Trouble in Level 7 today?

Guest michaelfoster

ITs all part of safety really especially in Level 7 if you fall you take out those in front. I wish people would just accept it.

The problem though, is that people are allowed to stand in football stadia for other events, rugby, concerts etc. Football fans get treat like morons. I stand every day, and very rarely fall over, and cannot see why my risk of falling over increases dramatically when I am in a football stadium. It may surprise stewards, football stadium staff and city councils but loads of people find standing quite simple and risk free and some people can even walk whilst standing with a hardy few being able to jog and run too.

Good post. Ive been to games before where ive been told that I stand at my own risk, and the club can't be held responsible if I fall over. I accepted this and continued to stand. The most 'dangerous' time in a football ground is after a goal is scored when everyone is jumping up at the same time, and then jumping up and down most of the time. This happens all around the ground at every goal, so the safety issue of standing up at normal points of the game doesnt really wash with me. In Level 7 esspecially where there is loads of room.

What happens at Everton by the way? They seem to stand all game behind the goal and I never see any bother.

Oh yes, its so 'hilarious', so do you think people would come on here, read through the thread, and genuinly be laughing, because its so so 'hilarous' & 'comedy gold'?

The post was moronic at best.

How? People are just giving honest opinions & get responses like ' comedy gold  :lol: '  all cocky & snobby, whats the point?

So you condone a steward hitting a fan?

No, I'm saying you're trying to suggest that people think that is the case when clearly no one does, then saying other peoples' arguments are stupid & hilarious. :thup:

Oh yes, its so 'hilarious', so do you think people would come on here, read through the thread, and genuinly be laughing, because its so so 'hilarous' & 'comedy gold'?

You probably need to read back & see who called who hilarious. O0

Yeah, thats twice it was used, and whats the point? And like these responses to a thread with just simply ' :lol: ' . Whoever did anyway, cant remember who, What the point? Why not just talk normally and say what you agree/disagree with without coming accross snobby by doing that and giving cheap remarks about 'scummy' people in there etc?

You have to be taking the piss? :lol:

For what it's worth, I haven't called anyone scummy either. O0

Here we go, okay so I havent been talking normally have I not? When I say talk normally, I mean talking without that cocky/snobbish slant. I suppose Im still 'talking the piss  :lol: '

Aye I cant remember the name of who, but whoever did, whats the point in stereotyping people like that?

By talking normally I meant stringing coherent sentences together.

Aye wye, na Im not talking the piss, even though that, if you are looking to take the piss, it is ironic I said that considering my inability to write decent english. But like I said, I didnt say that on the basis of whether you can string coherent sentances together or not, even if you are rubbish at stringing coherent sentances together, like me, I'm on about giving an opinion & having a debate, not pointless cocky posts like 'oh comedy gold' & '  :lol: '

Guest toonlass

ITs all part of safety really especially in Level 7 if you fall you take out those in front. I wish people would just accept it.

The problem though, is that people are allowed to stand in football stadia for other events, rugby, concerts etc. Football fans get treat like morons. I stand every day, and very rarely fall over, and cannot see why my risk of falling over increases dramatically when I am in a football stadium. It may surprise stewards, football stadium staff and city councils but loads of people find standing quite simple and risk free and some people can even walk whilst standing with a hardy few being able to jog and run too.

Lets be honest overall football fans are the biggest dickheads in sport. I watch various other sport & in none of them is there segregation, look at the rumpus at SOL & outside St James Park last year.

That had nothing to do with fans standing during the game though and is isolated to a few morons. The couple of thousand who chanted at the Sunderland fans after the game are just a fraction of the 52,000 who were in the ground during the game, and the crap at the SOL was, in the main, caused by Sunderland fans throwing coins and lighters at the Newcastle fans, then invading the pitch and running towards the Newcastle fans, and a selection in the Newcastle end who only ever seem to come out for the derby game and who are looking for trouble, as I can't say I ever see them at other away games. The standing issue comes as a backlash from the tragedy that was Hillsborough, and we all know that it wasn't the issue of standing that was the problem, but imcompetence on the behalf of the police in Yorkshire. Standing in a modern day stadium, with a seat infront and behind you is definitely a lot safer than standing on a crumbling concrete terrace in the 70's and 80's.

That's the crux of it though, isn't it? These lads who want to stand are having a pop at the club as if they actually have a choice in the matter.

They'd be better off lobbying their MP's if they want the Taylor Report overturned rather than having a pop at stewards. Either way it's not going to happen and they're going to have to comply with the conditions imposed or face hassle every game. 

That's the crux of it though, isn't it? These lads who want to stand are having a pop at the club as if they actually have a choice in the matter.

They'd be better off lobbying their MP's if they want the Taylor Report overturned rather than having a pop at stewards. Either way it's not going to happen and they're going to have to comply with the conditions imposed or face hassle every game. 

here here  :clap:

Which I'd agree with if standards were the same throughout the club but they are not. Some allow standing and don't say a word others go crazy and through people out or bring police over straight away even before asking the person to sit down.

I'm not familiar about the consistency of the stewards around the ground tbh. As Chez has already said, it's about controlling the crowd and I'm not surprised the stewards go a bit OTT up on Level 7. (Doesn't excuse it btw, no excuse for wading in and hitting fans - that's bang out of order.) If the stewards lost control up on Level 7 then the chances of widespread violence would be high. The away fans are only a few blocks away and it's there where the stewards need to be 100% in control of things.  :undecided:

I'm not familiar about the consistency of the stewards around the ground tbh. As Chez has already said, it's about controlling the crowd and I'm not surprised the stewards go a bit OTT up on Level 7. (Doesn't excuse it btw, no excuse for wading in and hitting fans - that's bang out of order.) If the stewards lost control up on Level 7 then the chances of widespread violence would be high. The away fans are only a few blocks away and it's there where the stewards need to be 100% in control of things.  :undecided:

What a ridiculous statement. You're basically assuming that football fans are constantly on the verge of becoming an angry, violent mob and that not just our fans, but all football fans are desperate for a pagger and need to be 'controlled' for fear of just losing it and having a barney.

The stewards have already lost control by acting like a bunch of thickhead wankers. All they need to do is be seen. They don't need to shout at, berate or attack fans for the heinous non-crime of standing. As the old saying goes, treat people like animals and they'll act like animals. If the stewards keep up this level of provocation then there will be fights, arguments and arrests.

What a ridiculous statement. You're basically assuming that football fans are constantly on the verge of becoming an angry, violent mob and that not just our fans, but all football fans are desperate for a pagger and need to be 'controlled' for fear of just losing it and having a barney.

The stewards have already lost control by acting like a bunch of thickhead wankers. All they need to do is be seen. They don't need to shout at, berate or attack fans for the heinous non-crime of standing. As the old saying goes, treat people like animals and they'll act like animals. If the stewards keep up this level of provocation then there will be fights, arguments and arrests.

That's not what I meant.

I suggested that the area of the ground with the highest potential for major bother is Level 7 because of the proximity of the away fans. That could be why the stewards go OTT. That's all.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was told off for hopping rows to get out of L7 on sunday, the bairn because he is only small was using chairs to rest his landing foot on before hopping onto the rows, and he was told off too, by some skinny scrawny spotty kid himself. We hopped rows because there was and often is a mad rush on the stairs and I've actually seen kids fall over and even people. We did the right thing to escape the rush, we were hopping empty rows and causing no bother to anyone or harm to ourselves. Little hitler bastards. I hate the patronising safety angle officials take "its for your own good sir", fuck right off and die, that would be for all our own good. Tossers.

That's not what I meant.

I suggested that the area of the ground with the highest potential for major bother is Level 7 because of the proximity of the away fans. That could be why the stewards go OTT. That's all.

