Owen & Martins

Nobody

Overall it's working well because Martins is constantly going out wide and causing havoc with his dribbling ability/agility + two footedness + pace. His crossing has been suprisingly good too, he'll always be inconsistent but at least for every bad cross or two he puts in he's very capable of putting in a dangerous one.

And as we all know, Owen's movement off the ball is amongst the best in the business, so when Martins is pegging defences back into the penalty box it increases the chances of Owen getting on the end of something.

So far it looks like a strong partnership away from home as its shown itself to be mobile and difficult to contain. Defenders ethier have to worry about Owen's movement on top of worrying about Maritns either attacking down the flank or picking the ball up in between their defence/midfield and having a whack at goal, or if Owen drops deep, he'll link with midfield and ghost his way into the box late whilst the defenders now have to worry about Martins' pace getting in behind the central defenders.

i'd erather martins didn't go so wide so much and just worked the channels

I think he just goes where the space is, and to be fair, if he's making goals from out wide I don't mind.

he'd create more staying more central but not very central.

You mean like his run across the box when Owen scored?

exactly in a way. he moved cleverly,he normally doesn't

If he's creating, scoring or facilitating goals I will put up with his faults I guess.

me too. i just think he's wasting himself. he has the talent,pace and power to be a top forward....lacks nouse.

I agree. He's no David Villa that's for sure.

One thing i notice is that Martins takes too many touches when he dribbles, always dabbing at the ball which slows him down, there was a few times when he ought toof got away fromthe defenders but becasue of his techniqu he caouldnt. Seen it in many of his games to be honest, i havent seen him getaway from a players as cleanly as the likes of Zog or Jonas do.

Guest Goalfather

One thing i notice is that Martins takes too many touches when he dribbles, always dabbing at the ball which slows him down, there was a few times when he ought toof got away fromthe defenders but becasue of his techniqu he caouldnt. Seen it in many of his games to be honest, i havent seen him getaway from a players as cleanly as the likes of Zog or Jonas do.

:rolleyes: Sigh

In fact, this game basically confirmed to me how totally f***ed Portsmouth are when Defoe and Crouch have off days.

True, but you can say that about anyones key players, e.g. Martins and Jonas both playing s**t. At least for teams outside the Top 4

:rolleyes: Sigh

What? Am i wrong?

Guest sittingontheball

It was very nearly goal of the season from Martins first half. When he's good, he can do it all by himself. Martins' goal against Wigan is my favourite Toon goal so far this year. When he catches them, they really fly.

A lot of credit for this success so far has to go to Jonas - he's basically the man Given always aims for with his goal kicks/clearances as he's our only midfielder with any real height and ability to successfully challange in the air. Bet when he first signed he didn't think he'd be used as a type of target man!  :iamatwat: