Trouble in Level 7 today?

Guest michaelfoster

There's just as many thugs on the doors nowadays tbf, it's just as you get older you recognise them more and you gain a knowledge for what bars they will be on.

I think it's a little unfair when it's likely that lads and lasses who disagree with sitting will now begin to be rejected entry to bars basically because the same bouncers are working the stands on a match day. Not that this has definately happened that I know of but I can certaintly see it happening.

There was never a problem last season or the season before when 2 blocks stood in Level 7 of the Leazes....or when we have stood in "The Corner" on cup and friendly matches. So to say it is just because people are standing now and not sitting is a little bit rash.

No-one is saying people are wrong for stating the rules, we all know the rules, but like previously mentioned people don't agree with them therefore they stand in protest. If people don't like standing they will most likely tell the person in front or behind and i'm sure the majority will at least move to let them see past. I know I have done and will continue to do that.

People just want to be able to have the choice, and stand as a protest to being told to sit, perfect example is just last weekend...when say 1,500 were standing there was no problems or anything people just backed the team. Then one bouncer stupidly got stuck into someone causing a mini uproar, then the stewards lined up with the bouncers either side, and as soon as that happened an extra 3,000 rose to their feet. If people were so irritated and annoyed by people standing then surely they wouldn't rise to their defence immediately.

I am certain 99% of those who attend matches regularly would all agree that people should be able to choose and not be forced to remain seated all game.

By the way I completely agree with someones post earlier when one of you claimed that crowds are self policed. I know by personal experience that when I used to sit in the middle tier of the Leazes I would stand and shout and ball for at least 20minutes of a game (if all added up) and when told to sit down and stop blocking peoples view everyone in my block who were sitted would tell the stewards to fuck off because I was supporting the team and I actually respected that people were sitting so I sat as much as I felt I could without enjoying myself.

I moved to the singing section with the view that standing and singing came hand in hand and by going up there I was with like-minded supporters, and I was right, the only time there has been problems is when heavy handed stewarding and policing has came into play.

There is a very small minority of people who would actually go up there for trouble, I would say 99.9% go up there to lose their voice supporting a team they love. (not saying people don't sing in other parts of the ground but they certaintly don't sing as much as everyone up there).

Guest toonlass

Anyway, before the change over most of the stewards were ok, would have a banter with the fans and so on, with just a couple thinking they were something special. Now they are all walking around as if they have a point to prove and its not nice.

Your not the sharpest that is why have not been arsed to reply to your other post, BUT most parts of the grounds have not noticed the change & still have the same stewards in there areas. Now jog on have a think why large men are having to try sort order out L7 corner, there is no need to reply just be happy that you have figured it out for yourself.

I beg your pardon? Is there any need to resort to petty jibes? The reason large men are now patrolling the L7 corner is because the stewarding has been outsourced to a company that provides the city's bouncers, and the same staff are now being used in the football ground. I haven't seen any trouble in the Level 7 corner since it was set up, nothing that requires bouncers to be there Thespence. So instead of being insulting why don't you go to the Laing Art Gallery on Sunday. It will save you having to endure the thuggish, loutish behaviour of the rest of us who enjoy going to the football and having a bit of an atmosphere going rather than sitting in absolute silence.

No other part of ground is having any bother, all the stewards who have worked certain parts of the ground for god knows how many years ARE STILL IN THERE USUAL PALCE.  SJP didn't have any of this problem last year with home fans standing it does now because people will not doing as they are requested to sit down. The same blokes work the Northumberland Plate at racecouse they tell people you cant take pints in a glass  on to the grass & people RESPECT what they say, nobody steams on to the grass "IT IS SAFE, I WILL PUT IT IN THE BIN!!!"  They are not bouncers when they are working at SJP they stewards.

I dont need to go to the Laing tbf I have mastered how to sing sitting down, it is not hard. I could also sing in the Gallowgate in the 80's when people were able to stand at games, that wasn't hard either.

Tbf it is the best door firm in Newcastle/North East it is why every large pub/club organsation uses them & Northumbria Police praise them as they have ended the era of local thugs running most of the doors.

