A Very Fair Assessment Of Owen

Crumpy Gunt

Guest north shields lad

Out of the 4 teams Owen has palyed for in his career, the only one he ever give a toss about was Team England.

How ironic.

Guest neesy111

Shit. Finished. Frail cunt.

You know I hate him though. Everything wrong with the club is summed up in that overpaid crock of shit.

#

this is my view

never wanted to be here, only came here for the 2006 world cup but then he screwed that over

Guest Phil K

Let's just say one of the worst values ?

At £1.5 million a goal, and only turning out for a third of games ?

His mind let alone heart is nowhere near this club.

I'd still forgive all if he scores to keep us up though

But he'll be back on the sick list before then no doubt

Amusing that Jayson talks of arse-kissing while doing just that himself and ignoring the blatantly obvious.

He did make a fair point though.

right or wrong, I suspect he's going to be the next victim of the SJP boo boys

Maybe its because he deserves to be. The bloke offers no value for money whatsoever. Against Hull and his cameo v Arsenal left us effectively a man short. Also, to suggest he's not injury prone then admit the worst of his injuries where caused when he himself knew he wasn't anywhere near match fit also show how self centred he is.

And as I've said before he's done NOTHING from day one to endear himself to the supporters of the club he captains.

Oh yes, he can score goals. He's proved that in his 64 games in the last 4 years.

I love how you probably read this entire conversation and then came out with that.

So you cannot think of a single thing he's done for us since hes been here & he deserves to get booed because he was desperate to play football for us/England before he was fully ready to.

Class  :clap:

Amusing that Jayson talks of arse-kissing while doing just that himself and ignoring the blatantly obvious.

Not sure stating the truth is ass kissing tbh, changing your opinion overnight would be.

Guest Phil K

Not sure stating the truth is ass kissing tbh, changing your opinion overnight would be.

He's playing very little, doing very little, giving no loyalty whatsoever.

The little tete-a-tete with Ericsson showed that clear enough.

On the plus side, he has scored a few goals.

Just nowhere near enough.

Has he let fans down ?

YES.

Is he an expensive failure ?

However you look at it - YES.

Guest neesy111

right or wrong, I suspect he's going to be the next victim of the SJP boo boys

Maybe its because he deserves to be. The bloke offers no value for money whatsoever. Against Hull and his cameo v Arsenal left us effectively a man short. Also, to suggest he's not injury prone then admit the worst of his injuries where caused when he himself knew he wasn't anywhere near match fit also show how self centred he is.

And as I've said before he's done NOTHING from day one to endear himself to the supporters of the club he captains.

Oh yes, he can score goals. He's proved that in his 64 games in the last 4 years.

I love how you probably read this entire conversation and then came out with that.

So you cannot think of a single thing he's done for us since hes been here & he deserves to get booed because he was desperate to play football for us/England before he was fully ready to.

Class  :clap:

that knee injury he got for england was because he came back early and wasn't fit after his broken foot.  It's well known if your injured on one side of your body, you tend to not use that injured part of your body when possible, this create's strain's on the other part's of your body and hence you usually get another injury.  This is exactly what happened to owen in the world cup when it was clear he was no where near fit enough to play, the only good thing is that that injury has fucked his career up now and it's totally his own fault.

owen is total cunt, even liverpool fan's never really we're warm to him, didn't see many ppl complaining when rafa sold him, he was known there as england's michael owen

i still see that owen hasn't scored 20 premiership goals in a season and won't ever do

This season Martins goals have cost 594k each with Owen's goals costing 546k each.

If the wages are 80k and 105k respectively.

Using rough figures Owen's league goals have cost about 1.3m each compared to Martins' at about 850k each.

Guest BooBoo

If we go into our last home game looking like we'll go down, I'm pretty sure Owen will get some flak on his last appearance at SJP.

This season Martins goals have cost 594k each with Owen's goals costing 546k each.

Using rough figures Owen's league goals have cost about 1.3m each compared to Martins' at about 850k each.

Who says Martins is on 80k?

Guest Phil K

If we go into our last home game looking like we'll go down, I'm pretty sure Owen will get some flak on his last appearance at SJP.

Don't worry - he'll be "injured"

Who says Martins is on 80k?

Read something like that a while ago but would it surprise if he was?

He'll be on 60k at least I reckon and probably a bit more.

Edit- Maybe even 90k: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2289997/Obafemi-Martins-offered-new-Newcastle-deal.html, can't remember if he signed that contract though.

He's playing very little, doing very little, giving no loyalty whatsoever.

The little tete-a-tete with Ericsson showed that clear enough.

On the plus side, he has scored a few goals.

Just nowhere near enough.

Has he let fans down ?

YES.

Is he an expensive failure ?

However you look at it - YES.

Hes playing very little through injurys - All his fault ? No.

