Mick Lowes

Benwell Lad

Guest Gemmill

It is all about end product and Luque in 3 starts under Roeder has 3 goals.

But it's not all about end product, is it?  Because you know as well as I do that he's not going to be a prolific goalscorer, despite the few goals he has scored, and so there has to be something else to his game.  I haven't seen ANYTHING to his game, least of all any effort or application, something which is fundamental in a relegation scrap.  Yes, I know goals are more important, but as I've said, Luque is not going to be a prolific goalscorer in the Premiership, we both know that.

To be honest I'd rather give Carroll or Triosi match time than a Manu reserve we've only got till Jan.

Woul dbe different if he was here for the season, but he's not - pointless transfer

Even if the Man United player was significantly better?  Makes no sense tbh. 

Rossi is still a few years off from being "significantly better than everyone we have". Big him up as much as you like but he's hardly Louis Saha, is he?

Yeah, I suggested he was significantly better than two of our reserve players, not "everyone we have".  Nice try though.

He'd have to be, for us to be desperate enough to want to have him on a four-month long loan.

Guest Knightrider

AS for Rossi being our best player against Charlton, he rarely had a touch man and  kept getting the ball trapped under his foot. And he missed a sitter!

Luque poses a danger because defenders forget about him as he shows no interest... then bang he pops up with a header to win the match by ghosting between the centre-backs who fell asleep watching him stand still for so long.

That's what we need, someone who will produce something regardless of how much they sweat, grass covered or how much they're in the game.

Duff is always in the game but he produces fuck all.

We have nowt to loose.

To build a team around a 19 year old bairn who won't even be at the club in January, at this late stage, is fucking stupid.

I'd play Carroll up front to act as the battering ram, to work his arse off, Luque to his left and Milner to his right.

I'd play Zoggy, Butt and Parker in midfield and their job is to protect that back four and feed those front three. Milner's energy and work ethic will see to it that he works that right flank and get back into midfield to make a 4 when off the ball.

I'd tell Luque to do nothing but look for space and bang in anything that falls his way or to take pot shots from any knockdowns as we know he can hit them.

To be honest I'd rather give Carroll or Triosi match time than a Manu reserve we've only got till Jan.

Woul dbe different if he was here for the season, but he's not - pointless transfer

Even if the Man United player was significantly better?  Makes no sense tbh. 

How do we know though?

One of the reserve boys could take to the premiership like ducks to water. As at the 31st August I'd have rather gone with our reserves than a short term fix in a Manu reserve.

Rossi may or may not be better. Until they get a chance we will never know

Guest Knightrider

But it's not all about end product, is it?  Because you know as well as I do that he's not going to be a prolific goalscorer, despite the few goals he has scored, and so there has to be something else to his game.  I haven't seen ANYTHING to his game, least of all any effort or application, something which is fundamental in a relegation scrap.  Yes, I know goals are more important, but as I've said, Luque is not going to be a prolific goalscorer in the Premiership, we both know that.

To be fair, none of our players are gonna score 20 a season so to use that against Luque is a bit daft. Its about effectiveness from now on. Luque is effective, or has been in the 3 starts he's had under Roeder, that can't be denied.

And given a run who knows, we may then see the other side of the game being brought out of him, like running his nads off etc.

We're asking Rossi to lead the line and he's being chewed up by defenders because a) he's not that type of forward, b) he lacks experience, c) has no real strength and c) he needs games to find some form and by the time that arrives, which may not even happen anyway, he'll be off.

What then?

Guest Gemmill

AS for Rossi being our best player against Charlton, he rarely had a touch man and  kept getting the ball trapped under his foot. And he missed a sitter!

Luque poses a danger because defenders forget about him as he shows no interest... then bang he pops up with a header to win the match by ghosting between the centre-backs who fell asleep watching him stand still for so long.

That's what we need, someone who will produce something regardless of how much they sweat, grass covered or how much they're in the game.

Duff is always in the game but he produces fuck all.

We have nowt to loose.

To build a team around a 19 year old bairn who won't even be at the club in January, at this late stage, is fucking stupid.

I'd play Carroll up front to act as the battering ram, to work his arse off, Luque to his left and Milner to his right.

I'd play Zoggy, Butt and Parker in midfield and their job is to protect that back four and feed those front three. Milner's energy and work ethic will see to it that he works that right flank and get back into midfield to make a 4 when off the ball.

I'd tell Luque to do nothing but look for space and bang in anything that falls his way or to take pot shots from any knockdowns as we know he can hit them.

Eh?  Who's talking about building a team around Rossi like?  Not me.

If you can't see the lad's quality that's up to you tbh.  His touch and awareness pissed all over that of most of the rest of the team on that day.  He was always looking for the ball and always looking for options when he had it.  I don't know what game you were watching.

Your claim that Luque lulls defenders into a false sense of security by not looking interested is fucking hilarious though. :lol:  He's just not interested.  It's not part of a grand plan ffs. :lol:

Guest Gemmill

To be fair, none of our players are gonna score 20 a season so to use that against Luque is a bit daft. Its about effectiveness from now on. Luque is effective, or has been in the 3 starts he's had under Roeder, that can't be denied.

And given a run who knows, we may then see the other side of the game being brought out of him, like running his nads off etc.

We're asking Rossi to lead the line and he's being chewed up by defenders because a) he's not that type of forward, b) he lacks experience, c) has no real strength and c) he needs games to find some form and by the time that arrives, which may not even happen anyway, he'll be off.

What then?

You seem to think I'm suggesting that Rossi is somehow the answer to all our woes.  In your other post you went on about there being no point building a team around him.  I'm well aware of that.  But as far as our current options up front go, he's the best we've got.  In my opinion. 

You can hang onto this dream that Luque will somehow come good, and this misguided belief that he has this amazing talent that he's just waiting to unleash given a run of games.  You might be right, but there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence to suggest that he's not that good, and he's not that interested. 

Guest Knightrider

Duff is always in the game but he produces **** all.

We have nowt to loose.

To build a team around a 19 year old bairn who won't even be at the club in January, at this late stage, is ****ing stupid.

If you can't see the lad's quality that's up to you tbh.  His touch and awareness pissed all over that of most of the rest of the team on that day.  He was always looking for the ball and always looking for options when he had it.  I don't know what game you were watching.

Your claim that Luque lulls defenders into a false sense of security by not looking interested is ****ing hilarious though. :lol:  He's just not interested.  It's not part of a grand plan ffs. :lol:

Touch? He kept getting it trapped under his feet, his little spins were good but the ball often ran away from him. He has quick feet granted which opened up space for him once or twice but he was quickly barged off it or crowded out.

I never said you specifically want us o build the team around Rossi either BTW but by playing him that is what WE as in NUFC are effectively looking at, would you agree?

And the Luque comment, believe you me I'm not for one minute claiming that's intentional from him - is it fuck - but that's what happens with him on the pitch, defenders just back off and leaver him to his own devices as they don't epect him to harry, press and chase down things.

Your views on Luque's character and attitude while on the pitch are valid Gemmill but I feel you're allowing your dislike of him as a result of that (again valid) cloud your judgement.

If I'm wrong, tell me, but that's the way it reads.

Anyway for me I just want to see somone put the ball in the net and to be effective, at this stage I couldn't care less whether that player sweats buckets or not or puts himself about.

Parker does that, Moore, Milner, Emre etc. and we're still no better off for it.

Problem is non of us have really seen ANYTHING in his game cos he doesn't actually get to play. What little he's played this season he's done OK.

There again the superb performances of our front players in the recent home games against the mighty Charlton and Sheff Utd probably means we don't need to change anything.

Guest Gemmill

We have nowt to loose.

To build a team around a 19 year old bairn who won't even be at the club in January, at this late stage, is ****ing stupid.

Your claim that Luque lulls defenders into a false sense of security by not looking interested is ****ing hilarious though. :lol:   He's just not interested.  It's not part of a grand plan ffs. :lol:

Touch? He kept getting it trapped under his feet, his little spins were good but the ball often ran away from him. He has quick feet granted which opened up space for him once or twice but he was quickly barged off it or crowded out.

I never said you specifically want us o build the team around Rossi either BTW but by playing him that is what WE as in NUFC are effectively looking at, would you agree?

And the Luque comment, believe you me I'm not for one minute claiming that's intentional from him - is it fuck - but that's what happens with him on the pitch, defenders just back off and leaver him to his own devices as they don't epect him to harry, press and chase down things.

Your views on Luque's character and attitude while on the pitch are valid Gemmill but I feel you're allowing your dislike of him as a result of that (again valid) cloud your judgement.

Anyway for me I just want to see somone put the ball in the net and to be effective, at this stage I couldn't care less whether that player sweats buckets or not or puts himself about.

Parker does that, Moore, Milner, Emre etc. and we're still no better off for it.