They may well have ended the thuggish behaviour at bars, but the steward who launched himself into the lad on Sunday was the most violent person I have seen in a football crowd in a long time. You obviously have a distinct dislike for the people who sit up in the leazes level 7, whether they sit or stand. Why that is, only you know.

Anyway, before the change over most of the stewards were ok, would have a banter with the fans and so on, with just a couple thinking they were something special. Now they are all walking around as if they have a point to prove and its not nice.

Your not the sharpest that is why have not been arsed to reply to your other post, BUT most parts of the grounds have not noticed the change & still have the same stewards in there areas. Now jog on have a think why large men are having to try sort order out L7 corner, there is no need to reply just be happy that you have figured it out for yourself.

I beg your pardon? Is there any need to resort to petty jibes? The reason large men are now patrolling the L7 corner is because the stewarding has been outsourced to a company that provides the city's bouncers, and the same staff are now being used in the football ground. I haven't seen any trouble in the Level 7 corner since it was set up, nothing that requires bouncers to be there Thespence. So instead of being insulting why don't you go to the Laing Art Gallery on Sunday. It will save you having to endure the thuggish, loutish behaviour of the rest of us who enjoy going to the football and having a bit of an atmosphere going rather than sitting in absolute silence.

No other part of ground is having any bother, all the stewards who have worked certain parts of the ground for god knows how many years ARE STILL IN THERE USUAL PALCE.  SJP didn't have any of this problem last year with home fans standing it does now because people will not doing as they are requested to sit down. The same blokes work the Northumberland Plate at racecouse they tell people you cant take pints in a glass  on to the grass & people RESPECT what they say, nobody steams on to the grass "IT IS SAFE, I WILL PUT IT IN THE BIN!!!"  They are not bouncers when they are working at SJP they stewards.

I dont need to go to the Laing tbf I have mastered how to sing sitting down, it is not hard. I could also sing in the Gallowgate in the 80's when people were able to stand at games, that wasn't hard either.

Tbf it is the best door firm in Newcastle/North East it is why every large pub/club organsation uses them & Northumbria Police praise them as they have ended the era of local thugs running most of the doors.

They may well have ended the thuggish behaviour at bars, but the steward who launched himself into the lad on Sunday was the most violent person I have seen in a football crowd in a long time. You obviously have a distinct dislike for the people who sit up in the leazes level 7, whether they sit or stand. Why that is, only you know.

You keep going on about that bloke, but I don't see anyone defending him.  :dontknow:

Guest toonlass

You keep going on about that bloke, but I don't see anyone defending him.  :dontknow:

People keep going on about how thuggish level 7 is without justification. Its a stereotypical view that is held by snobs in other areas of the ground. People in level 7 are not second class Newcastle supporters.

People keep going on about how thuggish level 7 is without justification. Its a stereotypical view that is held by snobs in other areas of the ground. People in level 7 are not second class Newcastle supporters.

You haven't commented on what I said though :dontknow:

It's been well documented in the past the above average amount of trouble the people who now sit up there seem to manage to get into.  That's not to say everyone should be tarred with the same brush, but you deny they seem to attract troublemakers.

It's been well documented in the past the above average amount of trouble the people who now sit up there seem to manage to get into.  That's not to say everyone should be tarred with the same brush, but you deny they seem to attract troublemakers.

Ive sat there at nearly every game, and there hasnt been any trouble. Standing up isnt 'trouble'. Im glad not all our supporters are like you and Thespence or it would be pretty boring on match day. Might as well be watching the snooker.

Ive sat there at nearly every game, and there hasnt been any trouble. Standing up isnt 'trouble'. Im glad not all our supporters are like you and Thespence or it would be pretty boring on match day. Might as well be watching the snooker.

Eh?

EDIT: And while we're on, if "there hasn't been any trouble" what's this thread for?

Eh?

Moaning about rules and slavering on about the law all of the time. You also seem to confuse people enjoying themselves with troublemaking. You also like to label sections of our support and come across as pretty snobby.

Its also an offence to be intoxicated in a football ground, but clubs turn a blind eye to this. Suppose they sell drink though, so breaking the rules is alright if it makes them a profit. Its a nonsence rule which can never be policed, just like the nonsence rule about folk standing up. Its a rule with no justification so people will ignore it.

edit; there is trouble, because the stewards cause the trouble. As far as I can see, the only punch thrown by anyone in Level 7 this season has been from a steward.

Eh?

Moaning about rules and slavering on about the law all of the time. You also seem to confuse people enjoying themselves with troublemaking. You also like to label sections of our support and come across as pretty snobby.

Its also an offence to be intoxicated in a football ground, but clubs turn a blind eye to this. Suppose they sell drink though, so breaking the rules is alright if it makes them a profit. Its a nonsence rule which can never be policed, just like the nonsence rule about folk standing up. Its a rule with no justification so people will ignore it.

edit; there is trouble, because the stewards cause the trouble. As far as I can see, the only punch thrown by anyone in Level 7 this season has been from a steward.

Honestly man, that bit in bold. :lol:

I haven't labelled anyone, I haven't moaned about the rules, I haven't slavered on about the law, and I haven't said people shouldn't enjoy themselves, just that they should do it within the conditions of the season tickets they bought, like most other areas of the ground seem to.

Oh and its 'nonsense' not 'nonsence' O0

Guest toonlass

To answer your comment. The thing is though, I have not seen this "supposed" trouble up in Level 7 that you refer to. I have seen people in the lower leazes hitting each other, I have seen two people in the Gallowgate come to blows arguing. Before sunday I had never seen a steward hit a fan (found the video coverage of it on my mobile phone last night). If it is well documented, and not just hearsay, then come up with some citationable proof that people in Level 7 get into more trouble than anywhere else in the ground. Heavy handed tactics of officials at any event will cause trouble. The majority of the fans in level 7, just like the majority of the fans in all the other areas of the ground, are not trouble makers but fans wanting to watch the football without having to witness violence, whether its between fellow fans or fans and officials.

Guest Geordiesned

Sorry if already posted in this thread. This is from the NUSC website:

Stewards in SJP

A number of fans have contacted us about the change in stewarding within the Leazes Corner over the last 2 home games (Stoke and Tottenham) and the subsequent change in behaviour this has brought with it.

While the NUSC does not condone rule breaking within the ground we also feel it is only right that the fans of Newcastle United are afforded the respect and dignity they deserve as paying customers of the club and that the stewards therefore observe these same rules and regulations when dealing with the fans in question.

With this in mind we would like to hear about your experiences with stewarding either in the Leazes Corner or any other area of St James' Park. If you have a particular experience with the stewards, be it good or bad, please contact us at [email protected] and provide us with the details.

We would particularly like to hear from anyone in the immediate vicinity of the incident that occured in the Leazes Corner in the first half of The Spurs game.

Guest toonlass

Anyone contacted the club or the company involved in?

Yup me, spoke to the club on monday. Am emailing the police to see if they would like to view the video of the whole incident that I have on my mobile too.

Guest Heneage

Yup me, spoke to the club on monday. Am emailing the police to see if they would like to view the video of the whole incident that I have on my mobile too.

I'd be mightily surprised if they take it any further.

To contribute from the side of the steward;

We get given rules, "The Ground Regulations" They are on the back of your ticket. We get told to follow them, we don't always agree with them, but then find me a Police Officer that agrees with every rule he enforces. As much as we would like to sit and argue the toss of "Why you can't stand." A lot of us don't have the time, nor care really, we are there to maintain safety at the ground that's it, we do the job for the bit of money and chance to watch the football really.

Yes some of our work-mates are idiots, who clearly put too much steroid in their corn flakes this morning and are too quick to anger. But my advice is treat the stewards as if they were Police Officers, Please, Thank You, Three bags full. Now I'm not saying we are like Police Officers nor deserve the respect, but if you don't give the black sheep in the herd a reason to get physical then they can't.

But the whole thing is a two sided affair, while I don't argue that the majority of you on here are good polite fans who cause no trouble and just want to stand at the football, there are absolute bell-ends that you wish had just remained stains on their Dad's jeans, who talk to you like a monkey and what everything explaining in great deal, and tell you they know the regulations when they don't. Now if you imagine you've been there since 12, around 2 o clock it picks up, and you have already put the same fan to his seat 3 times but because he's drunk he keeps wandering off and forgetting, you're going to be a bit tetchy.

Overall, common sense should be exercised on both sides.

Guest toonlass

We get given rules, "The Ground Regulations" They are on the back of your ticket. We get told to follow them, we don't always agree with them, but then find me a Police Officer that agrees with every rule he enforces. As much as we would like to sit and argue the toss of "Why you can't stand." A lot of us don't have the time, nor care really, we are there to maintain safety at the ground that's it, we do the job for the bit of money and chance to watch the football really.

Yes some of our work-mates are idiots, who clearly put too much steroid in their corn flakes this morning and are too quick to anger. But my advice is treat the stewards as if they were Police Officers, Please, Thank You, Three bags full. Now I'm not saying we are like Police Officers nor deserve the respect, but if you don't give the black sheep in the herd a reason to get physical then they can't.

But the whole thing is a two sided affair, while I don't argue that the majority of you on here are good polite fans who cause no trouble and just want to stand at the football, there are absolute bell-ends that you wish had just remained stains on their Dad's jeans, who talk to you like a monkey and what everything explaining in great deal, and tell you they know the regulations when they don't. Now if you imagine you've been there since 12, around 2 o clock it picks up, and you have already put the same fan to his seat 3 times but because he's drunk he keeps wandering off and forgetting, you're going to be a bit tetchy.

mackems.gif Why should we treat stewards like the police? These stewards are lowly paid people who think they are above the law because they have a day-glo jacket. They think because they have the power to get a policeman to eject you from the ground that they are someone special. If a steward was to ever tell me to sit down, I would but I don't respect them as a lot of them are jobsworths who treat fans like crap, they have little common sense and are generally obstructive, whether you are asking them advice or just trying to watch a game. The stewards should be there to help the fans enjoy the football match, and leave the policing job to the police.

Guest Heneage

mackems.gif Why should we treat stewards like the police? These stewards are lowly paid people who think they are above the law because they have a day-glo jacket. They think because they have the power to get a policeman to eject you from the ground that they are someone special. If a steward was to ever tell me to sit down, I would but I don't respect them as a lot of them are jobsworths who treat fans like crap, they have little common sense and are generally obstructive, whether you are asking them advice or just trying to watch a game. The stewards should be there to help the fans enjoy the football match, and leave the policing job to the police.

Read on just past that bit and tell me what it says.

Guest Heneage

No I don't, the point I make, is if you treat them like you would a Police Officer in terms of being polite etc, they then have no reason to clobber you or get physical.

Guest toonlass

No I don't, the point I make, is if you treat them like you would a Police Officer in terms of being polite etc, they then have no reason to clobber you or get physical.

If they treat the fans in the same way, polite and with respect then they could expect the same back. Baring a few exceptions, and there are some canny stewards, the majority of stewards I have experienced think they are something special and expect to be able to treat fans like crap and get away with it.

Sorry, but that is a load of shite. I sit in the row in front of the bloke who was assaulted at the Spurs match. I could hear what was being said and the bloke had asked why they didn't ask those in front to sit down first as he wouldn't be able to see. A very reasonable question and not impolite or agressive in any way. The steward (bouncer) then launched himself over about 4 seats and lamped him. The difference is a Police officer wouldn't have reacted like that so don't even try and suggest you should have the same respect.

As for bellends in L7, the biggest bellends I see are the stewards/bouncers. Are they just thick or do they decide to start telling people to sit down 12 rows back on purpose so that when people quite rightly say they can't see for the people standing in the rows in front, they can be thrown out? It must give them a power kick or something.

I am fully aware people shouldn't stand at the match and have no problem at all with people being told to sit down. It's the way it's being done that's wrong.

Guest toonlass

A copper from the football unit (or whatever its called) is going to phone me on monday to make arrangements to view the video of the incident. Hope the steward never works a game or door again after what happened at Spurs.

Guest toonlass

Funny how the meatheads were removed from the vacinity of the Leazes corner for today's match and there was not a bit of bother. Coincidence? I think not!