They don't need to go OTT. As long as the area between the block of away fans and home fans is properly policed, which it is, then there'll be no trouble. Before the bouncers were hired I can't remember L7 being a haven for violence and debauchery so there is no need for these heavy handed tactics employed by the mack wearing arseholes. All it'll do is have the opposite effect as proven by the fact we're talking about it now.

The stewards aren't hired muscle who can throw their weight around when they see something they don't like. That's the job of the Rozzers.

Guest Howaythetoon

Managing a lot of fans is piss easy, let them be. Some will sit, some will stand, some will sing, some wont.  Fans by and large regulate themselves. Stewards should be there to assist fans and that's that, with seating information, and other info. The cameras scan the crowd for troublemakers and fans themselves wont tolerate troublemakers so stewards and police will be notified of trouble. They should stay in the background.

That's not what I meant.

They don't need to go OTT. As long as the area between the block of away fans and home fans is properly policed, which it is, then there'll be no trouble. Before the bouncers were hired I can't remember L7 being a haven for violence and debauchery so there is no need for these heavy handed tactics employed by the mack wearing arseholes. All it'll do is have the opposite effect as proven by the fact we're talking about it now.

The stewards aren't hired muscle who can throw their weight around when they see something they don't like. That's the job of the Rozzers.

I'd agree with all of that.  :thup:

However, prolonged standing up there gives the stewards a reason to intervene in the first place. If the whole of Level 7 sat down for the majority of the game then I reckon there would be less confrontations. I might be wrong.  ???   

That's not what I meant.

However, prolonged standing up there gives the stewards a reason to intervene in the first place. If the whole of Level 7 sat down for the majority of the game then I reckon there would be less confrontations. I might be wrong.  ???   

But that then brings up another question - why is standing such a bloody issue?

Yes, we all know about Hillsborough but that was less to do with standing and more to do with cackhanded policing and Liverpool fans who didn't have tickets. Standing simply is not dangerous and it's something which football fans will continue to do because it's natural and preferable to having your arse numbed by those plastic monstrosities at grounds nowadays.

I prefer to stand at SJP's as I resent the battering my shins take from the edge of the seat in front. Okay, if there is a kid behind me i'll try to limit the amount of time I stand for during the game but before and at half time i'll stand almost constantly and yet i've never had a steward ask me to sit down. Is there something special about standing when the game is in play? Is that when it's only dangerous?

That's not what I meant.

But that then brings up another question - why is standing such a bloody issue?

Yes, we all know about Hillsborough but that was less to do with standing and more to do with cackhanded policing and Liverpool fans who didn't have tickets. Standing simply is not dangerous and it's something which football fans will continue to do because it's natural and preferable to having your arse numbed by those plastic monstrosities at grounds nowadays.

I prefer to stand at SJP's as I resent the battering my shins take from the edge of the seat in front. Okay, if there is a kid behind me i'll try to limit the amount of time I stand for during the game but before and at half time i'll stand almost constantly and yet i've never had a steward ask me to sit down. Is there something special about standing when the game is in play? Is that when it's only dangerous?

Again, I agree with every word.  :thup:

I've often said on here that I'd welcome safe standing areas in our ground but sadly, I can't see it happening. The two issues about the stewarding and the standing are entwined with each other and you can't look at one without considering the other. Not sure what the answer is but there's obviously a problem and it needs sorting.

This is one of those age old arguments, that will, unfortunately, go on until we introduce 'safe standing' areas like they have in Germany etc. 

I will continue to stand and support my team irrespective of the current FA/Local Authorities regulations unless I'm asked to do so by a Steward politely and with respect. 

If I then ask the question on why I'm being specifically targeted and no one else around me has been asked,  I then don’t expect to be ‘twatted’ in the face or escorted out of the ground.

