U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I'm assuming the 'trialist' is Pocklington?

Aye will be, Jak Alnwick has a broken thumb, won't be back in training for a few weeks.

I'll probably be the one looking like a t*** with a notepad...

When is it, where is it, and how much? Ta :aww:

Newcastle's U18 side open their league campaign this coming Saturday with the visit of Aston Villa to their Little Benton base. Kick-off is scheduled for 11am.

and its free

From nufc.co.uk

United line up as follows for The Villains clash;

1 Trialist 2 Phil Airey 3 Paul Dummet 4 Brad Inman 5 Matthew Grieve 6 James Taylor 7 Samuel Adjei 8 Greg McDermott 9 Sammy Ameobi 10 Haris Vuckic 11 Shane Ferguson 12 Jeff Henderson 13 Andy Mogwo 14 Aaron Spear 15 Ryan Page 16 Stephen Folan 17 Ben Robinson

Cheers mate!

So to get there get off at Four Lanes metro station and walk down benton road turn right and walk for ages?

No if you walk down Benton Road you'd end up at the training ground,  the Academy is on Coach lane,  come out of 4 lane ends metro, walk down benton lane, take the next right, walk down coach lane, you'll first pass a Uni  football pitch on the left,  then you'll come to some traffic lights, go past them, the next traffic lights turn left into a housing estate, nice big houses and that takes you to the academy. 

edit oops  just seen that you already know to turn right off Benton road!lol

I'll probably be the one looking like a t*** with a notepad...

When is it, where is it, and how much? Ta :aww:

Newcastle's U18 side open their league campaign this coming Saturday with the visit of Aston Villa to their Little Benton base. Kick-off is scheduled for 11am.

and its free

From nufc.co.uk

United line up as follows for The Villains clash;

1 Trialist 2 Phil Airey 3 Paul Dummet 4 Brad Inman 5 Matthew Grieve 6 James Taylor 7 Samuel Adjei 8 Greg McDermott 9 Sammy Ameobi 10 Haris Vuckic 11 Shane Ferguson 12 Jeff Henderson 13 Andy Mogwo 14 Aaron Spear 15 Ryan Page 16 Stephen Folan 17 Ben Robinson

Cheers mate!

So to get there get off at Four Lanes metro station and walk down benton road turn right and walk for ages?

No if you walk down Benton Road you'd end up at the training ground,  the Academy is on Coach lane,  come out of 4 lane ends metro, walk down benton lane, take the next right, walk down coach lane, you'll first pass a Uni  football pitch on the left,  then you'll come to some traffic lights, go past them, the next traffic lights turn left into a housing estate, nice big houses and that takes you to the academy. 

edit oops  just seen that you already know to turn right off Benton road!lol

No worries as long as I'm going the right way. I will probs go tomorrow would really like to see Vuckic in action might even have a few random Bosnian chants to shout at him.

Don't mean to confuse anyone with the directions to the academy game, but if you came out of Four lane Ends metro, would you not turn left onto Whitley Road, past the Black Bull pub, then right onto Coach Lane?

If you're unsure, i think the No'1 bus goes from Four Lane ends, down Coach Lane.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye up and left from the Metro station probably quickest way, just follow the road all the way down. Or get off at Benton, go up the road (opposite way to down the road) and turn left.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=benton,+newcastle&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.739664,39.506836&ie=UTF8&ll=55.012596,-1.568942&spn=0.012058,0.038581&z=15

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Newcastle United 1 - 2 Villa

(McDermott - Ryan Simmonds x2)

Scott Pocklington (Actually named on the team sheet, so I wonder if we've signed him)

Airey---, Taylor, Grieve----, Dummet

---------McDermott Inman------------

Adjei--------------------------Ferguson

--------------Vuckic----------------------

-------------Ameobi---------------------

1st Half was all Aston Villa, with Newcastle sitting back and lobbing countless end balls into the channels for Ameobi to pick up. This didn't work at all, and Villa quickly picked the ball back up and launched countless attacks. Pocklington was vocal throughout, trying to keep the young Paul Dummet switched on and aware (who at times seemed to lack concentration), yet was at fault for the first goal.

A cross came in from the flank, Phil Airey beaten after going into a tackle midway up the half, with Taylor out of position covering Airey, Villa had a spare man in the middle. If I'm harsh Greg McDermott should have tracked back and helped out, but he didn't which meant the smallest man on the pitch was able to score with a header after the ball had bounced in the area. Pocklington appeared to lose his footing on the pitch, slipping to the ground getting back into position from the cross, allowing a simple headed tap in for the little Villa player.

Villa's second came from another slip (literally) in defence, as James Taylor controlled the ball, only to slip on the field gifting the ball to Simmonds, about 30 yards out from goal. With a clear path to goal, Simmonds simply slotted it home 1 on 1 with Keeper. Taylor seemed genuinely pissed off with himself for giving the goal away as he lashed a right boot into the goal post afterwards.

Second Half was a breath of fresh air. After a delayed start, due to Samual Adjei returning late from the changing room, only to stop, hold his stomach, then head back, the game came to life. Aaron Spear came on for Adjei, slotting onto the right flank in a straight swap. Like last week nearly all the attacking movement from Newcastle came either via Ferguson or Vuckic, who linked up well. Something the first half had clearly missed.

Newcastle's goal came from a corner, which was headed clear only to fall to Greg McDermott, who shouted clearly it was his ball, before lashing it right footed into the top corner from 18 yards out. Quality goal, yet sadly the only thing he did throughout the 90mins. That goal lifted Newcastle spirits further and most of the 2nd Half was Newcastle attacking, with Villa launching a slight counter attack.

Jeff Henderson came on for James Taylor, and looked tidy, with Stephen Folan coming on for an injured Sammy Ameobi late in the 2nd half.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Does anyone know who the youth trainer is with the initials 'ST', that takes the subs through their warm ups at half time?

I got a little confused with venues yesterday. Parked up at the academy buildings, off Coach Lane, then was told by a club staff member that they were playing at Darsley Park. Silly me.

Canny game, but left ourselves too much to do after gifting 2 goals. Who's the big toon centre-half? Quite an imposing build for his age.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I got a little confused with venues yesterday. Parked up at the academy buildings, off Coach Lane, then was told by a club staff member that they were playing at Darsley Park. Silly me.

Canny game, but left ourselves too much to do after gifting 2 goals. Who's the big toon centre-half? Quite an imposing build for his age.

Grieves, he's one of the over 18s being played (allowed 3).

As for ball winning midfielders, McLoughlin seems to be slowly moulding into one. Other then that, not really.

Same as me, i pitched up just before 11am at the Academy, just got to the pitch at Darlsey Park as we were picking the ball out of the net after Villa's first goal.  We were always struggling after gifting them a 2nd when taylor slipped over but thought we were excellent in the 2nd half and could easily have turned the game round and won it.

Donaldson called up for U19 England team

i find that a bit stange, think he may well have been called up on reputation,  came through most England teams u16's 17's etc as a striker,  Newcastle have moved him into a midfield player in the last 18 month,  i don't think he's that good a player to be one of the best midfielders in the country.

Reserve friendly:

Haris harries Hoops

With this week's scheduled league season opener postponed, another behind-closed-doors game was arranged to give Newcastle's reserves match practice.

Thursday afternoon saw a Celtic XI record a 4-2 success at Darsley Park, with United's newest first team debutant Haris Vuckic scoring both the home side's goals. 

NUFC: Soderberg, Morris, Ferguson, Inman, Tozer, Lough, Adjei, Donaldson, Ngo Baheng, Vuckic, Danquah (Airey 58)

PS: Newcastle Reserves get their season underway next week when Bradford City are the visitors to Tyneside. Note that this game has now been moved from Monday 7th Sept to Tuesday 8th Sept but venue and KO remain unchanged: SJP @ 7pm.

King Vuckic strikes again.

Take it he didn't get on last night.

Take it you can't read.

Reserve friendly:

Haris harries Hoops

With this week's scheduled league season opener postponed, another behind-closed-doors game was arranged to give Newcastle's reserves match practice.

Thursday afternoon saw a Celtic XI record a 4-2 success at Darsley Park, with United's newest first team debutant Haris Vuckic scoring both the home side's goals. 

NUFC: Soderberg, Morris, Ferguson, Inman, Tozer, Lough, Adjei, Donaldson, Ngo Baheng, Vuckic, Danquah (Airey 58)

PS: Newcastle Reserves get their season underway next week when Bradford City are the visitors to Tyneside. Note that this game has now been moved from Monday 7th Sept to Tuesday 8th Sept but venue and KO remain unchanged: SJP @ 7pm.

King Vuckic strikes again.