A Very Fair Assessment Of Owen

Crumpy Gunt

he's finished as a premiership footballer imo, he's had too many injuries and can't adapt his game

he'll be lucky to be earning 50k a week next season, not the 125k he's on here

Bollocks. 9 goals under Keegan last season, in something like 17 games. He's a very clever player, but useless if he doesn't get to take part in the game.

people are fond of quoting these statistics yet dont take into account the fact that his record for us is less than 1 in 2 if you take away penalties and goals are all he gives the team anyway.

He isn' the same the league as an Inzaghi as a poacher and at somewhere like Man City he's a long way behind Bellamy as a footballer. He'll do ok for a mid-table club next season perhaps but he wont excel at the top level again.

I bet he's scored more for us than Inzaghi would have with the same service / set up.

Also, saturday evening proved why penalties count as goals.

Some parts of that article ring uncomfortbaly true in all honesty. I don't know how much there is in the rumour about the neck and back problems but he clearly couldn't run properly when he came on on Saturday. Doesn't surprise me that he didn't go back on the team bus either,leaving with Nicky Butt instead, the two players who are always ready to defend each other through the media.

Thank fuck we withdrew that new contract offer before Owen realised he isn't in as much demand as he thought.

Guest Phil K

Thank f*** we withdrew that new contract offer before Owen realised he isn't in as much demand as he thought.

I'll laugh my dick off if he's lumbered and has to come begging for the old contract he was offered.

Citeh would be crazy if they went in for a player with such a love of sick notes.

And if anyone says players CAN change their ways -

All we have to do is point to that ars*hole Dyer at WHU

Thank f*** we withdrew that new contract offer before Owen realised he isn't in as much demand as he thought.

I'll laugh my dick off if he's lumbered and has to come begging for the old contract he was offered.

Citeh would be crazy if they went in for a player with such a love of sick notes.

And if anyone says players CAN change their ways -

All we have to do is point to that ars*hole Dyer at WHU

Christ!  I forgot about him, wasn't he due back when they played us? What a waste of money he's been for them.

As for Owen, last season was last season. He's a changed player this season, he's unfit, he's a bit porky and he definitely has no interest in motivating his players as club captain. But if Man City don't sign him who's going to get lumbered?

He can't wait to be the next Mick Channon I reckon.

Guest toonlass

he's finished as a premiership footballer imo, he's had too many injuries and can't adapt his game

he'll be lucky to be earning 50k a week next season, not the 125k he's on here

Bollocks. 9 goals under Keegan last season, in something like 17 games. He's a very clever player, but useless if he doesn't get to take part in the game.

Or when he doesn't want to get involved in the game either. Too often he makes himself unavailable. He is not a team player by any stretch of the imagination, and is not fit to wear the captains armband, by his disinterested and arrogant attitude.

Been looking forward to the day he leaves for a couple of years now.

One of the worst signings we've ever made.

I could name at least 25 worse signings tbh

Given how there's probably been 1000+ players for us in our history, Shak probably isn't far off the mark. :pow:

What other players of Owens ability could we possibly have gotten at that time for a club in our position under Souness ? Realistically it is far more likely that the money would have been wasted on other rubbish just as Souness did with Luque & Boumsong.

I fail to see how owen is anywhere near close to being a disasterous signing. As said, without him we may not even be in this division anymore. So many of you have rose tinted glasses on as if Newcastle is normally incredibly likely to spend our money on pure quality and Owen ruined it all for us.

Its all complete bs aint it. As soon as he gets a couple goals most of you against him will be kissing his ass. Most of the criticism against him isnt based in reality, but just a general repetition of "he barely touches the ball"....which always fails to include any reason as to why this is realistically his fault based on Newcastles tactics.

What other players of Owens ability could we possibly have gotten at that time for a club in our position under Souness ? Realistically it is far more likely that the money would have been wasted on other rubbish just as Souness did with Luque & Boumsong.

I fail to see how owen is anywhere near close to being a disasterous signing. As said, without him we may not even be in this division anymore. So many of you have rose tinted glasses on as if Newcastle is normally incredibly likely to spend our money on pure quality and Owen ruined it all for us.

Its all complete bs aint it. As soon as he gets a couple goals most of you against him will be kissing his ass. Most of the criticism against him isnt based in reality, but just a general repetition of "he barely touches the ball"....which always fails to include any reason as to why this is realistically his fault based on Newcastles tactics.

Anelka was willing to come.

Guest westamfan

As an observer I'm pretty shocked by some of the comments re:Michael Owen

When he's not been injured he's always looked dangerous.

The injury he suffered was because that fcuking prick Sven picked Peter Crouch as his only available striker for the world cup and rushed Owen back too quick.

You guys were compensated a huge amount for this and those reported 125k (is it me or has that gone up 10k a week in the papers for every year he's been with you?) isn't paid in full while he's injured.

I guess the comments are just angry posters looking for someone to blame for the mess you're currently in?

Anelka was willing to come.

Not proven other than words from Souness, he was also thought to have a big attitude problem at that time also. Could easily have blown up in our face, especially under Souness of all people. As i say, rose tinted glasses. Everything other than Owen would supposedly have turned out perfectly for us. No one knows, it certainly isnt Owens fault regardless.

Guest Heneage

Debate Anelka's problems he seems to have been on best behavior at Chelsea, and I think if anyone expected him to stick around at Bolton they'd be mad.

Guest Chubby Jason

His best position is behind the 2 forwards, Keegan showed that last season. How many times has this man been written off? He's still a class player but unfortunatley is made of glass, such a shame.

Why is there so much hate towards him? At least he is seeing out his contract and has never come out and said he wants to leave or even hinted at it, this, unlike "Oba" who seem to do it every month or so and is still everyone's favourite player.

I imagine the hate comes from fans bitter at his huge wages given how much time he seems to spend not playing for us. There is this stigma attached to him that he doesn't want to be here (which has existed from day one), and that he is therefore not emotionally attached to the club. I suppose it is easier to hate on someone like him than lesser players who appear to be more attached to the club.

I don't think either reasons (or any others) are close to being worthy of the vitriol the guy gets from some people, particularly when his goal record for us when he's actually played is very impressive. He doesn't get injured on purpose, and his wages were offered to him, it's the club paying them, so blame the club first and foremost for that one. He's also not once said a thing that I would call 'wrong'.

I imagine the hate comes from fans bitter at his huge wages given how much time he seems to spend not playing for us. There is this stigma attached to him that he doesn't want to be here (which has existed from day one), and that he is therefore not emotionally attached to the club. I suppose it is easier to hate on someone like him than lesser players who appear to be more attached to the club.

I don't think either reasons (or any others) are close to being worthy of the vitriol the guy gets from some people, particularly when his goal record for us when he's actually played is very impressive. He doesn't get injured on purpose, and his wages were offered to him, it's the club paying them, so blame the club first and foremost for that one. He's also not once said a thing that I would call 'wrong'.

Good post.

Amen. At the part in bold especially.

Where people say that Owen is the epitomy of everything wrong with the club, i agree entirely - but not down to the player himself. Just because he's a stand-out fragment of a club that is run horrendously badly, from top to bottom.

Exactly.

This clubs fans are in a league of their own when it comes to criticizing your own players.  You get the impression some people would rather see Owen miss a chance than put it away as it would give them one more reason to have a go at the guy.  It's a joke.

right or wrong, I suspect he's going to be the next victim of the SJP boo boys

Maybe its because he deserves to be. The bloke offers no value for money whatsoever. Against Hull and his cameo v Arsenal left us effectively a man short. Also, to suggest he's not injury prone then admit the worst of his injuries where caused when he himself knew he wasn't anywhere near match fit also show how self centred he is.

And as I've said before he's done NOTHING from day one to endear himself to the supporters of the club he captains.

Oh yes, he can score goals. He's proved that in his 64 games in the last 4 years.