HTT, if you accept that we're in a relegation scrap, and I have, then you cannot allow for players like Luque in the team.  You have all but admitted that he looks disinterested on the pitch because he IS disinterested.  You cannot have a player like that in a club battling against the drop.  If you look at the Palermo game, if Milner hadn't put that inch perfect cross in, there was no way Luque was challenging for a header in that game.  That's not good enough.  Now I don't want to get into this business of saying the ball just landed on his head, cos that's childish - at the end of the day, he scored, and good luck to the lad.  But at the same time, you have to look at things like that and think to yourself that if you took that one cross out of the equation, what did he actually do that game?  Nothing really.  Then imagine all of the other games that he would play in where the perfect cross won't come in, and all you've really got is a passenger who won't score goals and won't do anything else.

We can't afford that.  No team can.

Hypothetically, I'm still prepared to give Luque a chance personally, after all that's been said and done, he's still only started something like 11 games, and has a reasonable goal record in those. I'm also hanging on to the fact that he was excellent in Spain and has not shown us all he can.

However, while I think he'd come good in a set-up like Arsenal's or Liverpool's, where he can perform gradually without so much pressure on him (Kuyt, Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky all looking good from this method of doing things unlike the fucking shambles this place is), he is definitely not the player we need in a relegation scrap right now. His time here is up in all honesty. Pity none of our other players look ready for the battle at the bottom either like.

Rossi has looked totally out of his depth in the premiership although he was canny against Portsmouths reserve team. I like how someone said Rossi is 'significantly better' than any of our youngsters. How could anyone say that have they seen these youngsters playing week in week out like?

We need hard working strikers, both Shearer and Shola got back and helped out, its not just all about goals.

Maybe it should be just about goals and may very well be in a team that is stronger alover the pitch, but to let Luque just wander around whilst everyone else works is just not good enough. He does not close down, does not make runs and well does he know whata tackle is ?

Three starts, three goals makes him sound so much better than  he really is.

Guest Knightrider

What then?

You seem to think I'm suggesting that Rossi is somehow the answer to all our woes.  In your other post you went on about there being no point building a team around him.  I'm well aware of that.  But as far as our current options up front go, he's the best we've got.  In my opinion. 

You can hang onto this dream that Luque will somehow come good, and this misguided belief that he has this amazing talent that he's just waiting to unleash given a run of games.  You might be right, but there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence to suggest that he's not that good, and he's not that interested. 

There is no dream, he'll never do anything at NUFC that will win him a new contract for example. I don't see him as some kind of saviour either if that's what you're getting at. I see him as the most effective forward player we have from a bad bunch at this moment in time, which he is a member of because he's not a goalscorer in the Owen or Shearer sense, he's not even a striker is he, but whenever he's started under Roeder he's scored or done something, even if it is just one thing, that makes you think given a run he could be effective.

He played shite in Palermo but he was effective. Rossi played OK against Charlton but wasn't.

I'll take effectiveness over good individual performances. Luque wouldn't get a look in if we were trying for 4th in the table, but we aren't, we are in a mess, and ironically the last player you'd look to is the only player who looks likely to do something for us - Luque.

What then?

Where is the MOUNTAIN of evidence ? He's hardly ever played !

I thought on Satyuday Luque looked a lot more bothered than most in the side after he came on.

Guest Gemmill

What then?

Where is the MOUNTAIN of evidence ? He's hardly ever played !

I thought on Satyuday Luque looked a lot more bothered than most in the side after he came on.

See, I can't really have a discussion with you about Luque as I can't for the life of me see what game you were watching where you can write that last sentence with a straight face.  He did NOTHING but pretend to challenge for the ball as a sort of token effort on a few occasions.  And you thought that was acceptable. 

Guest Gemmill

Rossi has looked totally out of his depth in the premiership although he was canny against Portsmouths reserve team. I like how someone said Rossi is 'significantly better' than any of our youngsters. How could anyone say that have they seen these youngsters playing week in week out like?

It was me that said that.  It's an assumption based on the fact that we never bring anyone through our youth setup that turns out to be any good.  And whilst all it is is an assumption, I think it's probably a fair one. 

Guest Knightrider

We have nowt to loose.

Your claim that Luque lulls defenders into a false sense of security by not looking interested is ****ing hilarious though. :lol:  He's just not interested.  It's not part of a grand plan ffs. :lol:

And the Luque comment, believe you me I'm not for one minute claiming that's intentional from him - is it **** - but that's what happens with him on the pitch, defenders just back off and leaver him to his own devices as they don't epect him to harry, press and chase down things.

