Taking the power back: European football fans stake claim in their clubs

GM

Stumbled across this article at work today - thought I'd share it with you all. Some of you may find it interesting, maybe?  :dontknow:

European football fans stake claim in clubs

By Henry Palmer

Article - Social Enterprise magazine

Date posted: Tuesday 21 October 2008

Football fans across Europe could be empowered to set up community enterprises to wrest control of clubs from current owners, if the recommendations of a UEFA-backed report published last week are implemented.

The report is the result of an 18-month research programme, undertaken by Supporters Direct and backed by European football's governing body UEFA, into the feasibility of setting up an organisation that would help fans set up supporters' trusts.

The executive summary of the report was unveiled at Supporters Direct's annual conference in London last Thursday to allow fans' groups across Europe to give feedback on the proposals ahead of the publication of a full report next month.

These trusts, set up as co-operatives, would seek representation on the boards of football clubs across Europe to encourage greater transparency and, in some circumstances, even attempt to secure outright ownership of clubs - a model most closely associated with Barcelona.

The creation of a Supporters Direct Europe would be based on the work of Supporters Direct in the UK, which since 2000 has been instrumental to the creation of 150 trusts.

During this time, the organisation has also helped 14 trusts actually buy out their clubs, often from owners who had led them into financial difficulties. Trust owned clubs include Brentford, Telford United, Exeter City, Notts County, Stockport FC and AFC Wimbledon.

Dave Boyle, CEO of Supporters Direct told Social Enterprise: 'UEFA have said in the past that were football being started from scratch, they'd like clubs to be owned by fans. While you can't put the genie back in the lamp, German clubs recently voted to maintain the status of their clubs as supporter-owned; a crucial development given the Bundesliga is the most profitable in Europe.

'There are a lot of interesting things happening in football in Europe, not least the developments here in the UK with the FA and the Government, and with UEFA's real commitment for our work, there's a sense the tide of the argument is starting to turn in our favour.'

UEFA funded the feasibility study as part of its remit to improve the governance of football clubs and tackle some of the problems affecting sport.

‘The growth of the trust movement in the UK is evidence of the desire of football supporters to play a part in the ownership and governance of clubs,' the report said.

It concluded: ‘There is a demand outside the UK for services similar to those provided by Supporters Direct UK and a Supporters Direct Europe could enhance the contribution fans can make to a wider agenda of ensuring that clubs are financially stable by ensuring they conform to good governance.'

The report claimed a strong supporters' trust movement across Europe could help reduce the sense of alienation among football fans and even reduce violence and racism.

‘There is evidence which shows that where fan-club relations are characterised by violence in the stadium, a sense of involvement and ownership of the more responsible and constructive tendency of fans can make a positive impact in terms of reducing violence, the report said.

Antonia Hageman, project manager of the UEFA feasibility study, said: 'The next step is to identify exactly what help fans need to make that happen, and how Supporters Direct can best be organised to meet that demand.'

The executive summary of the report is available via www.supporters-direct.org

Very good read and an excellent article. Partly for the reasons above I go to St Pauli games rather than HSV.

St Pauli are the world's best football club. I am planning a pilgrimage to the Millerntor next summer.  :aww:

Very good read and an excellent article. Partly for the reasons above I go to St Pauli games rather than HSV.

St Pauli are the world's best football club. I am planning a pilgrimage to the Millerntor next summer.  :aww:

:thup:

• 6 months later...

Given that so many of us are pig-sick of that sick pig Ashley's ownership of this club, I just thought perhaps this thread was worth a bump.

Especially in light of this: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,62148.msg1821872.html#msg1821872

Maybe this time round people may read it with refreshed interest, and consider the fact that this route may very well be the way to put this club and this city's proud footballing tradition back on track and keep it stable for the future?

Yeah, I'm a big admirer of the club also.

Guest firetotheworks

No more lies

No more lies

No more lies

etc etc

???

Rage Against the Machine - Take the power back.

Guest Brummiemag

Dont know much about St Pauli, not even the region/City they are based in  - can someone tell me in a couple of sentances more about them and why they are so admired?

Dont know much about St Pauli, not even the region/City they are based in  - can someone tell me in a couple of sentances more about them and why they are so admired?

i cant, just know that some lads i made friends with through the NAC-NUFC game rave about them. st pauli are friends of NAC apparently

I never went to a game when I lived in Hamburg, so I can't tell you about inside the ground or the atmosphere, but every single St Pauli fan I've ever met has been absolutely sound.

The stadium is in one of Hamburg's red light districts (the Reeperbahn is in St Pauli), the skull and crossbones is the fans' symbol, and being a top bloke seems to be a core element of the club identity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_St._Pauli