Newcastle United Finances - 2008 Accounts Recently Filed

quayside

Guest fading star

How does anyone know how much Ashley can and can't afford to spend on the club?  There seem to be a lot of his personal bankers on this thread.

It seems to me a lot of people defend Ashley because he's not the Shepherd/Halls evil axis.  Which will be a comfort if we find ourselves in the Championship this season, or the season after.

That is just as valid a comment for those who thinks he's got plenty to spend.

I think having a debate about a strategy over 4 or 5 years if he is committed to staying is one thing. What worries people like me, FS and a couple of others is that there seems an unwillingness from his pov to address this window/season and for those who seem to defend him in this thread to think about the here and now.

How much he was willing to spend last summer or next summer are worthwhile topics imo - I think asking for funds for emergency plumbing for a f*** off hole in the living room ceiling shouldn't attract too much criticism.

Personally I don’t care if he has to sell his house to buy a new left back. It was his decision to take on all the responsibility that comes with running a football club. I’m not interested in his sob stories, or how many times he’s seen Maradona play.

The supporters and the team are the most important parts of any football club. Mr Ashley is neglecting both.

How does anyone know how much Ashley can and can't afford to spend on the club?  There seem to be a lot of his personal bankers on this thread.

It seems to me a lot of people defend Ashley because he's not the Shepherd/Halls evil axis.  Which will be a comfort if we find ourselves in the Championship this season, or the season after.

I think having a debate about a strategy over 4 or 5 years if he is committed to staying is one thing. What worries people like me, FS and a couple of others is that there seems an unwillingness from his pov to address this window/season and for those who seem to defend him in this thread to think about the here and now.

How much he was willing to spend last summer or next summer are worthwhile topics imo - I think asking for funds for emergency plumbing for a f*** off hole in the living room ceiling shouldn't attract too much criticism.

Personally I don’t care if he has to sell his house to buy a new left back. It was his decision to take on all the responsibility that comes with running a football club. I’m not interested in his sob stories, or how many times he’s seen Maradona play.

The supporters and the team are the most important parts of any football club. Mr Ashley is neglecting both.

would you give all your money to nufc ?

Guest fading star

No, but if I only had a personal fortune of £800m I wouldn’t have bought them.

you'd rather have left it in freddies hands eh ? i wonder if he'd have been able to persuade earnst and young that he had enough to guarantee the business ?

What if your personal fortune was nearly £2bn?

"was" being very much the word.

I was going to pick up on this earlier when someone was asking how much Ashley should spend which I guess is what you're getting at.

There were certainly times a few years ago when I spent almost every spare penny I had following the team - with very little regret. I wouldn't do that now as other responsibilities and apathy have taken root over time but I can relate to the notion of making the club the most important thing in your life.

In a way what FS is saying is that for us as fans we think that an owner should be into the club mind, body and soul as that's what we'd like to think we'd do if it was us.

I know Ashley doesn't have £600m in the bank as people have taken the piss out of the lad in this thread for saying but I think there are a lot of us who if were "given" Ashley's wealth would see an almost total commitment to the club as a possibility. I know when I've daydreamed about winning the lottery I've never thought beyond £20m being needed to do all of the "mundane" stuff I want with a lot to spare so the notion of having hundreds of millions on paper seems pointless to me and I think I would consider it quite seriously.

Of course you could argue that possibly only Jack Walker has ever done this "full on" though there may be some lower/non-league people who've done it to a lesser degree.

I think one of the more instinctive things people have against Ashley (which I admit to) is the lack of connection with the club which makes talk of an emotional investment less likely. Of course you could argue that that's a good thing as an undeniable Newcastle fan has got us into this financial shit in the first place but I'd still be a lot happier with things if there was at least some kind of connection - I think that was why Ashley with Keegan in place seemed so appealing.

Guest fading star

The same as Ashley I would guess, he had £1.9 billion.

Hair splitting. You shouldn’t buy a football club without thinking things through properly.

I was going to pick up on this earlier when someone was asking how much Ashley should spend which I guess is what you're getting at.

There were certainly times a few years ago when I spent almost every spare penny I had following the team - with very little regret. I wouldn't do that now as other responsibilities and apathy have taken root over time but I can relate to the notion of making the club the most important thing in your life.

In a way what FS is saying is that for us as fans we think that an owner should be into the club mind, body and soul as that's what we'd like to think we'd do if it was us.

I know Ashley doesn't have £600m in the bank as people have taken the piss out of the lad in this thread for saying but I think there are a lot of us who if were "given" Ashley's wealth would see an almost total commitment to the club as a possibility. I know when I've daydreamed about winning the lottery I've never thought beyond £20m being needed to do all of the "mundane" stuff I want with a lot to spare so the notion of having hundreds of millions on paper seems pointless to me and I think I would consider it quite seriously.

Of course you could argue that possibly only Jack Walker has ever done this "full on" though there may be some lower/non-league people who've done it to a lesser degree.

I think one of the more instinctive things people have against Ashley (which I admit to) is the lack of connection with the club which makes talk of an emotional investment less likely. Of course you could argue that that's a good thing as an undeniable Newcastle fan has got us into this financial s*** in the first place but I'd still be a lot happier with things if there was at least some kind of connection - I think that was why Ashley with Keegan in place seemed so appealing.

Good post.   :clap:

"was" being very much the word.

and the "is" happened after the "was". he had 1.9bn, and bought us with that. you reckon he knew he would lose all that money, and still went ahead and purchased the club?

Hair splitting. You shouldn’t buy a football club without thinking things through properly.

He should of thought about the possbility of a global recession before purchasing a football club?  ???

No, but if I only had a personal fortune of £800m I wouldnt have bought them.

Hair splitting. You shouldnt buy a football club without thinking things through properly.

He should of thought about the possbility of a global recession before purchasing a football club?  ???

No he should have prevented it.

No he should have prevented it.

:lol:

Guest fading star

I think one of the more instinctive things people have against Ashley (which I admit to) is the lack of connection with the club which makes talk of an emotional investment less likely. Of course you could argue that that's a good thing as an undeniable Newcastle fan has got us into this financial s*** in the first place but I'd still be a lot happier with things if there was at least some kind of connection - I think that was why Ashley with Keegan in place seemed so appealing.

It’s just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashley’s wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely he’d have trouble getting his hands £25m I didn’t feel it was necessary.

Its just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashleys wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely hed have trouble getting his hands £25m I didnt feel it was necessary.

I dont think paying out £25m is the problem here mate, its how to spend that £25m thats the problem, it all ties in with the state of the club. He needs to bring something sustainable to the table and giving the manager £25m to spend inthe summer  just like that isnt sustainable. Its also ignoirng the fact that in 2 seasons he's actually already commited £110m to the club, of his own cash.

Wait till summer, you'll see the light.

Incidentally, after arguing all this, the important issue is not how much he spends but how much he imporves the squad. Thats all you need to concern yourself with.

It’s just a turn of phrase. A simpler way of summing up something more complex. I could have talked at length about the structure of Ashley’s wealth, but as it seemed highly unlikely he’d have trouble getting his hands £25m I didn’t feel it was necessary.

I agree.

I'd also point out for those taking the piss about his losses being a shock that his huge loss in HBOS shares was completely predictable.

Guest fading star

Yes, he should have done one of those SWOT things :lol: 

He coud have at least read the small print - shares prices can up and down…. and so can football clubs.

I agree.

I'd also point out for those taking the piss about his losses being a shock that his huge loss in HBOS shares was completely predictable.

Not if you didnt see the global recession coming.