HTT, if you accept that we're in a relegation scrap, and I have, then you cannot allow for players like Luque in the team.  You have all but admitted that he looks disinterested on the pitch because he IS disinterested.  You cannot have a player like that in a club battling against the drop.  If you look at the Palermo game, if Milner hadn't put that inch perfect cross in, there was no way Luque was challenging for a header in that game.  That's not good enough.  Now I don't want to get into this business of saying the ball just landed on his head, cos that's childish - at the end of the day, he scored, and good luck to the lad.  But at the same time, you have to look at things like that and think to yourself that if you took that one cross out of the equation, what did he actually do that game?  Nothing really.  Then imagine all of the other games that he would play in where the perfect cross won't come in, and all you've really got is a passenger who won't score goals and won't do anything else.

We can't afford that.  No team can.

I've excepted we're in a relegation fight and I actually believe we could go down.

Normaly I'd agree that Luque isn't the player you want in your team when you're down at the bottom, but what are the other options? As far as I see it everyone is a much of a muchness. For Luque's attitude read Rossie's inexperience and stature, for Rossie's inexperience and stature, read Sibierski's age and the fact he's a midfielder and so on and so on.

Like I've said, we need someone who is effective and Luque is an effective player. He may not run himself into the ground, bully defenders or sweat for the team by chasing thhings down but he'll grab goals and take shots. I don't have the confidence in others doing that and while I'm not 100% confident Luque can score goals regularly, I refer back to his 3 goals in 3 starts, all despite playing rather shite. Some players just have that nack, Garcia is the same at Liverpool, he's shite, he gets pushed off the ball, doesn't work hard, his passes go astray, he tries fancy tricks in his own half that never come off and you think, why are they even playing him. Then he scores a goal and you think that's why.

We are running out of options. What if Rossi plays and leaves here in january without a Prem goal to his name for us, what if we don't have the money to buy a striker? Do we then turn to Luque?

Put him in now, give him some games, if after 5 or 6 games he hasn't scored or created any for others, drop him. Lets face it Duff is doing neither but he still plays, Rossi hasn't looked like scoring, Martins is hit and miss. Meanwhile in the 3 starts he's had under Roeder he's scored 3 goals, all while looking shit.

I'm of the opinion we have fuck all to lose. For every Luque weakness I can pick a few in others to make things pretty even between him and those vying for players.

Guest Knightrider

Anyway, my thoughts are clear: Play Luque left of Sibierski or Carroll with Milner right of them. That's what I'd like to see happen.

Gemmill you have your own ideas about Luque and who should play up front and fair enough, I'm sure yours are as valid as mine and vice versa, no point arguing the toss though because its all meaningless really. I'll agree to disagree, lets just hope we get out of this mess whoever plays.  :thup:

Guest Knightrider

One last thing, had Luque not been on the pitch to put Milner's fantastic cross in, who would have been? Works both ways Gemmill.

Had Luque not picked up an injury in his second game we might not be having this discussion, or had we bought Darren bent instead and so on and so on....

To be fair if you ask any of the reserve watching regulars they'll tell you the youngsters are miles away from being good enough for the first team. That's right, isn't it NSG et al?

Yes.

Like I've said, we need someone who is effective and Luque is an effective player. He may not run himself into the ground, bully defenders or sweat for the team by chasing thhings down but he'll grab goals and take shots. I don't have the confidence in others doing that and while I'm not 100% confident Luque can score goals regularly, I refer back to his 3 goals in 3 starts, all despite playing rather shite. Some players just have that nack, Garcia is the same at Liverpool, he's shite, he gets pushed off the ball, doesn't work hard, his passes go astray, he tries fancy tricks in his own half that never come off and you think, why are they even playing him. Then he scores a goal and you think that's why.

actually, Luis Garcia is one of our most hard working players. He also has been told to not try things in his own half ;) And he dosen't now. He's very effective at home at unlocking defences when teams try to pack the defence. And scores loads of goals from midfield, many of them in the big games. He gets a fair few assists as well.

Maybe there are similarities between 'em, but if Luque lacks effort - then that is one thing not the same between 'em. Garcia has always worked hard for the team and will tackle (poorly ;) ) and do his share of dirty work. He never ever hides however he's playing.

Guest smoggeordie

To be fair if you ask any of the reserve watching regulars they'll tell you the youngsters are miles away from being good enough for the first team. That's right, isn't it NSG et al?

Aye, light years away mate