I joked about a DVD, but hey I was close....

Guest Heneage

Jesus....what was that about "little things please little minds" ?

Maybe should be rewritten as "tiny achievements obsess tiny minds" ?  :rolleyes:

Actually, why not print that on a T shirt, with the pic of their 2-1 T-shirt underneath ?  mackems.gif

Sadly I just remembered that I have a mate who has a Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd mug (official merchandise)  :-[

Beating the best team in the land 5-0 to go top of the league, or beating a team 2nd bottom in the table in a scrappy 2-1...not quite the same is it?

For me it is to be honest. Its 1 game out of 38 and while its great to celebrate amongst ourselves for the next 24/48 hours, I dont think the club should have acted like gloating school children. I am sure Man Utd sold more mugs with "Champions" on than we did of the "5-0" ones at the end of that season.

They saw an opportunity to make some extra cash on the back of a decent result and I can understand that. I wouldn't buy it but 5-0 in a game of that magnitude was immense and very impressive.

On the other hand, a boring 2-1 win against your rivals, and a drawn (!) game, are just bordering on the pathetic. No doubt people will still buy the merch so I guess fair play to the clubs for putting it out, but it's still really sad and worth pointing out. Our 5-0 was over a decade ago and I can recall only one or two similar items since then (the Barca 3-2 game, the Spurs 7-1 and maybe there was another). Nothing in recent years. DVD-wise, don't forget that back in 1996/97 getting a hold of such video wasn't anywhere near as easy as it is today thanks to the internet. They could have video of those games for free within a few minutes if they knew where to look, or they could pay a tenner for the privilege.

They saw an opportunity to make some extra cash on the back of a decent result and I can understand that. I wouldn't buy it but 5-0 in a game of that magnitude was immense and very impressive.

On the other hand, a boring 2-1 win against your rivals, and a drawn (!) game, are just bordering on the pathetic. No doubt people will still buy the merch so I guess fair play to the clubs for putting it out, but it's still really sad and worth pointing out. Our 5-0 was over a decade ago and I can recall only one or two similar items since then (the Barca 3-2 game, the Spurs 7-1 and maybe there was another). Nothing in recent years. DVD-wise, don't forget that back in 1996/97 getting a hold of such video wasn't anywhere near as easy as it is today thanks to the internet. They could have video of those games for free within a few minutes if they knew where to look, or they could pay a tenner for the privilege.

Of course games like this are the marketing depts dreams but I think it indicates the current weakness in the mentality of clubs like Newcastle and Spurs.

Instead of enjoying the result and then moving on to the next game, the fans act on like they have actually won a trophy. If there was more of a mentality of "well it was a good result but until we win some silverware it means nothing", then we may get a bit closer to actually achieving something.

For me it was proved no more so than a week after the 5-0 when we went to Leicester and lost 2-0 - for me rendering the 5-0 useless. Look at Sunderlands 2 results since, the over-reaction to the result against us has completely knocked everyones focus (although granted, Chelsea could have stuffed them at any given stage)

Guest optimistic nit

Sadly I just remembered that I have a mate who has a Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd mug (official merchandise)  :-[

Beating the best team in the land 5-0 to go top of the league, or beating a team 2nd bottom in the table in a scrappy 2-1...not quite the same is it?

For me it is to be honest. Its 1 game out of 38 and while its great to celebrate amongst ourselves for the next 24/48 hours, I dont think the club should have acted like gloating school children. I am sure Man Utd sold more mugs with "Champions" on than we did of the "5-0" ones at the end of that season.

there is a world of difference tbh.

Of course games like this are the marketing depts dreams but I think it indicates the current weakness in the mentality of clubs like Newcastle and Spurs.

Instead of enjoying the result and then moving on to the next game, the fans act on like they have actually won a trophy. If there was more of a mentality of "well it was a good result but until we win some silverware it means nothing", then we may get a bit closer to actually achieving something.

For me it was proved no more so than a week after the 5-0 when we went to Leicester and lost 2-0 - for me rendering the 5-0 useless. Look at Sunderlands 2 results since, the over-reaction to the result against us has completely knocked everyones focus (although granted, Chelsea could have stuffed them at any given stage)

We've not put out anything of that nature in recent times. If we did, I'd have no problem voicing how I don't like it. Probably be even more unimpressed actually, because I don't expect or like to see a club like ours putting out such trash.

Bet if you asked Man U fans at the time they would say exactly what we are saying now about the Makems

Bet if you asked Man U fans at the time they would say exactly what we are saying now about the Makems

http://www.prideofmanchester.com/sport/photos/mufc%20-%20theepic.jpg

Arsenal v Man Utd, FA Cup Semi-Final 1999.

Side celebrating a win over a big rival for a competition.

So it just shows that every club is capable of this.

If I wanted to keep this going I could say that this was an FA Cup Semi-Final so it was a tad more significant that a league game but thats splitting hairs. Be interesting to know if that came out immediately or after their cup final win over us.

All I was getting at is that we, and obviously all fans, can be guilty of going over the top over just 1 match and 1 result.

So it just shows that every club is capable of this.

If I wanted to keep this going I could say that this was an FA Cup Semi-Final so it was a tad more significant that a league game but thats splitting hairs. Be interesting to know if that came out immediately or after their cup final win over us.

All I was getting at is that we, and obviously all fans, can be guilty of going over the top over just 1 match and 1 result.

My point was more to do with that game had something special in it (the Giggs goal, Man Utd winning despite being with 10-men and a penalty-save), as did our 5-0 with Man Utd, 3-2 with Barca, 7-1 with Spurs breath-taking football.

All completely different to a narrow 2-1 win which didn't have much great football or any real great moments in it.

I seem to recall Liverpool bringing out 2 DVD's of BOTH of our 4-3 defeats against them called 'Kings Of The Castle' or something.

The North London Mackems have just brought out a DVD of their DRAW with Arsenal the other night aswell.

My point was more to do with that game had something special in it (the Giggs goal, Man Utd winning despite being with 10-men and a penalty-save), as did our 5-0 with Man Utd, 3-2 with Barca, 7-1 with Spurs breath-taking football.

All completely different to a narrow 2-1 win which didn't have much great football or any real great moments in it.

Perhaps underestimating how special it was for them to beat us ?

We might belittle them because we have had the upper hand for so long but for them, they seem to be greeting it as a monumental achievement (seemingly the equivalent of us beating Barcelona). Its all relative really.

Perhaps underestimating how special it was for them to beat us ?

We might belittle them because we have had the upper hand for so long but for them, they seem to be greeting it as a monumental achievement (seemingly the equivalent of us beating Barcelona). Its all relative really.

That's the original point though wasn't it? Pointing out what a small-time mentality our neighbours have? ;)

That's the original point though wasn't it? Pointing out what a small-time mentality our neighbours have? ;)

:lol: I think your right

I just wish we were in a bit of a better position at the minute to allow us to truly put them down for it.

Hell - whats wrong with bringing out dvd's ?

I'm all for it.

Hey, "David Icke - Son of God" - who's the tasty female in your avatar ?

Don't know if there's been anything since but we brought out a video of our 4-3 win at home to Man Utd under Sir Bobby in the 01/02 season.

Guest Geordiesned

Don't know if there's been anything since but we brought out a video of our 4-3 win at home to Man Utd under Sir Bobby in the 01/02 season.

The last 2 seasons haven't even merited an end of season review dvd.