You cannot say he's let us down, as for all you know we'd have been relegated by now without him.

Same for your comment on him being a failure.

Loyalty doesnt necessarily come into it when your career is being destroyed by injurys each season and you're playing at a club with the worst recent injury record of everyone in England....probably europe over the last few years. Think even the most loyal players would doubt their position in that situation. Career > Club.

that knee injury he got for england was because he came back early and wasn't fit after his broken foot.  It's well known if your injured on one side of your body, you tend to not use that injured part of your body when possible, this create's strain's on the other part's of your body and hence you usually get another injury.  This is exactly what happened to owen in the world cup when it was clear he was no where near fit enough to play, the only good thing is that that injury has f***ed his career up now and it's totally his own fault.

owen is total c***, even liverpool fan's never really we're warm to him, didn't see many ppl complaining when rafa sold him, he was known there as england's michael owen

i still see that owen hasn't scored 20 premiership goals in a season and won't ever do

Yeah i see your point, what a clown. A guy who loves representing his country so much that he played for them when he was asked to by his manager in the hope he'd help them through a competition. What a ridiculous thing to do, a decision in which he was not influenced anyway whatsoever.

Yeah its great how he had a disasterous injury which has largely so far ruined his career at Newcastle, now we can get relegated. What a brilliant opinion.

What other players of Owens ability could we possibly have gotten at that time for a club in our position under Souness ? Realistically it is far more likely that the money would have been wasted on other rubbish just as Souness did with Luque & Boumsong.

I fail to see how owen is anywhere near close to being a disasterous signing. As said, without him we may not even be in this division anymore. So many of you have rose tinted glasses on as if Newcastle is normally incredibly likely to spend our money on pure quality and Owen ruined it all for us.

Its all complete bs aint it. As soon as he gets a couple goals most of you against him will be kissing his ass. Most of the criticism against him isnt based in reality, but just a general repetition of "he barely touches the ball"....which always fails to include any reason as to why this is realistically his fault based on Newcastles tactics.

Anelka was willing to come.

Anelka's always willing to come. And within 8-12 months, he's sulking and wants away again.

Shit. Finished. Frail cunt.

You know I hate him though. Everything wrong with the club is summed up in that overpaid crock of shit.

True. Like I've said before the guy has been a complete and utter failure.

s***. Finished. Frail c***.

You know I hate him though. Everything wrong with the club is summed up in that overpaid crock of s***.

He's played more games and scored more goals than Martins this season.

What are your opinions on Martins?

You know I hate him though. Everything wrong with the club is summed up in that overpaid crock of s***.

I'm not comparing him to anyone I'm talking about Owen. Martins has been pretty shite this season though...

This is not an opinion on what I think of Martins or Owen but I wonder If Owen Suffers alot because he doesn`t wear his heart on his sleeve like all the Newcastle Favourites. He doesn`t get angry on the outside when he misses or messes up like Martins does, so people percive this as not caring or trying.  He doesn`t do cart wheels when he scores etc. He won`t do a crazy tackle whwe are loosing, he won`t get booked and let off on the ref when things are shit.

For some reason I find Martins more interesting to watch mainly because of the unpredicability but he has been fairly poor this season, touch,passing,awareness,shots, confidence and fitness.

One thing I have noticed about Owen is he won`t loose the ball and pass poorly like the rest and his passes are always spot on and constructive hence Keegan using him behind the strikers.

It seems to me that Owen can be a threat for us, even despite his injuries.  But for him to become that threat much of the team has to be built around accommodating Owen's diminishing pace and his new role within the team.

That would be fine if it wasn't for his injury record.  By the time he's back up to full fitness and scoring goals he seems to manage 2-3 games before he's injured again, after that the cycle starts again, he comes back, takes time to regain fitness and form before he gets injured yet again.

We need to find a way to win without Owen, his presence in the team shouldn't be a distraction or an encumbrance but a bonus.  Right now it's not.

in the league Owen and Martins have the same amount of goals from open play, with Owen having played 4 more games

in the league Owen and Martins have the same amount of goals from open play, with Owen having played 4 more games

Hardly huge difference.

What's your opinion on Martins? Frail? Finished?

Guest Phil K
ass kissing tbh, changing your opinion overnight would be.

Hes playing very little through injurys - All his fault ? No.

Thats a matter for discussion.

I feel very suspicious when he makes no effort to turn out for NUFC but suddenly makes an effort late in the season to make the World Cup squad.

I also repeat - before the Man City game, I had an open bet he would be "injured" before half an hour was out against the team he is supposedly going to join next season - and guess what happened ?

I am anything BUT convinced at all of  his injuries.

No doubting his qualities - seeing some evidence of them for NUFC would be nice

Hardly huge difference.

What's your opinion on Martins? Frail? Finished?

some key differences here:

Martins hasn't been on the wain for the past 5 years, and he most certainly is not as prone to injury as Owen, this season not withstanding.

