A Very Fair Assessment Of Owen

Crumpy Gunt

passion my prick

Barton?  Course he's passionate, he does a bit too much badge slapping/kissing but I don't think you can deny that he genuinely cares.  Do you like anything about Newcastle?

Guest Ebolarama

only interesting bit for me was the neck & back injuries, if true he's f***ed

owen could stand doing nothing all game in a decent team and he'd score more often than not, unless he couldn't actually walk, simply down to his instinct

and this is from someone who hates him fiercely

can't understand  the hate ?

he's here for exactly the same reason as the rest in that we were the best available option at the time.

oh, it's cause he's a massive part in our current predicament, in every sense

never wanted to be here & would have been gone already given a sniff of a chance

same goes for the vast majority of the squad

no, it doesn't due to the size of the fee & wages vs return on said investment

but i see what you're saying

any decent human being would have signed a contract extension with us given what he's provided in terms of value...he hasn't, says it all

hope he rots

"Hope he rots"? Good god, man. It's only a game.

owen could stand doing nothing all game in a decent team and he'd score more often than not, unless he couldn't actually walk, simply down to his instinct

he's here for exactly the same reason as the rest in that we were the best available option at the time.

never wanted to be here & would have been gone already given a sniff of a chance

any decent human being would have signed a contract extension with us given what he's provided in terms of value...he hasn't, says it all

hope he rots

I like how he says he's hated him being here, then says he should sign a contract extension.  :laugh2:

hope he rots

as a player man, jesus, not as a zombie or anything

A guy that would drive them on & actually speaks his mind instead of staying quiet all game. He clearly has the passion to do it & a determination to win. If you havent seen that you're blind.  :thup:

I've seen some scummy angry charv that commands as much respect as a traffic warden. If you haven't see that then you're the blind one. Plus there's the fact that he never plays, which makes him being captain a nonestarter.

Thats why Enriques been class ever since he was called out by Barton during the Blackburn game. Must be a coincidence. Just like how the last two games we were even close to being half decent in were the ones barton came back into only to go off injured again - another complete coincidence.

Think its pretty obvious Barton would be getting a place in our team without his injurys, so him being Captain in the future is very realistic. As i said, apart from Beye i see no one else in our squad capable of taking that position.

hope he rots

I like how he says he's hated him being here, then says he should sign a contract extension.  :laugh2:

i didn't say i wanted either doofus, i was suggesting the man should have shown loyalty that's all

hope he rots

i didn't say i wanted either doofus, i was suggesting the man should have shown loyalty that's all

So if he signs on you'll be pleased?

hope he rots

not in the slightest, you?

hope he rots

Not bothered either way really, because I know if he signs on again his wages will be much lower.

He can never win in your eyes though, that was my point.  He leaves and he's unloyal he stays and he's a waste of money.

It's been the same for ages, he talks to press then gets shot down for making empty promises, he doesn't talk to the press and he's uncommitted.

hope he rots

Not bothered either way really, because I know if he signs on again his wages will be much lower.

He can never win in your eyes though, that was my point.  He leaves and he's unloyal he stays and he's a waste of money.

It's been the same for ages, he talks to press then gets shot down for making empty promises, he doesn't talk to the press and he's uncommitted.

you know this how?

he could win in my eyes by having never signed for us, by not taking a helicopter to work, by knowing IN ADVANCE he shouldn't have rushed to the WC when he wasn't ready

shit like that

the lad gives 100% on the pitch and is a great goalscorer on his day, i will however reserve the right to hate his guts for the negative effect he's had on the club since arriving in the same way i do souness

neither of them wanted to fuck us, they both did though

hope he rots

So i assume you're also annoyed that Boumsong, Luque etc are not still playing for us also. As they didnt provide value for money either did they...so they should have kept playing until they did so ?

In reality any annoyance towards owen having not signed an extension also shows that you must still have a certain level of belief in his ability.

Anyway, there are players all over the place that have not been value for money. If it doesnt work for them they move on & try something new. Hardly disgraceful that Owen might do the same, the only reason our fans are annoyed by it is because we're sh*t & they know that he has the potential to be great.

hope he rots

So i assume you're also annoyed that Boumsong, Luque etc are not still playing for us also. As they didnt provide value for money either did they...so they should have kept playing until they did so ?

In reality any annoyance towards owen having not signed an extension also shows that you must still have a certain level of belief in his ability.

Anyway, there are players all over the place that have not been value for money. If it doesnt work for them they move on & try something new. Hardly disgraceful that Owen might do the same, the only reason our fans are annoyed by it is because we're sh*t & they know that he has the potential to be great.

christ

1. of course i'm annoyed by boumsong/luque etc but we shipped them FOR FEES before they walked away from the club for nothing on fractions of what owens "earned"

2. he has ability, the contract extension thing is about his integrity not his ability (or fitness)

3. how many have contributed so much to the decline of their club financially?

hope he rots

christ

1. of course i'm annoyed by boumsong/luque etc but we shipped them FOR FEES before they walked away from the club for nothing on fractions of what owens "earned"

2. he has ability, the contract extension thing is about his integrity not his ability (or fitness)

Fees we shipped them for were near nothing on what we bought them for. So they earned less than owen ? They also provided less than owen. It could easily be said that owen was the main reason we survived relegation last season (How much would we have lost then?) & considering hes our top scorer this season....a big part of the reason we're not already relegated this season.

You cannot solely look at negatives and fail to see any possible positives he has given our club. Not a very balanced point of view is it.

