Mick Lowes

Benwell Lad

Not exactly Luque's biggest fan but he should have played from the start on Saturday because 1) He scored the winner against Palermo playing in a role that doesn't suit him. 2) We didn't have anyone else. 3) He should get a chance - 2 or 3 starts in a row in the league - so we can at least make a proper assessment on whether or not he's remotely cut out to play over here.

As for Rossi, I think the lad has a great first touch and is going to be a good player. Both times I've seen him though he's faded badly after the break. What the fuck does Roeder expect though? He's barely started a senior match in his life and he's also a second striker rather than someone leading the line. And he's got Duff - out of form and out of position - alongside him.

Anyway, my thoughts are clear: Play Luque left of Sibierski or Carroll with Milner right of them. That's what I'd like to see happen.

Gemmill you have your own ideas about Luque and who should play up front and fair enough, I'm sure yours are as valid as mine and vice versa, no point arguing the toss though because its all meaningless really. I'll agree to disagree, lets just hope we get out of this mess whoever plays.  :thup:

Have you ever seen Carroll play?

What the fuck does Roeder expect though? He's barely started a senior match in his life and he's also a second striker rather than someone leading the line.

Could equally be said about Luque for us in Premiership terms. He admits he is not match fit and needs three games in a row to get there and I'm happy to judge how he performs after that, not on a few admitedly mediocre appearences dotted here and there. I'm not expecting him to pull up trees, but see less point in letting him hang out to rot when we are crying out for someone who has the ability to change a game by pulling a goal out his arse Robert stylee.

That totally inadequate Man Utd reserve was the best player on the pitch against Charlton tbh.  And he looks twice the player Luque is.

Rossi looked twice the player Luque was in a game Luque didn't play in?, well thats difficult..  How about we compare both players in a game they both played in, the Shef UTD game.  Rossi was poor and didn't come close to scoring, Luque came on and looked better then him.  Yes Rossi has been playing up front almost by himself.  But the game before Luque had played the same role, probably even more isolated actually, against the top of the table serie A side and scored the winner..  Yet apparently Luque doesn't deserve to play and Rossi does?...

Don't get me wrong, unlike some I'm not pig headed, I think Rossi is a good player and should get a chance.  But so should Luque, preferably both in the same team.  Yet the idiot controlling this team will no doubt continue to play Rossi up front by himself, a position he failed at badley, with the inept Duff backing him up.  What's even more beyond belief in my opinion is that your actually happy with that..

It is all about end product and Luque in 3 starts under Roeder has 3 goals.

But it's not all about end product, is it?  Because you know as well as I do that he's not going to be a prolific goalscorer, despite the few goals he has scored, and so there has to be something else to his game.  I haven't seen ANYTHING to his game, least of all any effort or application, something which is fundamental in a relegation scrap.  Yes, I know goals are more important, but as I've said, Luque is not going to be a prolific goalscorer in the Premiership, we both know that.

To be fair, none of our players are gonna score 20 a season so to use that against Luque is a bit daft. Its about effectiveness from now on. Luque is effective, or has been in the 3 starts he's had under Roeder, that can't be denied.

And given a run who knows, we may then see the other side of the game being brought out of him, like running his nads off etc.

We're asking Rossi to lead the line and he's being chewed up by defenders because a) he's not that type of forward, b) he lacks experience, c) has no real strength and c) he needs games to find some form and by the time that arrives, which may not even happen anyway, he'll be off.

What then?

You seem to think I'm suggesting that Rossi is somehow the answer to all our woes.  In your other post you went on about there being no point building a team around him.  I'm well aware of that.  But as far as our current options up front go, he's the best we've got.  In my opinion. 

You can hang onto this dream that Luque will somehow come good, and this misguided belief that he has this amazing talent that he's just waiting to unleash given a run of games.  You might be right, but there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence to suggest that he's not that good, and he's not that interested. 

Where is the MOUNTAIN of evidence ? He's hardly ever played !

I thought on Satyuday Luque looked a lot more bothered than most in the side after he came on.

See, I can't really have a discussion with you about Luque as I can't for the life of me see what game you were watching where you can write that last sentence with a straight face.  He did NOTHING but pretend to challenge for the ball as a sort of token effort on a few occasions.  And you thought that was acceptable. 

:confused:  Did I say it was acceptable ??

I still think getting beat at SJP is unacceptable - no matter who off - never mind Sheff Utd.  So NO it is not acceptable.

Sorry to have to repeat to you, but what I said was he did OK when he came on for his bit part appearance and DID look bothered.

By your argument do you rate the forwards performances against Charlton and Sheff Utd as acceptable ? You must if you don't want to change them.