IT'S SUNDAY

Thespence

NEWS OF THE WORLD

Steven Gerrard is to be offered a new £30million deal by Liverpool.

Manchester City have offered Thierry Henry the chance to return to the Premier League from Barcelona.

Newcastle are facing financial meltdown if they are relegated as they have made no provision for playing in the Championship in players' contracts. :frantic:

Man Utd duo Jonny Evans and Ji-Sung Park will be offered new deals before the end of the season.

Marlon King is on the verge of sealing a £1million move from Hull to Middlesbrough.

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish still hopes to sign Kris Boyd in a £3.75million deal from Rangers.

Portsmouth striker Kanu could join Qatari side Al Arabi after being told he will not be offered a new deal at Fratton Park.

Wolves are set to sign Marlon Harewood on loan from Aston Villa.

Djibril Cisse will return to Marseille after his loan spell at Sunderland as the Black Cats cannot afford the £9million asking price.

Chelsea will appoint Ajax chief scout Hans van der Zee to work under new boss Frank Rijkaard in the summer.

Fulham are eyeing Blackburn defender Aaron Mokoena.

Arsenal could make a move for Lille star Yohan Cabaye.

Wigan and Wolves are chasing Walsall midfielder Troy Deeney.

Burnley forward Ade Akinbiyi is set to join Houston Dynamo.

Everton are lining up a move for PSV starlet Dirk Marcellis.

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Gareth Barry has rejected the chance to negotiate a new contract with Aston Villa, paving the way for an £18million move to Liverpool.

Chelsea will appoint former Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard as their new boss in the summer.

Liverpool are planning a £20million bid for Real Madrid's former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben.

Sunderland are planning a move for Newcastle striker Alan Smith. :mackems:

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp is keeping tabs on Barcelona teenager Bojan Krcic. :yikes:

Manchester Unted are on red alert after Porto defender Bruno Alves switched to the same agent as Cristiano Ronaldo.

Palermo defender Simon Kjaer has snubbed the chance to join Chelsea or Liverpool.

Reports in Greece claim Arsenal have made a move for Panathinaikos teenager Sotiris Ninis.

Crystal Palace are set to sign Danny Webber on loan from Sheffield United.

Manchester City are chasing £4million-rated Swansea defender Angel Rangel.

Rangers midfielder Steven Davis will snub Wigan and Sunderland to stay at Ibrox.

Mark Hughes could axe as many as 17 players this summer. :yikes:

Spurs are set to splash out £1million on Rochdale striker Will Buckley.

SUNDAY MIRROR

England coach Fabio Capello has refused to condemn the drinking culture in the game.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will be given £100million to spend in the summer.

Guus Hiddink is paving the way for a permanent move to Chelsea.

Manchester City and Liverpool both made late moves for Andrei Arshavin in January before he joined Arsenal.

Mark Hughes is set to be offered a new deal at Man City as he prepares to axe as many as 16 players in the summer.

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell says he will axe any players who take legal action against West Ham.

Didier Drogba is set to be offered a new contract by Chelsea.

SUNDAY PEOPLE

Guus Hiddink has told Chelsea to offer Didier Drogba a new contract.

Gareth Barry is refusing to talk to Aston Villa over a new deal, paving the way for a move to Liverpool.

Rafa Benitez will earn a £1million bonus if Liverpool win the title.

Middlesbrough chiefs are investigating claims a member of staff bet £250 on Gareth Southgate being the next Premier League boss to be sacked. :lol:

Arsenal have told Arsene Wenger he can stay at the club until the end of his managerial career.

Man Utd defender Wes Brown is a shock £3.5million target for Aston Villa. :yikes:

Liverpool have told Hertha Berlin it will cost them £4million to sign Andrei Voronin.

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola is chasing Sporting Lisbon midfielder Joao Moutinho and Fulham captain Danny Murphy.

Reading will make a move for Hull goalkeeper Boaz Myhill if they are promoted.

Nottingham Forest have made a loan bid to sign Dexter Blackstock from QPR.

Man Utd youngsters Rodrigo Possebon and Federico Macheda are wanted by Rangers.

Stoke will make a summer move for Paris St Germain striker Fabrice Pancrate if they stay in the Premier League.

SUNDAY EXPRESS

Chelsea will appoint Frank Rijkaard as their new boss in the summer.

Tottenham will make another move to sign Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing in the summer.

Mark Hughes has begun talks over a new deal with Manchester City.

Sunderland hope to make AZ Alkmaar coach Louis van Gaal their new manager. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Man City boss Mark Hughes has refused to rule out another move for Valencia striker David Villa.

SUNDAY MAIL

Lokomotiv Moscow are planning a summer move for Hibs striker Derek Riordan.

Several clubs in Dubai are interested in Rangers' out-of-favour midfielder Brahim Hemdani.

Newcastle and Wigan will fight it out for Derby winger Kris Commons :cheesy:

Just our fucking luck:

Baugur collapsed into administration owing Newcastle United Football Club £225,000 for the hire of a corporate box at its St James' Park stadium. The club, owned by fellow high street entrepreneur Mike Ashley, appears on a list of creditors provided to the company's administrator by Baugur's directors. The documents have just been filed at Companies House. The "Notice of statement of affairs" document shows that Baugur took the box at St James' Park on a two-season basis. The £225,000 owed would have been higher but the company agreed to a "payment plan" at an unspecified point in the past and around £40,000 was paid down.

Ashley V Whelan

Sports Direct sought to scupper the rescue of its biggest rival JJB Sports by trying to discourage landlords from backing the emergency sale of its fitness clubs.

Despite the spoiling tactics of Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley, the £70m sale to businessman Dave Whelan, the founder and former boss of JJB, is expected to complete tomorrow. JJB is on its knees after breaching its banking covenants (loan conditions), and without the cash the group would face collapse, putting 12,000 jobs in jeopardy.

The Treasury helped Whelan meet the deal deadline by hastening the return of £45m of his personal fortune, which was tied up in collapsed Icelandic bank Kaupthing. "The money is there and everything is ready to go," said Whelan.

Last week, Sports Direct wrote to JJB's landlords, in effect urging them not to assign the leases to Whelan, potentially torpedoing the deal. In an explosive allegation, Whelan said Ashley even encouraged him to let the retailer he created go bust: "He said if I backed off from the deal he'd guarantee I'd get the health clubs at half the price I'd agreed to pay."

If JJB failed, not only would thousands of jobs go, but suppliers would face substantial losses. Whelan met Ashley 10 days ago at the Wrightington Hotel & Country Club in Wigan.

Ashley, who also owns Newcastle United, is controversial in the City, having pocketed £930m from the disappointing flotation of Sports Direct in 2007. But there is also bad blood between him and Whelan dating back to 2000. Ashley blew the whistle on the price-fixing of football shirts in the sector, triggering an Office of Fair Trade inquiry.

JJB Sports' agreement with its banks expires on Tuesday and JJB plans to use the deal proceeds to pay its £60m debt. It will also seek to jettison around 30 loss-making stores.

Sports Direct declined to comment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/22/sports-direct-international-jjbsports

Have to wonder what Ashley's personal security bill must be like at the moment really. Unless he's equally inept in planning that side of things as he is running a football club. Or...is it actually ineptitude or something more sinister?

Not in todays papers but found it when I was looking for what Dean Whithead had said to upset so many Scum fans:

“The crowd were a bit impatient weren’t they,” Bruce said. “Talk about edgy. Wow. It’s me. I must infuriate them being born where I was born and they know I’m black and white.”

Guest Heneage

Anyone seen the supposed list of players Man City are chopping, Sky had a well educated guess, and in Schemeichel Elano and Fernandes, I really would be putting bids in.

Guest Heneage

I'd imagine Gelson and Kasper wouldn't mind if we gave them these "Non promotion release clauses" (FM Tastic) :crazy2:

Is he? A cardiff mate said he was really good.

So you haven't actually watched him but want to sign him?

I remember his run of games at City last year. Never seen a keeper so terrified of high  balls.

Guest Heneage

Is he? A cardiff mate said he was really good.

So you haven't actually watched him but want to sign him?

I remember his run of games at City last year. Never seen a keeper so terrified of high  balls.

I've seen the odd game for City and some sporadic highlights for the Danish youth side. But nothing major I admit that.

A few the names meant to be for the chop at City

Young gems Micah Richards, Joe Hart and Michael Johnson have proven themselves integral to the cause in the past, but even their futures now seem uncertain as Hughes looks to develop a side capable of challenging the top four.

As many as 17 players are thought to be under threat with Michael Ball, Darius Vassell, Danny Mills, Dietmar Hamann, Elano, Jo, Javier Garrido, Kasper Schmeichel, Gelson Fernandes, Felipe Caicedo, Benjani, Glauber Berti and Tal Ben-Haim all now facing the chop.

Guest Heneage

"Newcastle are facing financial meltdown if they are relegated as they have made no provision for playing in the Championship in players' contracts."

believe this 100% tbh

True, just ignore the rule about players having to take wage cuts for relegation, its the News of the fucking world, their record with football stories is not blemished at all, every story they write goes through stringent checks to make sure it is true factual, and in no way made up bullshit to sell papers on a Sunday.

"Newcastle are facing financial meltdown if they are relegated as they have made no provision for playing in the Championship in players' contracts."

believe this 100% tbh

True, just ignore the rule about players having to take wage cuts for relegation, its the News of the fucking world, their record with football stories is not blemished at all, every story they write goes through stringent checks to make sure it is true factual, and in no way made up bullshit to sell papers on a Sunday.

aye?  there's rules about that from the FA or PL, i'm amazed but good shit if true

lets be honest though, the ineptitude of the previous regime knew no bounds in contract awards did it?  which is what i was referring to

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour by Ashley to be honest, these are people's livelihoods at stake.

An acquaintance of mine - a writer with a London paper - offered his condolences when Ashley purchased the club. He cited the bloke's questionable standard of business ethics as one reason among others.

And Ashley wasn't exactly on the now defunct Umbro's Christmas Card list either, if you read into the details as to how he squeezed and devalued Umbro's chief product by effectively pushing JBB out of the replica shirt selling market. That pales in comparison as to the 'how' pertaining to Ashley blowing the whistle on them - Umbro/Whelan etc - when the said supplier attempted to reign-in the maverick operator/Ashley. Ashley attended the Umbro organised summit/meeting under the guise of a supposedly listening ear, somebody who may have been prepared and willing to compromise for the sake of all parties involved.

In business circles he is known as a rat, and as acquired a sizeable list of enemies over the years. IMO this a major reason as to why the bloke is largely known for being reclusive. Not only that he has built a reputation as being difficult to deal with. Ashley once admitted it himself - when searching for a new CEO for Sports Direct a few years back, it took him nearly a year to that position - when he declared the timeframe/difficulty in filling that position was down to him 'being impossible to work with'.

*Once appeared in The Times.

Ashley V Whelan

Sports Direct sought to scupper the rescue of its biggest rival JJB Sports by trying to discourage landlords from backing the emergency sale of its fitness clubs.

Despite the spoiling tactics of Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley, the £70m sale to businessman Dave Whelan, the founder and former boss of JJB, is expected to complete tomorrow. JJB is on its knees after breaching its banking covenants (loan conditions), and without the cash the group would face collapse, putting 12,000 jobs in jeopardy.

The Treasury helped Whelan meet the deal deadline by hastening the return of £45m of his personal fortune, which was tied up in collapsed Icelandic bank Kaupthing. "The money is there and everything is ready to go," said Whelan.

Last week, Sports Direct wrote to JJB's landlords, in effect urging them not to assign the leases to Whelan, potentially torpedoing the deal. In an explosive allegation, Whelan said Ashley even encouraged him to let the retailer he created go bust: "He said if I backed off from the deal he'd guarantee I'd get the health clubs at half the price I'd agreed to pay."

If JJB failed, not only would thousands of jobs go, but suppliers would face substantial losses. Whelan met Ashley 10 days ago at the Wrightington Hotel & Country Club in Wigan.

Ashley, who also owns Newcastle United, is controversial in the City, having pocketed £930m from the disappointing flotation of Sports Direct in 2007. But there is also bad blood between him and Whelan dating back to 2000. Ashley blew the whistle on the price-fixing of football shirts in the sector, triggering an Office of Fair Trade inquiry.

JJB Sports' agreement with its banks expires on Tuesday and JJB plans to use the deal proceeds to pay its £60m debt. It will also seek to jettison around 30 loss-making stores.

Sports Direct declined to comment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/mar/22/sports-direct-international-jjbsports

Whelan's ill-feeling toward Ashley is one hundred percent justified imo.