Kevin Davies

Guest eyeball_tickler

Also spied some chat in the papers today about Crewe's Luke Varney being a target for us - I don't keep up with the Championship, anyone know anything about this player? Any good?

24 years old, only seen him in that cup game, seemed to win every header, had quick feet and scored a decent goal but im always a bit cautious about a player who has gotten to that age and is still player in the 3rd tier of English football.

Also spied some chat in the papers today about Crewe's Luke Varney being a target for us - I don't keep up with the Championship, anyone know anything about this player? Any good?

24 years old, only seen him in that cup game, seemed to win every header, had quick feet and scored a decent goal but im always a bit cautious about a player who has gotten to that age and is still player in the 3rd tier of English football.

Didn't Lua Lua come from the 3rd tier?

Colchester, was quite lucky to get the money back. Decent enough at the level he went to but I think he is 3rd or 4th choice now?

Colchester, was quite lucky to get the money back. Decent enough at the level he went to but I think he is 3rd or 4th choice now?

Well, anyway, sounds like Roeder's preparing us for life in the Championship. tongue.gif

Struggling to get over an injury, I thought.

Ah right, possibly because that Mwuwawarararwari wouldnt be first choice I would have thought but Kanu/Cole?

Point is, where we SHOULD be then Lua Lua SHOULDN'T be better than 3rd/4th choice. Same as Shola.

Maybe these are the sort of players we should be going after nowadays. We've blown millions of pounds on foreigners and alledgedly-brilliants who just haven't worked out. Your Fergusons, your Vianas, your Luques, your Marcelinos, your Guivarchs, your Martins (some might say) - and they just don't work. You look at the squad Keegan built and the budgets he had. Andy Cole, prime example, cost £1.75m and look what he did for us!

Maybe these are the sort of players we should be going after? People such as Davies and Nugent and Upson, who have experience and quality yet still have a lot of fire in their belly. You look at the likes of Wigan and Portsmouth and Bolton and Reading who have built good teams on these sort of budgets, and have got very far and done well.

Nugent's got class in my eyes anyway - a key figure in a very good Preston side this year. I think that there's every chance that we've got another Andy Johnson or Darren Bent here, as apposed to a Gzegorsz Rasiak for instance. He's young and i bet he'll turn into a damned good player.

I rate Matthew Upson aswell, as i've said before. When he was in the Premiership he was always one of those just on the brink of the England squad. Plenty of decent attributes, just well down the pecking order.

Those guys could improve our squad no end. Unfortunately, we ain't quite got the manager to turn them into brilliant players... a la Keegan-Cole.

Maybe these are the sort of players we should be going after nowadays. We've blown millions of pounds on foreigners and alledgedly-brilliants who just haven't worked out. Your Fergusons, your Vianas, your Luques, your Marcelinos, your Guivarchs, your Martins (some might say) - and they just don't work. You look at the squad Keegan built and the budgets he had. Andy Cole, prime example, cost £1.75m and look what he did for us!

Maybe these are the sort of players we should be going after? People such as Davies and Nugent and Upson, who have experience and quality yet still have a lot of fire in their belly. You look at the likes of Wigan and Portsmouth and Bolton and Reading who have built good teams on these sort of budgets, and have got very far and done well.

Nugent's got class in my eyes anyway - a key figure in a very good Preston side this year. I think that there's every chance that we've got another Andy Johnson or Darren Bent here, as apposed to a Gzegorsz Rasiak for instance. He's young and i bet he'll turn into a damned good player.

I rate Matthew Upson aswell, as i've said before. When he was in the Premiership he was always one of those just on the brink of the England squad. Plenty of decent attributes, just well down the pecking order.

Those guys could improve our squad no end. Unfortunately, we ain't quite got the manager to turn them into brilliant players... a la Keegan-Cole.

Was that from memory?

Anyway, Davies looks good at Bolton because of the system they play and the limited amount of pressure on him. If he were to come to us he would likely sink without a trace very quickly like he did at Blackburn. Just because we are doing badly doesn't mean we have to buy players who give a 100%, but have very limited ability. Nugent would be the way to go if we were looking to buy from the lower leagues, simply because he does have ability.

Grezegorz Rasiak wasn't even that good for Derby.  He scored a few goals, but for me it was clear that he was never cut out for the prem.  Thought the same about Huddlestone, and he's yet to get his chance.

Don't rate Upson and when is the last time he was around the England set up? Brum only got relegated last season and I dont remember Upson being around it recently! Better than what we have but not what we need, always looked as though he needs someone to comand him which we have enough of already!

We can do alot better than all of those players. But id be far from upset if we managed to sign them.

Id be happy with Nugent, although is he that much better than Chopra??

Davies wont particularly help our goalscoring problems, but he is certainly the type of player we need, I would rather have Viduka mind.

Neill would be acceptable, and can gel well with Moore and even give a bit more cover at the back.

Bridge goes without saying.

Upson just isnt the leader we need, he is a good player though if he has his injury problems behind him, but we need a leader of men and someone that will organise the back, would improve our backline but wouldnt run it.

3 new defenders and 2 new strikers is certainly what we need come january though.

With Luque as good as gone, Rossi going and more than likely Nicky Butt out the door, i think we will generate the funds to get what we need.

Guest maroonman

Given the problems at Hearts, Roeder could do worse than sign Paul Hartley.

He'll be available come January and he's a bloody good player.

Given the problems at Hearts, Roeder could do worse than sign Paul Hartley.

He'll be available come January and he's a bloody good player.

Aye, while he's at it, he can bring in Steven Pressley and Craig Gordon too.

Guest smoggeordie

We can do alot better than all of those players. But id be far from upset if we managed to sign them.

Id be happy with Nugent, although is he that much better than Chopra??

Davies wont particularly help our goalscoring problems, but he is certainly the type of player we need, I would rather have Viduka mind.

Neill would be acceptable, and can gel well with Moore and even give a bit more cover at the back.

Bridge goes without saying.

Upson just isnt the leader we need, he is a good player though if he has his injury problems behind him, but we need a leader of men and someone that will organise the back, would improve our backline but wouldnt run it.

3 new defenders and 2 new strikers is certainly what we need come january though.

With Luque as good as gone, Rossi going and more than likely Nicky Butt out the door, i think we will generate the funds to get what we need.

We'd be lucky to get more than 3million for Luque and Butt combined.

More rubbish probably.

Toon eyeing Baggies midfielder? 

Newcastle United are thought to have targeted West Bromwich Albion star Zoltan Gera as a possible January recruit. 

Hungarian international Gera has made it clear he wants to return to the Premiership as soon as possible, and has openly courted attention from top-flight clubs.

New Magpies assistant boss Nigel Pearson was recently the number two at The Hawthorns, and has recommended Gera to Toon boss Glenn Roeder.

Newcastle are desperate for an attacking spark, having scored just seven goals in ten Premiership matches, and Pearson believes Gera's thrust from midfield would make him a valuable addition.

Baggies boss Tony Mowbray is unlikely to wish to part with Gera, but he may sacrifice him in order to further strengthen his squad.

More rubbish probably.

Toon eyeing Baggies midfielder? 

Newcastle United are thought to have targeted West Bromwich Albion star Zoltan Gera as a possible January recruit. 

Hungarian international Gera has made it clear he wants to return to the Premiership as soon as possible, and has openly courted attention from top-flight clubs.

New Magpies assistant boss Nigel Pearson was recently the number two at The Hawthorns, and has recommended Gera to Toon boss Glenn Roeder.

Newcastle are desperate for an attacking spark, having scored just seven goals in ten Premiership matches, and Pearson believes Gera's thrust from midfield would make him a valuable addition.

Baggies boss Tony Mowbray is unlikely to wish to part with Gera, but he may sacrifice him in order to further strengthen his squad.

I did suspect that more strength to the midfield would be required.  Just as well the defence and striking options are limitless at the present time. :roll: