U23s & Academy

Skirge

WESLEY Ngo Baheng and Brad Inman were on target for Newcastle United's reserves in their 3-1 win over FA Vase winners Whitley Bay tonight.

Inman struck twice and Baheng scored his second of pre-season to maintain Newcastle's winning start to the campaign at senior and reserve level, with the club having won all of its five warm-up fixtures.

However, United's second string were made to work hard for their success at Hillheads in front of a bumper 1,075 crowd.

Fraser Forster dived at Phil Bell's feet to stop what looked a certain goal in the 25th minute.

Three minutes later Newcastle took advantage when Inman, played in by Sammy Ameobi, cleverly found himself space in the box to open the scoring.

Bay goalkeeper Terry Burke denied Fabio Zamblera with a superb save in the 45th minute.

The striker was again frustrated early in the second half, when Craig McFarlane stopped a shot of his on the line with a goal-saving lunge.

But United's second wasn't long in coming, with Ngo Baheng striding upfield before rolling the ball past Burke with his left foot.

Lee Kerr pulled a goal back for Whitley in the 73rd minute, seizing on a rebound from his own shot, with substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul unable to stop his effort rolling across the line.

Inman scored the visitors' third in the 90th minute.

Baheng's goal was a peach. Skinned two players and placed it beyond the keeper. Inman looked really impressive also, even without his two goals.

Forster was unworked but good on crosses, Donaldson was a monster in midfield, Tozer was good barring one shite backpass that the keeper had to save from, Lough was quite good and Lee Kerr's goal: although it was a screamer, Krul's save was shite :lol:

Oh, and Sammi Ameobi eyeballed the keeper one on one and promptly hit it straight into his legs. As my mate said it's in his blood :thup:

Excellent turnout for a friendly on a Wednesday night anarl, around 6 or 7 hundred.

Oh and considering a fair few mentioned Zamblera recently - a rather quiet yet efficient performance, that shot that Dave mentioned up the page and also one class flick-on to give Ferguson (I think anyway, he came off the bench) a sight of goal.

Baheng's goal was a peach. Skinned two players and placed it beyond the keeper. Inman looked really impressive also, even without his two goals.

Forster was unworked but good on crosses, Donaldson was a monster in midfield, Tozer was good barring one s**** backpass that the keeper had to save from, Lough was quite good and Lee Kerr's goal: although it was a screamer, Krul's save was s**** :lol:

Oh, and Sammi Ameobi eyeballed the keeper one on one and promptly hit it straight into his legs. As my mate said it's in his blood :thup:

Excellent turnout for a friendly on a Wednesday night anarl, around 6 or 7 hundred.

yes pretty much agree with that pilko, maybe not the Donaldson bit, thought he was poor,  no idea what Krul was doing with there goal, looked like he went to make a flashy "for the cameras" save and messed up,  not like him as he's normally rock solid.

Inman was his usual effective self, keeping things nice and simple, almost had a hat trick after bursting through and rounded the keeper only for the defender to get back and block the shot on the line.  Thought young Sammy Ameobi played well but should've scored when clean through.

crowd was just over 1000, which is very impressive

Nice to see them keeping form after having a canny few players moved on to the first team and the players away on international duty.

Cheers for your recaps Pilko & binnsy.

I love potential like. Tastes so sweet compared to the first team shite we're up against.

1000? Jesus, not bad. Where were you watching the game from btw?

I thought Donaldson was good personally, he did fade a bit later on however.

Donaldson did ok, i just wouldn't have described him as a monster! lol

I was stood next to Beardsley and Wharton behind the goal where we attacked 1st half.

Baheng was being played wide left in the first half, seemed to be more central second half. Did okay first, goal was class in second and then showed a few neat touches at the end.

Zamblera I already said if you care to look near the bottom of the previous page :thup:

Hmm i'm wondering why young lads like Inman and Vukic doesn't get some chances in the first team, Rooney, Lennon and Milner was 16 when they got their Premiership debuts, so why not let Inman and Vukic play a part in The Championship, both sounds like huge talents.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geoffasenna

Jonny Godsmarks signed on loan with Hereford for 6 months, wonder how many of the other ones go on loan?

Guest Stephen927

Jonny Godsmarks signed on loan with Hereford for 6 months, wonder how many of the other ones go on loan?

Probably some of the lesser reserve players, can see players like Ranger being told they will get a decent amount of first team football this season so don't need to go out on loan.

From .com:

Hearts U19s 4 Newcastle XI  0

A mixed Magpies Academy/reserve squad faced Heart of Midlothian's U19 side in Edinburgh on Friday morning, the third and final game of a brief Scottish tour by United.

After a forgettable opening half at the Jambos' Heriot- Watt University training base though, United deservedly trailed to Jason Holt (25) and Gordon Smith (43) goals.

A slightly improved showing in the second half failed to produce a United goal though, before Jordan Morton made it 3-0 on 80 minutes and Billy McKenna completed the scoring with six minutes to go.

Both sides observed a minute's silence before kickoff in memory of former Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson.

NUFC: Soderberg (trialist 63), James Taylor (Mogwo 25), Dummett (Folan 67), Danquah (Spear 53), Archer (trialist 46), Tozer, McCrudden, McDermott (Page 46), Zamblera, Ferguson, Baheng (Williams 46).

Earlier in the week, Newcastle registered a 2-1 victory over Celtic, before going on to beat Hamilton Accies 4-2

Trialists  :shifty:

From .com:

Hearts U19s 4 Newcastle XI  0

A mixed Magpies Academy/reserve squad faced Heart of Midlothian's U19 side in Edinburgh on Friday morning, the third and final game of a brief Scottish tour by United.

After a forgettable opening half at the Jambos' Heriot- Watt University training base though, United deservedly trailed to Jason Holt (25) and Gordon Smith (43) goals.

A slightly improved showing in the second half failed to produce a United goal though, before Jordan Morton made it 3-0 on 80 minutes and Billy McKenna completed the scoring with six minutes to go.

Both sides observed a minute's silence before kickoff in memory of former Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson.

NUFC: Soderberg (trialist 63), James Taylor (Mogwo 25), Dummett (Folan 67), Danquah (Spear 53), Archer (trialist 46), Tozer, McCrudden, McDermott (Page 46), Zamblera, Ferguson, Baheng (Williams 46).

Earlier in the week, Newcastle registered a 2-1 victory over Celtic, before going on to beat Hamilton Accies 4-2

Trialists  :shifty:

I was at the game and don't get too excited about the trialists. The keeper had nowt to do but pick the ball out of the net and the other one played at left back and did nowt apart from go down injured. I could post their names but that would defeat the point of calling them trialist. Both were only kids though. 

The game in general was very disappointing from our point of view. The Hearts kids were just better and while there were individual touches from players like Shane Ferguson, the final ball was lacking. Only in a brief spell in the 2nd half was anything coming off with Zamblera and Tozer going close.

By the look of their players though they were a lot older and by far the best player on the pitch, in my eyes, was their right back Thompson (or similar). For us Danquah was assured playing in central midfield and Andy Mogwo looked far better when he moved to centre back. Kenny Wharton didn't look too pleased but with some key players away on International and first team duty this team at least should have a chance to strengthen through the early season. Not sure anyone was screaming for elevation to the first team subs bench but i'm guessing most of this lot will sense progression to at least the reserves with the inevitable departure of the stars.

Guest Heneage

It's always gonna be hard with trialists, if you don't want to name them could you pm me the names?

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sat 15.08.2009 U18s v Chelsea (h)

@ Little Benton, 11am. Friendly.

Going to be an interesting opening day fixtures for the lads like, then I'll have to burn some rubber to get to the match in time to see the depressing first team v Reading! Haven't had a chance to see Andy Mogwo play yet, or even to see what he looks like, you have a physical description at all?