Sven "Interested" - DENIED

Guest eyeball_tickler

First of, I just want to say Hello, I'm new hear, I'm from Denmark, so if my grammar, spelling or sentences all together seems completly impossible to understand.

Back to football.

I do not see Svennie as a great coach, besides being a Newcastle fan I'm also  a Juventus man, and the years that Svennie spend at Lazio, might have earnt him and the club a Championship, but with squad he had availeble, any things would have been an disaster. His reign as your narional coach, didn't exactly brighten my wiew on his abilities.

I think a manager like Marcello Lippi (Don't blame the Juventus fan) would be perfect, he has proven himself time and time again, except at Inter off course.  I think he would bring our club back on track, with his enourmess experience and winning instinct.

Also in Juventus he proved that he didn't have to buy sttar players every year to win trophies. Which coould come prove to be handy considering our somewhat unstable  economic situation.

You bring me Lippi, and i offer you my testicles on a plate.

:thup:

Guest CollapsOfEvolution

Well actually he's been learning english over the past couple of years, initially to take over the Man Utd bench ( I guess) but as it seems Sir Alex plans on doing a Metuzalem, it might be kinda of a long shot.

So maybe Newcastle seems quite good all of the sudden.

"In any case if they did it would not matter because we already have a manager."

:lol:

why did they not add the "so there!" on the end to go with thr photo of fred with his arms folded and tongue sticking out?

Guest Gemmill

Well actually he's been learning english over the past couple of years, initially to take over the Man Utd bench ( I guess) but as it seems Sir Alex plans on doing a Metuzalem, it might be kinda of a long shot.

So maybe Newcastle seems quite good all of the sudden.

The problem in all of this is that Lippi is foreign.  Freddy Shepherd is so narrow-minded that there is no way he would look at someone like Lippi.  He likes straightforward, British types that he can bully and boss around.  In that respect Roeder is his ideal patsy.  He will be as gutted as the rest of us that Roeder is losing games and may need to be sacked, but for very different reasons to why we're all disappointed.

Guest CollapsOfEvolution

He might b stupid as hell, to the brink of being absolutly braindead. but ignoring the world cup winning coach, might be to underestimate him just a bit

He might b stupid as hell, to the brink of being absolutly braindead. but ignoring the world cup winning coach, might be to underestimate him just a bit

Just 2 problems:

1.  Why would Lippi be interested in us?

2.  Shepherd will have no interest in Lippi - see Gemmill's post above

After we sacked Souness we were linked in the press with all sorts of top foreign coaches.  It seemed to me after Roeder was appointed that they were never in the frame.  Gullit fettled any chance we had of getting in a foreign coach again;  I expect Shepherd hated offering the job to a non-Geordie Englishman, let alone a foreigner.

Guest Gemmill

Erm, I think you're the one doing the underestimating tbh.  Underestimating Shepherd's stupidity.  And overestimating the draw of Newcastle United to someone like Marcelo Lippi.

The last time he had tea and bikkies with Roeder FF asked him what he thought of the new video match data analysis programme...Roeder scratched his head for a moment and then confessed somewhat embarassed that Terry Mac transfixed by all the flashing lights had wiped the hard drive looking for Oba's 'movement stats'. blueeek.gif

The last time he had tea and bikkies with Roeder FF asked him what he thought of the new video match data analysis programme...Roeder scratched his head for a moment and then confessed somewhat embarassed that Terry Mac transfixed by all the flashing lights had wiped the hard drive looking for Oba's 'movement stats'. blueeek.gif

Terry Mac probably thinks "movement stats" are how many shits he has a week  bluebiggrin.gif

Guest stormrider

Yesterday Fred gave the vote of confidence, today he's denying the Sven link.

Gone by Sunday

hope so tbh.

I second that.

Guest stormrider

I realise that there is already a topic about sven, but please keep this separated.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=388809&cc=5739

Eriksson agent dismisses 'malicious' Newcastle link

Sven-Goran Eriksson's agent has dismissed claims the Swede has set his sights on Glenn Roeder's job at Newcastle as 'malicious'.

Athole Still spoke to Eriksson on Tuesday morning amid reports that he is targeting the job at St James' Park, where a series of poor results in the Premiership has left Roeder's injury-hit side in the bottom four.

Still insisted there has been no contact between the two parties and denied Eriksson, who was last week linked with West Ham, is looking to resurrect his career at St James' Park.

He said: 'It does not surprise me because he was linked with West Ham. Such is his stature that if there is a vacancy, he is going to be linked with a job.

'But I have spoken to Sven and he is not happy at the suggestion that he has 'targeted' Newcastle, which gives quite a different slant to the thing.

'To suggest he is looking at a club where there is another professional coach in situ, it is absolute rubbish to say that. He would never do that.

'It is one thing to say that a club is interested in him - and in this case, there has been no contact whatsoever - but to say he has targeted the job of another coach is absolutely unacceptable and is malicious.'

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has also moved to dismiss any link with the England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

'This is all news to me,' Shepherd said.

'I have not spoken to Sven since he left the England job and I have no intention of speaking to him.

