility of buying a team in Belgium to act as a feeder club for Nigerian youngsters but Nathaniel has confirmed all their energies are now focused on The Magpies, who have also been the subject of interest from South Africa, according to recent reports.

Nathaniel added: “For now, we will just stick to Newcastle and hope we can make history for being the first black consortium to own an English Premiership club.”

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/09/30/Premier-League-Nathaniel-on-Newcastle-bid/

Guest TinoInHiding

Unless we're looking at some Abramovich-style sugardaddy, I can't see that they're going to offer us anything more than Ashley, and in fact, arguably less.

What about the SAFC model with a front man backed by a group with enough money between them?

Seems to be working.

That's a good point, but I'd add 'so far' on to 'seems to be working'.

They bought the club cheap, made good choices with their Manager and Chief Exec, and invested well to bring about promotion and then keep the club there. The task of pushing on from where they're at is a different one altogether though.

OT : People keep saying this, but I just don't see it. Keane spent a hell of a lot of money last season to so narrowly avoid relegation. He consistently shows tactical ineptitude, his signings for the club have had price tags wholly disproportionate to their performance, and he's a huffy t*** just a Mackem's boo away from walking out on them forever.

Newcastle United are moving a step closer to finding a new owner, Sky Sports News understands.

Mike Ashley put the club up for sale earlier this month after fans protested at Kevin Keegan's departure from the club.

A host of parties ranging from Africa to Asia, along with businessmen in America, are being linked with possible moves.

According to Sky Sports Newschief news reporter Bryan Swanson, lawyers working on behalf of Newcastle have released confidential information about the club to interested parties.

However, as of Monday night, there had been no contact between Newcastle and a consortium of South African businessmen.

Swanson also understands a number of parties have expressed their interest in the club and lawyers will now analyse the club's financial information before they put a price to Ashley.

There still remains a 'high probability' the club will be sold within the next six weeks.

Joe Kinnear was appointed interim manager at the troubled North East giants last week, with a view to new owners coming in before the end of October - when they would be expected to bring in a new management team.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4224608,00.html

Hopefully, i just worry that who ever comes in will have to spunk money in January to maybe kep us in the lague if things are going really bad.  Money that would not be there the following summer transfer window.

Hopefully, i just worry that who ever comes in will have to spunk money in January to maybe kep us in the lague if things are going really bad.  Money that would not be there the following summer transfer window.

As long as those players improve the team then less will need to be spent in the summer anyway.

Would be worth it if we stay up