Sven "Interested" - DENIED

Guest eyeball_tickler

Same question to you. Do you think they had to give £200m to the managers to buy players.

We know that many people get a rag on at Fred for calling Geordie women dogs ( FYI I didn't marry one :) ) and so think he's a wanker. How exactly does that stop Newcastle supporters appearing as wankers to outsiders by not being happy with a Board that funds it's managers to that extent? These are two different things.

Perhaps you will actually answer these questions. Or will it be a snip of a few words and a bit of sarcasm as usual???? :cool:

I might have a bash HTL :)

"Do you think they had to give £200m to the managers to buy players." Well, as that money was generated by the club, primarily through the fans (via tickets, TV subscriptions, merchandise et al) then the options were to cream that cash off, accumulate it in the bank or spend it on the club - either players or infrastructure. So in a sense YES, they were obliged to spend that money on players, pay off the debt on the stadium and develop training and corporate factilities. Are you suggesting that as shareholders they should simply pocket all profits (as has been suggested was done in the old days?)

"How exactly does that stop Newcastle supporters appearing as wankers to outsiders by not being happy with a Board that funds it's managers to that extent?" Only the ignorant would suggest we are angry with Freddy for spending so heavily on players - we are angry that despite this investment we are still failing to reach achievable goals. We have seen a succession of managers who have failed to bring success - the media and outsiders would probably latch onto this fact as a flaw in our supporters, but those campaigning for Shepherd's removal feel that the malaise runs deeper than flawed players and managers, that something deeper is holding us back, and large sections of the Newcastle support group feel that "something" is the board, embodied by Mr. Fred Shepherd Esq

Guest thaitoon

what the hell has happened to this board, and what happened to the banning of anyone who"s abusive.

Howay lads we"ve got a massive problem at the club, direct your anger towards them not each other.

instead of bitching get something organised that spells out to the club we"re not happy, it will have an effect if its well planned, sustained, and well executed

Am I not right in recalling that the last occasion or two that Shepherd has found himself speaking about Eriksson, its been in a derogatory fashion? Essentially along the lines of "well, we all know he hasn't got a clue". I think one time was in relation to Parker not getting called up for England. I also remember thinking it sounded as though he'd been blown out following an approach prior to Roeder's appointment.

Sven is a better manger than Roader and it should be welcomed as a good sign. Beside he won trophies in all his past club teams. I use to rate him as equal as Wenger before he becomes England Manger. His teams in Italy use to play attractive football too. So he should be given a chance for me Roader is not a manger he is just a coach and with him in charge I am sure nothing will happen. I fear the worset if no one is acting now 10 games is an aweful a lots of games and we drop plenty of points already.

Guest The Fox

The fans have become so cynical no manager would satisfy them unless hero Alan Shearer took up the managerial reigns — a prospect not seen as likely in the near future.

Clueless toss.

Ever stopped to wonder at the impression created outside the area by these wankers going on about sacking a Board that's pumped somewhere close to £200m into buying players?

:lol:

Good one, ace.

£200 million, no success and some crappy buys.

Yes you can highly recommend the board on that basis.

There are of course top clubs who would have spent that money wisely.

Your defence of the board becomes more comical day by day. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

£200 million, no success and some crappy buys.

Yes you can highly recommend the board on that basis.

There are of course top clubs who would have spent that money wisely.

Your defence of the board becomes more comical day by day. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Peter Ridsdale was a top, top chairman, tbh :lol: backed his managers with money didn't he?

Guest Gemmill

I honestly thought HTL had more about him than to point to the money spent on players and say "you'd have to be a wanker to want to get rid of that board!".  Disappointing.

Just to complete the circus feel, get the clown prince in as manager. Could anyone stomach watching how Englands galacticos played in the end?

Guest Gemmill

Just to complete the circus feel, get the clown prince in as manager. Could anyone stomach watching how Englands galacticos played in the end?

As much as I don't think Sven is a great motivator, I think he's got a good vision of how a club should be set up for success.  More so than the current incumbent and a lot of the alternatives out there.  I think we'd have a much more professional set-up from top to bottom with Sven in charge, and we'd have a much greater chance of attracting decent players/coaches to the club as well.

Being better than Glenn doesn't make him Fergie. This is the press' wet dream, we'd be totally under siege with them praying for failure on a massive scale. They're already waiting for us to 'do a Leeds', if they get to take Sven down again too........

He did nothing with England that would give me confidence in him turning things around for us but he does have a very good club record.

A better option than we have now but can we cope with another media circus. Sven and Freddy are a match made.

Whilst he didn't actually win anything with England (and many would agree we are overhyped anyway), his record overall was outstanding. Let's see how well McClaren does, after the Mail et al assured us an Englishman could do better.

I'm not sure with Sven, he's got a great record at club management but as others have mentioned, he'd be bringing his own circus to circusville. Also, we'd have all the 'Beckham to Toon' bollocks.

I'd rather we saw Shepherd out rather than fatty make another 'big name' appointment to try and satisfy us.

The bit about only wanting Shearer is laughable, though Shepherd himself does little to stop this myth.

Wikipedia

Eriksson became first a coach, and then manager of Degerfors IF, taking the side from the Third Division to the First Division in three years.

