U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What's this Sam Adeji like? I  remember hearing he was really fast but that was it .

Aye he's fast, but doesn't know how to use his pace. I'm not sure if its because he's used to playing up front and we're trying to mould him into a Right Forward in a 4-3-3 that's got him struggling, or what. He rarely takes a man on with his pace, and always slows up and tries to trick/dribble his way around them and often fails...

His crossing is poor, his tracking back is terrible, his work rate is pretty weak too. I said earlier on that he probably won't be offered a full senior contract come the end of the year unless he REALLY improves.

Guest geoffasenna

from .com

Blackburn U18 2 Newcastle U18 1

After collecting their first points of the season last week with victory over Manchester City, Saturday saw United's U18s contrive to lose their third game out of four played.

Despite dominating the opening stages of their fixture down in Lancashire - with both Brad Inman and Patrick McLaughlin coming close - the young Magpies fell behind to a self-inflicted blow on 23 minutes.

There seemed little danger when Stephen Folan took the ball from United 'keeper Max Johnson, but a short pass to James Tavernier saw the defender dwell on the ball before losing out at the second attempt to Jason Banton.

The in-form Banton had scored five times in his last outing against Barnsley and shot home confidently from 20 yards to put the home side ahead.

Both Inman and McLaughlin brought saves out of Rovers 'keeper Josh Swann, but aside from a penalty shout for handball being ignored, United's best chance of an equaliser was wasted when Inman hesitated before shooting and was then crowded out.

Striker Phil Airey then saw his shot saved, before Inman drove forward again - only to strike the woodwork with another effort on 63 minutes.

Six minutes later though the Australian youngster finally got his reward, linking up with substitute Aaron Spear down the United right before shooting past Swann at his near post.

Parity was only restored for five minutes though, before some more regrettable defending saw Rovers score again via a route one heft upfield. Tavernier lost out to Michael Potts, who strode on before curling the ball home.

Further efforts from Newcastle saw both Inman and Spear shoot wide, while Airey won an aerial challenge with Swann, but was unable to direct his header on target.

And with resources committed upfield, Rovers broke away in the final minute of normal time, only for James Knowles to shoot against the post.

NUFC: Johnson, Newton, Dummett, McDermott (Liam Henderson 77), Tavernier, Folan, McCrudden (Spear 55), McLaughlin, Airey, Inman, Ameobi.

Subs n/u: Mogwo, Dan Tayor, Page.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ergh so Phil Airey is back up front now after nearly a full season at Right Back?

but then again the season before he switched between right back and striker as well, normally from game to game!!

Aye, just doing my head in trying to work out what natural position to give him on FM, think I'll just lob him at RB and ST haha

Always hacks me off when I see profile like this on SAFC http://www.safc.com/page/AcademySquadProfiles/0,,10281~1695269,00.html & then read this on

TheFA.com U17 profile "A dominant central defender with good aerial ability, Louis is a formidable opponent for any forward. Captained the U16s against Wales in 2008 and looked assured against Scotland in the last match. Lifted the Victory Shield alongside Luke Garbutt. Played against Turkey in the U17 Euros in 2009.

TheFA.com U18 profile "A big and aggressive central defender, who is quick, strong and with good aerial ability. A determined attitude and will-to-win make him a formidable opponent for any attacker."

Should be playing for us!!!!!

While browsing the England teams U20 & all the teams below there were a total of 6 geordies in them squads.

Guest geoffasenna

obi have you or anyone else play footy manager and have some good pics of the unders 18s as im sick of having no pics on the bairns on the game.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Always hacks me off when I see profile like this on SAFC http://www.safc.com/page/AcademySquadProfiles/0,,10281~1695269,00.html & then read this on

TheFA.com U17 profile "A dominant central defender with good aerial ability, Louis is a formidable opponent for any forward. Captained the U16s against Wales in 2008 and looked assured against Scotland in the last match. Lifted the Victory Shield alongside Luke Garbutt. Played against Turkey in the U17 Euros in 2009.

TheFA.com U18 profile "A big and aggressive central defender, who is quick, strong and with good aerial ability. A determined attitude and will-to-win make him a formidable opponent for any attacker."

Should be playing for us!!!!!

While browsing the England teams U20 & all the teams below there were a total of 6 geordies in them squads.

Most of their youth team are Geordies!

And no, Geoff, I don't have any pictures, I usually just search FM sites and download packs.

Who's bright idea was it too have the Academy game kicking off at 1pm 2moro,  stops anyone who's going to the Plymouth game from watching both games.  Still possible but makes it tight, much better to have an 11am ko then you've still got time to get into town for a couple of pints and catch Burnley beat the mackems.

Obviously not as good but .com are doing score updates.

0-0 at the moment.

Team: Soderberg, Airey, Lough, McDermott, Morris, Folan, Adjei, Inman, Ameobi, Danquah, Ferguson.

Subs: McCrudden, Newton, McLaughlin, Spear, Liam Henderson.

No Vuckic, Baheng, LuaLua or Tavernier so they might all be involved tomorrow.

Guest Geordiesned

Half time update on .co.uk now.

It's goalless at the break with real chances few and far between for both sides.

Shane Ferguson, the Northern Ireland Under-21 midfielder, came closest for the Magpie when, stealing space for a shot 20 yards from goal, he curled narrowly wide of Paul Musselwhite's frame on 23 minutes.

City striker Andy Hutchinson then saw his low fizzer spilt by Ole Sodeberg and, when the ball ran loose with Nathan Adams closing in, the covering Phil Airey took no chances in hacking behind.

Let's hope there is a little more to report after the interval ...