'Neither have I spoken to his agent Athole Still - and as far as I am aware, they have not tried to approach us.

'In any case if they did, it would not matter because we already have a manager.'

Eriksson has been out of work since leaving his post as England coach after this summer's World Cup Finals.

He has been linked with several jobs since, although Still has repeatedly spoken of his desire to take on a club with the potential to compete in the Champions League.

The right opportunity is yet to come along, but Eriksson's agent is confident it is only a matter of time.

He said: 'There have been lots of clubs interested, but somebody at his level has to wait for the right job.

'The right job will come, and I believe it will come sooner rather than later.'

If I see this as anything, I see it as Sven coming here for sure. Prepare yourselves.

That was the Ultras asking for a wave, went on for about 10 seconds in total

The bastards. Are they trying to unhinge Roeder's mind!?!?  :lol:

Nah, Oliver is just misinterpreting the 'we hate cockneys' chant.

Guest stormrider

An article in aftonbladet.se

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/story/0,2789,920828,00.html

Nya rykten kring Svennis

Newcastle kan bli svenskens språngbräda tillbaka till fotbollen

När Sven-Göran Eriksson lämnade England i somras trodde få att han skulle återvända till landet – ens på semester.

Först ryktades om West Ham.

Nu är det dags för Newcastle. Enligt The Sun har Sven-Göran Eriksson identifierat klubben som en tänkbar språngbräda tillbaka till fotbollen.

Newcastle ligger för tillfället farligt nära nedflyttningsstrecket och tränaren Glenn Roeder sitter inte säkert.

Same question to you. Do you think they had to give £200m to the managers to buy players.

We know that many people get a rag on at Fred for calling Geordie women dogs ( FYI I didn't marry one :) ) and so think he's a wanker. How exactly does that stop Newcastle supporters appearing as wankers to outsiders by not being happy with a Board that funds it's managers to that extent? These are two different things.

Perhaps you will actually answer these questions. Or will it be a snip of a few words and a bit of sarcasm as usual???? :cool:

I might have a bash HTL :)

"Do you think they had to give £200m to the managers to buy players." Well, as that money was generated by the club, primarily through the fans (via tickets, TV subscriptions, merchandise et al) then the options were to cream that cash off, accumulate it in the bank or spend it on the club - either players or infrastructure. So in a sense YES, they were obliged to spend that money on players, pay off the debt on the stadium and develop training and corporate factilities. Are you suggesting that as shareholders they should simply pocket all profits (as has been suggested was done in the old days?)

"How exactly does that stop Newcastle supporters appearing as wankers to outsiders by not being happy with a Board that funds it's managers to that extent?" Only the ignorant would suggest we are angry with Freddy for spending so heavily on players - we are angry that despite this investment we are still failing to reach achievable goals. We have seen a succession of managers who have failed to bring success - the media and outsiders would probably latch onto this fact as a flaw in our supporters, but those campaigning for Shepherd's removal feel that the malaise runs deeper than flawed players and managers, that something deeper is holding us back, and large sections of the Newcastle support group feel that "something" is the board, embodied by Mr. Fred Shepherd Esq

Good answer really. However, taking the first paragraph. I don't think the Board is obliged to spend anything like the amount they have done on players. It hasn't worked out overall, but they have funded the managers to a level that they hoped would allow the club to compete near the top. They definitely did that because we finished 4th, 3rd and 5th under Robson. Having then given Souness £50m to improve on a team that finished 5th I don't think they can be accused of trying to compete at a lower level. They could have opted years ago to try to operate at a lower level, therefore making less transfer funds available to managers. That's all I'm saying.

I understand the second paragraph and it's written from the point of view of a Newcastle supporter of course, but put yourself in the position of an outsider who doesn't feel the frustration. They won't know exact figures but they will be aware that Newcastle have been big spenders for years. The majority of the country see managers buying players, not Chairmen so will see a club that has a Board that fiair enough have appointed managers who haven't worked out but still a Board that backs the managers with cash. Mny clubs don't do that anywhere near as well as ours. This actually is a flaw in some supporters in my opinion. Look at the list of players signed by Dalglish. Some were good but he wasted a good deal of money, similarly with the others. Did Fred buy Maric, Marcelino for example, or was that Gullit? The list goes on.

The attitude of blaming the Board for failed signings ( and that's whata it is ) does the club no credit, a bit like Fred calling Geordie women dogs.

Living and working on the west coast of Scotland the view of the majority of people up here on the Newcastle fans is amazement that we get so big a crowd turning up every home game considering that our last domestic success was half a century ago. Most understand the fans frustration as the treatment of SBR and the Souness appointment was a disaster and Roeder looks like going the same way. As for the board backing their managers with cash I think its understood that Freddy Shepard appointed them to waste that money so the board getting it in the neck is not looked upon as anything other than justified and I think that this would be the same in any line of business if you took the second best brand and succeeded in screwing it up no matter how much money was spent in the process.

I'd be willing to give Sven a shot if he where to be appointed as it would seem Freddy got it right with his 3rd appointment with Bobby maybe theres a pattern emerging?