I personally don’t see why people are 'arguing' against the lads in Level 7 enjoying the football, enjoying chanting and the general banter.  Yes we understand the rules.  But on the other hand, if you venture up there and fancy a change from the rest of the ground, enjoy a losing your voice every other week and have a good laugh whilst doing so, you will see why we'd quite happily rather stand. 

As mentioned in a previous post, there HAS to be another way we can resolve this.  Allot has changed since the old days where crowd crushes and surges were common place (albeit not on the scale of miss-policing of the Hillsborough disaster) and it really needs to be reviewed.

Guest toonlass

God help us all up in Level 7 when Sunderland come to town in February. If there is trouble from the stewards when Spurs are here and no-one is causing any aggro what the hell is going to happen when the mackems come and they have to try and stop them lot from invading areas that they are not supposed to. Can see real trouble happening then. Anyway, before the change over most of the stewards were ok, would have a banter with the fans and so on, with just a couple thinking they were something special. Now they are all walking around as if they have a point to prove and its not nice.

Anyway, before the change over most of the stewards were ok, would have a banter with the fans and so on, with just a couple thinking they were something special. Now they are all walking around as if they have a point to prove and its not nice.

Your not the sharpest that is why have not been arsed to reply to your other post, BUT most parts of the grounds have not noticed the change & still have the same stewards in there areas. Now jog on have a think why large men are having to try sort order out L7 corner, there is no need to reply just be happy that you have figured it out for yourself.

Guest toonlass

Anyway, before the change over most of the stewards were ok, would have a banter with the fans and so on, with just a couple thinking they were something special. Now they are all walking around as if they have a point to prove and its not nice.

Your not the sharpest that is why have not been arsed to reply to your other post, BUT most parts of the grounds have not noticed the change & still have the same stewards in there areas. Now jog on have a think why large men are having to try sort order out L7 corner, there is no need to reply just be happy that you have figured it out for yourself.

I beg your pardon? Is there any need to resort to petty jibes? The reason large men are now patrolling the L7 corner is because the stewarding has been outsourced to a company that provides the city's bouncers, and the same staff are now being used in the football ground. I haven't seen any trouble in the Level 7 corner since it was set up, nothing that requires bouncers to be there Thespence. So instead of being insulting why don't you go to the Laing Art Gallery on Sunday. It will save you having to endure the thuggish, loutish behaviour of the rest of us who enjoy going to the football and having a bit of an atmosphere going rather than sitting in absolute silence. Saying that, there might be people standing to look at the pictures and exhibitions so you might want to keep away.

I beg your pardon? Is there any need to resort to petty jibes? The reason large men are now patrolling the L7 corner is because the stewarding has been outsourced to a company that provides the city's bouncers, and the same staff are now being used in the football ground. I haven't seen any trouble in the Level 7 corner since it was set up, nothing that requires bouncers to be there Thespence. So instead of being insulting why don't you go to the Laing Art Gallery on Sunday. It will save you having to endure the thuggish, loutish behaviour of the rest of us who enjoy going to the football and having a bit of an atmosphere going rather than sitting in absolute silence.

No other part of ground is having any bother, all the stewards who have worked certain parts of the ground for god knows how many years ARE STILL IN THERE USUAL PALCE.  SJP didn't have any of this problem last year with home fans standing it does now because people will not doing as they are requested to sit down. The same blokes work the Northumberland Plate at racecouse they tell people you cant take pints in a glass  on to the grass & people RESPECT what they say, nobody steams on to the grass "IT IS SAFE, I WILL PUT IT IN THE BIN!!!"  They are not bouncers when they are working at SJP they stewards.

I dont need to go to the Laing tbf I have mastered how to sing sitting down, it is not hard. I could also sing in the Gallowgate in the 80's when people were able to stand at games, that wasn't hard either.

Tbf it is the best door firm in Newcastle/North East it is why every large pub/club organsation uses them & Northumbria Police praise them as they have ended the era of local thugs running most of the doors.

No, the problem is that people know they aren't allowed to stand at football matches, yet they insist on doing so.