Whitley Bay win the FA Vase

Crumpy Gunt

Guest icemanblue

Get in. Used to play with Paul Chow, at Hedworthfield 5-a-side, when I was a young'un.

Get in. Used to play with Paul Chow, at Hedworthfield 5-a-side, when I was a young'un.

He's an absolutely brilliant centre forward, like. This is the second time he's scored in every single round of the Vase, and he's also scored in every Vase final (4 in 3).

Guest Jonny

I was at the final yesterday for the third year in a row, another great day out although this year Whitley faced their toughest challenge. Coalville were a very good side and kept the ball for long periods, at times Whitley struggled to keep the ball at all.  We were lucky in many ways, Coalville hit the post twice from close range and had a goal disallowed. Whitley ‘keeper Terry Burke was man of the match, his three tops saves in the second half kept Whitley ahead/ in the game. The main difference was the clinical nature of Whitley’s goals, I can only assume that we had more confidence playing at Wembley.

What Whitley Bay have achieved is pretty phenomenal, looking back the last time they lost in the Vase would have been in the semi final of the 2007/08 season- the amount of games and minutes unbeaten will be huge! Plus the amount of goals Paul Chow has scored in the competition has got to be a record!

Highlights are online now on the FA website:  http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFAVase/Match%20Centre/CoalvilleTown-WhitleyBay/coalville-2-3-Whitley-bay-report

I was there yesterday for the 2nd time to watch Whitley (couldn't make it last year but went in 2009) and it was another great day. Probably a bit lucky in the end as Coalville had more possesion and chances but the spirit and commitment of the Whitley Bay players is something else and special mentions go to Terry Burke in goal who hasn't been a regular starter this season and the goal machine that is Paul Chow. Also great to see so many faces I recognised from NUFC away games down there to support them.

My Wembley record is starting to look a bit more respectable now as well: Defeats in 1996, 1998, 1999 & 2000 and victories in 2009, 2011.