Sven "Interested" - DENIED

Guest eyeball_tickler

I honestly thought HTL had more about him than to point to the money spent on players and say "you'd have to be a wanker to want to get rid of that board!".  Disappointing.

And I thought you would be intelligent enough to see past your bias and recogninse that they did not have to try to compete near the top by making this level of cash available.

Jesus Christ, THAT IS THEIR JOB.  If the club is generating that much cash, then YES, it is their duty to make that cash available to improve things on the pitch.  The alternative is that it goes in their back pocket - are you suggesting I should be grateful that it didn't??

It is naive to believe they HAVE to spend such vast sums on players.

Guest eyeball_tickler

NEWCASTLE fans and former players have dismissed the idea that Sven Goran Eriksson could be the new Geordie Messiah.

Toon lie 17th in the Premiership with just eight points from their first 10 games.

SunSport exclusively revealed yesterday Eriksson believes he can turn Newcastle into champions.

But the much-maligned Swede is not the answer to the prayers of anyone with an interest in the club. And the clear message is the board should stick with boss Glenn Roeder rather than bring in the former England coach.

St James’ legend Chris Waddle reckons any English club who employed Sven would be taking a huge gamble.

Waddle said: “Everyone in the country wants to see the back of him after what happened with England.

“It would not be a popular decision with the Toon fans — and I’m sure fans of other clubs don’t want to see him get a job here either.

“It would be a massive gamble — and one I don’t think Freddy Shepherd will take right now.”

SunSport columnist Waddle, 45, added: “I don’t think there’s any need for them to press the panic button.

“Glenn did a great job getting them into Europe and although the results haven’t been good this year he can still turn it around.

“There’s no sign that he’s lost the dressing room and he deserves to be given more time.”

Former striker Kevin Gallacher, 39, also panned Eriksson’s chances of a move to Tyneside.

He said: “Newcastle look like they need a miracle worker right now and I couldn’t see Sven delivering.

And another ex-Toon star Gavin Peacock, 38, said: “Newcastle is an attractive job and I’m sure Sven fancies it.

“But my advice would be to stick with the manager they have.”

Mark Jensen, editor of club fanzine The Mag, said: “Newcastle are renowned for making panic buys — we don’t want to be making panic moves for managers as well.

“Eriksson would not get pulses racing.”

Season-ticket holder John McIntyre, 29, from Jesmond, added: “Newcastle are a laughing stock at the moment — but it’ll be much worse if we get Eriksson.

“England were a joke at the World Cup and I’d hate to see him bring the same negative tactics here.”

Fellow fan Rob Douglas, 30, said: “Eriksson is finished.

“His first move would probably be to sign David Beckham. The last thing Newcastle need is another overpaid primadonna.”

I thought we should have gone for Sven right after Souey left. But I am not so sure now. Not sure if he can live with the enormous pressure that will surely come from taking the job.

Guest stormrider

Honestly, I'd take a manager that won the Serie A and the CWC and has a good W/D/L with england (forget the performance, results matter more) over our current manager.