I fail to see why he owes us anything, we paid him ridiculous amounts in the hope that he would be brilliant for us. He hasnt been for long periods due to injury which is neither sides fault. Why does he owe us ? He took what we offered like anyone with half a brain & hoped that it would be beneficial to both sides. Again it hasnt been.....so why would he keep hacking away at it here when he could get a fresh start elsewhere ? He doesnt owe us because we were wasteful with our money & spent it on a player who has been out through no fault of his own.

hope he rots

christ

Fees we shipped them for were near nothing on what we bought them for. So they earned less than owen ? They also provided less than owen. It could easily be said that owen was the main reason we survived relegation last season (How much would we have lost then?) & considering hes our top scorer this season....a big part of the reason we're not already relegated this season.

You cannot solely look at negatives and fail to see any possible positives he has given our club. Not a very balanced point of view is it.

I fail to see why he owes us anything, we paid him ridiculous amounts in the hope that he would be brilliant for us. He hasnt been for long periods due to injury which is neither sides fault. Why does he owe us ? He took what we offered like anyone with half a brain & hoped that it would be beneficial to both sides. Again it hasnt been.....so why would he keep hacking away at it here when he could get a fresh start elsewhere ? He doesnt owe us because we were wasteful with our money & spent it on a player who has been out through no fault of his own.

1,2,3 again then:

1. we're "shipping" owen for 17m less than we paid, and lord only knows how much in wages...see what you're saying but i simply don't agree; the 30m+ spent elsewhere would have meant we we nowhere near where we are now, spent wisely of course

2. i see very few positives so don't dwell on them, it's call realism & balance...in the last four years owen's negatives vs positives are palpable

3. i didn't say he owed us, i said a decent human being would have done something, 2 different things...still he's paid for his stable so good luck him him eh?

hope he rots

christ

1,2,3 again then:

1. we're "shipping" owen for 17m less than we paid, and lord only knows how much in wages...see what you're saying but i simply don't agree; the 30m+ spent elsewhere would have meant we we nowhere near where we are now, spent wisely of course

2. i see very few positives so don't dwell on them, it's call realism & balance...in the last four years owen's negatives vs positives are palpable

3. i didn't say he owed us, i said a decent human being would have done something, 2 different things...still he's paid for his stable so good luck him him eh?

Could say that about any of them though as i say, not just owen. Could have spent all of their money more wisely than we did, could have had a whole team full of class players so that we wouldnt even need to buy Owen etc etc. Its all ifs and buts isnt it, no reason to send more hate towards Owen than the others. As i said, you can easily balance up his increase in price/wage by saying hes provided far more to us than our other flops did.

For all we know we could have spent the money on crap worse than Owen and been relegated by this point, why doesnt that come under consideration ?

A decent Human being wouldnt necessarily devote his career endlessly to a club thats done nothing but damage it regardless of how much he'd made in the process. You cannot expect him to be eternally grateful, there has to be a cut off point where you give up and go for a fresh start sometimes.

he's finished as a premiership footballer imo, he's had too many injuries and can't adapt his game

he'll be lucky to be earning 50k a week next season, not the 125k he's on here

Bollocks. 9 goals under Keegan last season, in something like 17 games. He's a very clever player, but useless if he doesn't get to take part in the game.

he's finished as a premiership footballer imo, he's had too many injuries and can't adapt his game

Bollocks. 9 goals under Keegan last season, in something like 17 games. He's a very clever player, but useless if he doesn't get to take part in the game.

True, while his pace may have gone, his instinct in the box hasn't, shame we've not got anyone (fit) in the midfield who can provide half decent passes/crosses.

True, while his pace may have gone, his instinct in the box hasn't, shame we've not got anyone (fit) in the midfield who can provide half decent passes/crosses.

Or a decent manager, like Keegan, to get the best out of him.  :-[

Or a decent manager, like Keegan, to get the best out of him.  :-[

You can't polish a turd, KK only went 4-3-3 for about 4 games because that was the whole amount of games he had the players, well Viduka, available.

The problem isn't Owen, well at least when he's fit and available that is. It's how you make the best chances for him or any striker thats the problem and our midfield is arguably the least productive and imaginative in the division.

people are fond of quoting these statistics yet dont take into account the fact that his record for us is less than 1 in 2 if you take away penalties and goals are all he gives the team anyway.

He isn' the same the league as an Inzaghi as a poacher and at somewhere like Man City he's a long way behind Bellamy as a footballer. He'll do ok for a mid-table club next season perhaps but he wont excel at the top level again.

Guest Phil K

Must admit the difference in attitude to being injured - Barton livid, and upset at being injured, wanting to contribute, Owen just not bothered - more interested in where he's going next - says it all to me.

didn't say i wanted either doofus, i was suggesting the man should have shown loyalty that's all

The only loyalty he's shown is to himself, his horses, and his bank balance.

people are fond of quoting these statistics yet dont take into account the fact that his record for us is less than 1 in 2 if you take away penalties and goals are all he gives the team anyway.

He isn' the same the league as an Inzaghi as a poacher and at somewhere like Man City he's a long way behind Bellamy as a footballer. He'll do ok for a mid-table club next season perhaps but he wont excel at the top level again.

He's scored 26 in 64 starts in the league for us.

And he's scored a grand total of three penalties.

So 23 goals in 64 starts (with your strange logic, I'm not sure why you'd ignore penalties anyway.  :idiot2:)

Not really a bad scoring record for someone playing for a team that's hardly finished in the top half.

Correct, he isn't much of a poacher any more. But what Keegan did was that he made Owen play deeper so that he could direct the play and make better use of his undoubted vision and anticipation than he can when being marked out of the game in front of a clueless midfield, which seems more in line with Allardyce's tactics. The way we played under Keegan tried to got the best out of the attackers and the midfield, the way we play now expose every weakness we have while not making use of any of the qualities we have.