His success with Degerfors attracted the attention of much larger clubs, and Eriksson joined IFK Göteborg in 1979. He won the Swedish Cup in his first season, and a "treble" of League, Cup and UEFA Cup (Göteborg beating Hamburger SV 4-0) in 1982.

Eriksson's European success led to him being head-hunted by Portuguese club SL Benfica, and he had a similarly quick impact there, Benfica winning the Portuguese Championship and finishing runners-up in the UEFA Cup. After a second Championship the following year, Eriksson moved on to Italy, becoming boss of AS Roma. He was not as immediately successful at Roma as he had been before, but he still won a Coppa Italia in 1986.

After a trophyless two years at Fiorentina, Eriksson moved back to Benfica for a second stint in 1989, where he led the team to the final of the European Cup (losing to AC Milan 1-0) in 1990, and another League title in 1991. In 1992 Eriksson returned to Italy to try his luck again, with Sampdoria, but he only managed another Coppa Italia in 1994.

Eriksson finally found major success in Italy when he joined Lazio in 1997 (after controversially reneging on a deal to join English club Blackburn Rovers); with Lazio he won the Coppa Italia in 1998 and 2000, the European Cup Winners' Cup (1999 - the very last tournament), and the Serie A title (the Scudetto) in 2000 — only the second time that the Roman club had won the Italian championship in their history.

Despite encountering no small amount of criticism during his time as England manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson's time in the post was notable for the following reasons [1]:

* 67 matches spanning over 5 years with only 5 competitive losses (3 inside 90 mins). This record is only beaten by Sir Alf Ramsey and Glenn Hoddle, excluding Caretaker managers.

* He never lost a competitive match by more than 1 goal.

* He is the only England manager in post for 3 or more major tournaments not to fail to qualify for any (each time qualifying without the need for playoffs). Of course, both the European Championships and World Cup now admit twice as many teams as they once did, making the job of qualifying approximately half as difficult for European countries.

* He took England to their first European Championship quarter-finals on foreign soil since 1972 - their third ever.

* The 5-1 defeat of Germany on September 1st 2001, will probably rank as Sven's most significant single game in charge, as well as his point of highest popularity. It remains Germany's largest competitive home defeat and the best England result against probably their biggest rival. England had never previously beaten Germany in a competitive match in Germany and had not beaten them at all in the World Cup competition since 1966. Following the defeat, the host of popular sports comedy quiz They Think It's All Over unveiled an icon-style picture of Sven, comicly depicting him as a saint-like figure.

* England were ranked as a top ten team by FIFA for the vast majority of Sven's time as manager, and they improved to 5th after the 2006 World Cup. Between 1975 and 2000 they were rarely in the top ten and often fell below 20.

* England earned the second seed of the 2006 World Cup, ahead of all other European teams and only behind top-ranked Brazil.

Whilst he didn't actually win anything with England (and many would agree we are overhyped anyway), his record overall was outstanding. Let's see how well McClaren does, after the Mail et al assured us an Englishman could do better.

I'm not sure with Sven, he's got a great record at club management but as others have mentioned, he'd be bringing his own circus to circusville. Also, we'd have all the 'Beckham to Toon' bollocks.

I'd rather we saw Shepherd out rather than fatty make another 'big name' appointment to try and satisfy us.

The bit about only wanting Shearer is laughable, though Shepherd himself does little to stop this myth.

Good post, Even thou i have been very critical of Sven in the past (When he was at England) his club record is impressive.

No "big" manager will ever come here as long as Fat Fred is our manager.  Because they are low paid here. Cant choose their own team, because FF wants "big" name signings to make the fans satisfied. While the manager needs a striker, fat fred goes out and buy a winger.  Who would ever come working for him?  SBR did, because he was a NUFC Fan, and he love our club.  If we ever are going to achieve big things, we need to sack Fat Fred, and the board. We need to find ourself a good manager, and let him choose his own coaching staff. We need a revolution in the way we are doing our buisness, because this Fat bastard doesnt know much about running a football club.

Freddy Sheperd and the board out, Its time for a revolution at our club.

I really don't want hi mnaywhere near this club but the story is crap anyway,  this is from a friend of his and not Sven, also where in the quotes does it mention us? pure speculation on the club he wants..

“Sven is determined to take a job which will give him the challenge of taking a club back to the top.

“The prospect of an English club would be very appealing as he feels he has something to prove to people in this country.”

Guest ChickenKiev

No "big" manager will ever come here as long as Fat Fred is our manager.  Because they are low paid here. Cant choose their own team, because FF wants "big" name signings to make the fans satisfied. While the manager needs a striker, fat fred goes out and buy a winger.  Who would ever come working for him?  SBR did, because he was a NUFC Fan, and he love our club.  If we ever are going to achieve big things, we need to sack Fat Fred, and the board. We need to find ourself a good manager, and let him choose his own coaching staff. We need a revolution in the way we are doing our buisness, because this Fat bastard doesnt know much about running a football club.

Freddy Sheperd and the board out, Its time for a revolution at our club.

Never heard so much made up nonsense in my life!

I'd much rather have Roeder and a new Chairman, than Freddie and a new manager.

As for Sven - my worry with that kind of senior figure is whether they really have the motivation. Sir Bob did, but he was an exception. You wonder whether, at the first sign of the shit flying around, they're going to think, I've been through this before and proved my worth, why should I have to take it all again?

There's something to be said for a manager who's career is still on the rise.