U23s & Academy

Skirge

See young Remie Streete is in the squad tonight, only about 15/16 i think but a big lad.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6212/n794180656817.jpg

Is that Taverner on the right? :undecided:

Edit: He was only 14 in July 2009 when he was nominated for the Pride of South Tyneside awards for his Boldon Colts performances

no idea who that is on the right but its not Tavernier.

Guest Roger Kint

FFS why do I keep reading stuff wrong today.  :doh:  I thought it was Steele not Streete.  Crap name, get rid.

Not your fault Binnsy got it wrong tbh ;D

i just knew him as Remi! :-)

Wasnt a critisism mate, just trying to make Frazzle feel better :angel:

.com has him as Remi too when its Remie. Not that its a Luis Enrique esque mess up ;D

Guest Roger Kint

See young Remie Streete is in the squad tonight, only about 15/16 i think but a big lad.

Edit: He was only 14 in July 2009 when he was nominated for the Pride of South Tyneside awards for his Boldon Colts performances

I was basing my assumption that Remie was close to 6ft from what i was told but i guess either could be him, plus the middle looks younger :undecided:

I was basing my assumption that Remie was close to 6ft from what i was told but i guess either could be him, plus the middle looks younger :undecided:

he could be either tbh, i've never seen the lad play so have no idea what he like,  just went off my nephew who said he was a good player.

Guest Roger Kint

My brother saw a lot of him for Boldon and said he can hit a ball better and harder than him(my brothers 28) could well be a good prospect if he progresses here.

My brother saw a lot of him for Boldon and said he can hit a ball better and harder than him(my brothers 28) could well be a good prospect if he progresses here.

yes lets hope so.  Do you know if he's a forward or midfielder,  looking at the squad thats been picked i'm doubting he's a defender as the squad seems full of them!!

Guest Roger Kint

yes lets hope so.  Do you know if he's a forward or midfielder,  looking at the squad thats been picked i'm doubting he's a defender as the squad seems full of them!!

He was a midfielder for Boldon but he played a friendly for the under 18's in the Nolan role behind Ranger in preseason apparently(supposedly somewhere abroad??) and he is 6ft3 so is the middle lad according to my brother

i know it took us extra time to win it,  but thats a good win from the lads bearing in mind we were missing so many forward players,  Vukcic, Spear, Ameobi and Airey all missing.  We even had Tavernier(a right back) playing on the right side of a front 3 at the start and centre forward at the start of the second half!

i know it took us extra time to win it,  but thats a good win from the lads bearing in mind we were missing so many forward players,  Vukcic, Spear, Ameobi and Airey all missing.  We even had Tavernier(a right back) playing on the right side of a front 3 at the start and centre forward at the start of the second half!

is spear that much of a miss ? thought he had only broke through and looked very much a boy against men even at youh level.(i'm told)

is spear that much of a miss ? thought he had only broke through and looked very much a boy against men even at youh level.(i'm told)

I haven't really seen enough of him to judge,  suppose Obichris would be the one to ask as he's seen him more than me but bearing in mind we were so short of forward players he'd have come i handy tonight. 

Our hopes of a good run could be hinged on Inman keeping fit, especially until Vukcic is fit again,  not sure when the next round is but hopefully it'll be a home tie.

Is PM running the line at the U18 game today?

An eagle-eyed linesman
flagged after a corner had been cleared and told the referee that the 'keeper, Lewis King, had taken a swipe at someone.

King was booked and then almost saved James Tavernier's spot-kick but the ball found the back of the net to get United back on terms.

WIPE OUT!!!

SMB:  Severe

Magpie Beating

Result:

Newcastle U18s  1  mackems U18s  4

United's U18 side put their nine game unbeaten league run to the test this morning, when they face their mackem rivals at Darsley Park.

The visitors almost took the lead in the opening minutes but the effort was chalked off for offside. But just after the half hour mark they went in front when Robinson fumbled a soft shot into the net.

Newcastle equalised in controversial circumstances a minute before the break when a penalty was awarded for an off the ball incident.

An eagle-eyed linesman flagged after a corner had been cleared and told the referee that the 'keeper, Lewis King, had taken a swipe at someone.

King was booked and then almost saved James Tavernier's spot-kick but the ball found the back of the net to get United back on terms.

Unfortunately the roof fell in after the break and three goals in 20 minutes sealed the win for the away side.

NUFC: Robinson, Nzuzi, Dummett, J.Henderson, Folan, Adjei, Newton, Inman, McDermott, Tavernier, McGorrigan.

Subs: Williams, L. Henderson, Page, Mogwo, Streete.

Last season's meetings went the way of the home side, with both sides recording 3-1 victories. Injury rules Magpies forward trio Phil Airey, Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic out, while midfielder Aaron Spear is suspended.

From NUFC.com

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Ben Robinson had a nightmare, not much more to say about the game really, no one stood out as good. Andy Mogwo came on for Greg McDermott and his only contribution was to lose the ball, which allowed Sunderland to score.

The U16s were playing on the next field over, wish I had watched that now - though they lost too. Pretty sure Streete was in the U16 squad as I didn't see him on the bench for the U18s.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Huge gap in quality they were good and we were bad. If I'm honest, Sunderland just seemed the more professional acedemy side. Even comparing the benches they looked better prepared and more established. They had subs, all sitting together watching the game, coaches sitting watching taking notes giving some pretty good constructive critisicm.

Compare that to the Toon bench which had people standing all over, talking, some wearing toon training kit, some in jeans and shirt, with very little feedback or motivation from Kenny Wharton. So its not too hard to see why some of the local lads have had their heads turned and decided to join Sunderland youth over Toon youth. On top of that the Toon set up is pretty young compared to other clubs, and we've swapped Academy Director nearly every season so just when things start to become organised there's a change at the top.

The youth team is almost an exact mirror of the senior set up, where there's so many changes no one knows whats going on. The Academy really needs to be set up as a seperate entity to the Senior squad with the Director staying on, even if managers come and go. As things stand we have a mixed croup of young players, and any youngsters we don't get to first will always end up going to Boro or Sunderland, simply because they have a better set up and track record.

An eagle-eyed linesman
flagged after a corner had been cleared and told the referee that the 'keeper, Lewis King, had taken a swipe at someone.

I wish!  Mind I did line on the same fixture last season...

An eagle-eyed linesman

Aye & I am sure you got greef off Nile. Also PM do you use the legendary gold 58 bus?

An eagle-eyed linesman

Aye & I am sure you got greef off Nile. Also PM do you use the legendary gold 58 bus?

You stalking me or summat? :lol: