"Cloughie" documentary

madras

Revie sold his soul for the Arab money whilst England manager....Brian Clough became possibly the greatest ever English club manager...nice in hindsight to see who the good guy was.

rumour has it he knew he was ill so took one last pay day away from the hassle of the england job (he was getting a load of grief off the press before he left)

League titles with Derby and Notts Forest, and two European Cups. That still has me shaking my head whenever I think about it. Surely no manager has ever achieved so much with so little.

different times altogether, think of the likes of malmo reaching the champions league final.

Revie sold his soul for the Arab money whilst England manager....Brian Clough became possibly the greatest ever English club manager...nice in hindsight to see who the good guy was.

rumour has it he knew he was ill so took one last pay day away from the hassle of the england job (he was getting a load of grief off the press before he left)

He announced his illnesss in 1987,10 years after jumping the England ship,and he died in '89.It was his last pay day because the FA banned him for 10 years.

He announced his illnesss in 1987,10 years after jumping the England ship,and he died in '89.It was his last pay day because the FA banned him for 10 years.

he'd been ill for a long time before he announced it.

like i say it's a rumour.

League titles with Derby and Notts Forest, and two European Cups. That still has me shaking my head whenever I think about it. Surely no manager has ever achieved so much with so little.

This - the guy was clearly the best manager in English football history because he achieved his successes with small clubs of limited resources and made 3rd Div young players like McFarland into England internationals...even Fergie didn't handle Keane as well as Cloughie did, and he was past his prime by then.

Def the greatest, although with character flaws - but nobody is perfect - would have been an amazing success at NUFC and made us the greatest club in Britain.

He did break the transfer record by double with Forest though don't forget.

they'd won the title before francis joined.

I know that. So it was earned so to speak, but just thought it deserved a mention.

I know that. So it was earned so to speak, but just thought it deserved a mention.

What I don't think really came out from that documentary was just how ordinary a collection of individuals that Forest side were, that won the league in 1978. On paper, they didn't look any better than any other promoted side - ie largely consisting of players who hadn't quite made the big time and had sunk to what appeared to be their correct level in the Second Division. Somehow he got them consistently playing at top form for 90 minutes each game, week after week.

I can remember that everyone was assuming at first that it was just another case of a promoted side enjoying a honeymoon period in the top division. We were all waiting for them to blow up, but it didn't happen. Half way through the season, they went to Old Trafford and absolutely pissed on Man U 4-0, and it was only then that people realised it was for real. That season they also won the League cup, and went on a record unbeaten run that eventually stretched into next season and 42 games.

Really, nothing like that has ever happened before or since. Fergie with his 40+ trophies has to be Number 1, but this was surely the finest managerial achievement in history.

What I don't think really came out from that documentary was just how ordinary a collection of individuals that Forest side were, that won the league in 1978. On paper, they didn't look any better than any other promoted side - ie largely consisting of players who hadn't quite made the big time and had sunk to what appeared to be their correct level in the Second Division. Somehow he got them consistently playing at top form for 90 minutes each game, week after week.

I can remember that everyone was assuming at first that it was just another case of a promoted side enjoying a honeymoon period in the top division. We were all waiting for them to blow up, but it didn't happen. Half way through the season, they went to Old Trafford and absolutely pissed on Man U 4-0, and it was only then that people realised it was for real. That season they also won the League cup, and went on a record unbeaten run that eventually stretched into next season and 42 games.

Really, nothing like that has ever happened before or since. Fergie with his 40+ trophies has to be Number 1, but this was surely the finest managerial achievement in history.

All of the players he bought when they got promoted,were known good players,but with something to prove,Kenny Burns' disciplinary problem,Larry Lloyd's suspect attitude with back injuries and Peter Shilton who'd lost his England spot.Great signings all 3.

It's funny that there's more coverage of football than ever before and yet there's nowhere near as much honesty about as there was in that Yorkshire TV interview etc.

Would love to see that interview with him and Revie in full.

Check out the 2nd post in this thread. Instructions are in there. :)

Dunno how I missed that  ???

Ta mate.

All of the players he bought when they got promoted,were known good players,but with something to prove,Kenny Burns' disciplinary problem,Larry Lloyd's suspect attitude with back injuries and Peter Shilton who'd lost his England spot.Great signings all 3.

not to mention the "journeyman" peter withe.

We could debate all night about how good the likes of Kenny Burns were, but in a way that misses the point. They ended up at Notts Forest because the bigger and more successful clubs didn't want them. Clough had the ability to get something from players that other managers couldn't.

Shilton was the one big buy in that 1978 side, but even then that was a big reflection on Clough's judgement. He placed the correct value on a good goalkeeper.

There were others in that side - Frank Clark, Ian Bowyer, John McGovern, Dave Needham, John O'Hare - who were indisputably ordinary. And yet stick them in that Forest side, and they were able to dominate opponents of much more ability.

What I remember about that Forest side was how confident they were. Any side can play well for 10 minutes in a purple patch during a game - it's something that comes and goes during a game - like ourselves for a period of 20 minutes against Arsenal. Somehow Clough could get that kind of performance from his players not just in flashes, but over a whole game, and in every game. Somehow he invaded their heads and got them believing in themselves.

That Forest team was a real phenomenon. The word genius is overworked, but if there is such a thing, then Clough was one.

But didn't Taylor identify the players, Clough signed and coached them. Massive shame that they fell out and didn't speak before Taylor died, they were probably the best ever manager-assistant manager combination ever.

We could debate all night about how good the likes of Kenny Burns were, but in a way that misses the point. They ended up at Notts Forest because the bigger and more successful clubs didn't want them. Clough had the ability to get something from players that other managers couldn't.

Shilton was the one big buy in that 1978 side, but even then that was a big reflection on Clough's judgement. He placed the correct value on a good goalkeeper.

There were others in that side - Frank Clark, Ian Bowyer, John McGovern, Dave Needham, John O'Hare - who were indisputably ordinary. And yet stick them in that Forest side, and they were able to dominate opponents of much more ability.

What I remember about that Forest side was how confident they were. Any side can play well for 10 minutes in a purple patch during a game - it's something that comes and goes during a game - like ourselves for a period of 20 minutes against Arsenal. Somehow Clough could get that kind of performance from his players not just in flashes, but over a whole game, and in every game. Somehow he invaded their heads and got them believing in themselves.

That Forest team was a real phenomenon. The word genius is overworked, but if there is such a thing, then Clough was one.

I agree but my main point was that they all had something to prove...internationals who were never going to be signed by the Liverpools of this world,because of supposed stigmas they had attached to them.Clough and Taylor made these guys along with the run-of the-mill players you mentioned into world-beaters.Clough also built a good side in the late '80's which was built on the Forest youth system,Des Walker,Steve Chettle,Scott Gemmill and inexpensive quality players,Stuart Pearce and Neil Webb.Pure genius.