Martins IS improving. He's using the ball this season much better than he did when he first arrived and he's still the player I fancy more than any other in the squad to stick the ball in the back of the net

Some of the flak Owen takes is certainly unreasonable - he's still a decent to good calibre forward who is struggling in the wrong team. But at the same time, some of it is deserved. For me personally, there's two sticking points:

1) First and foremost, as a player for us and us alone, performance wise he's been s*** up front imo. The only spell he's had where he's looked a good player on a consistent basis is the spell in midfield under Keegan, which was three or four months in total. Up front, most of the time he's either been useless or he's managed to convert the odd sitter that's come his way, with absolutely nothing in between except for missing other sitters that he's spent all game hoping to get. No assists, no creativity, no flank play, no creating chances for himself, no harrying defenders, no presence, nothing. Hardly the sort of striker worthy of comments like "he's still one of the best in the league" or "he'll keep us up". I'd be willing to bet that had Keegan not moved him into midfield, we'd probably have been relegated with Owen up front, because the team simply isn't good enough to provide the service that Owen would want to score regularly (in fact, few teams at any level are, which is probably why Capello wants nothing to do with Owen). Maybe Owen will suddenly start tucking away those sitters, certainly he's capable of doing so, but based on his performances for us up front over the past year or two, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation of him finding a new lease of life. So if he's not scoring, and he's quite often not, I'd rather he took his £100k+ weekly wage elsewhere, and forget that we ever signed him. Even if he does keep us up by scoring 4 or 5 goals in the remaining fixtures and earning a good deal of praise from us before he leaves, I still hope he goes, because the team is never going to improve with such an injury prone, difficult-to-service, difficult-to-partner forward hogging both a slot on the team's "star player" allocation as well as a sizeable chunk of the club's wage budget. When mediocre players like Ameobi and Lovenkrands form (on the face of it) better or more effective partnerships with Martins, I can't help but think that with a bit of investment, scouting and luck, we'll get a decent striker with good attributes that the team can work with and rely on over the course of a season, a striker who will contribute to the team regularly and not leave us in this position of sweating over the fitness of Mr Glass come the end of the season because we need his goals to keep us up.

2) He's as much a mercenary as some of those who get stick and vitriol from us, based on what he's done with us as opposed to what he's said in the media. First of course, stating he had no interest in signing for us - fair enough, his circumstances changed, and after downing a few pints, the ugly cow with a boil boil on her nose (that's us) turned into a fair maiden with big jugs who would help him as he skipped down the road to worldwide fame and glory before he left for pastures anew. But then, after two years of being constantly injured with us, the first thing he did wasn't to get fit and repay his employers for the year or two of lost wages and the massive fee spent on him, but to contrive with his agents the best way to get a half-priced move away from the club (as confirmed by our former enlightened chairman when telling a few scousers in an adjacent vehicle what the situation was). He kept schtum for nearly two/three months of fervent speculation whilst this was happening - quite obviously he said nothing because his agents were trying to flog him to whoever could have him, and he didn't want to lie in case a move materialised a few days after him denying such a thing was possible, with the result being that the nation's former golden boy and consumate professional who sponsors adore would be turned into a lying toerag in the eyes of many supporters overnight.

N'Zogbia has been lambasted by many of our fans because he openly said he wanted away - I believe Owen to be a bigger c*** in a slightly different way, in that he didn't even have the decency to say what he truly wanted just in case he had to run back to us. Both players were unsavoury in their behaivour and I can understand the thinking that it's more professional to keep things private and avoid dragging the club through the mud via the press, but as an analogy, here we had this useless, ungrateful girlfriend who had done nothing in the relationship ever since it began whilst we had done re-mortgaged the house to buy her a mountain of gifts, going behind our backs trying her best to seduce other blokes in an attempt to get something better, all the while not saying anything to us in case she failed in her attempts to woo someone and had to settle with us temporarily until she was in a position to leave without it hitting her pocket. In my book, that's far worse than an admittedly moody/arrogant but ultimately underappreciated girlfriend who had constantly been overlooked and mistreated for years despite good service, someone we had taken for granted because we had "found" her and made her what she is, frequently undermined in the presence of other less well equipped girls who we were obsessed with due to reputation, and when our latest cuntish behaivour also included calling her by an amusing yet insulting homonym, she shouted out in front of everyone in the restaurant that she no longer wanted anything to do with us and wanted to end the relationship ASAP. One's honest although embarassing us in public, but most importantly being justified about their actions, the other is slimy, ungrateful, and sticking the knife in the back whilst smiling to our face and empyting our pockets.

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/837/837504/simpsons_FuneralForAFiend_v2f_1196109717.jpg

Owen's approach to NUFC and all related contractual negotiations.