Quantity versus Quality

afar

The job of rebuilding NUFC, after this disastrous season begins in less than a month but how should approach it?

The old adage of “Quality over quantity” is a philosophy I think to a degree we have attempted to implement with our transfer policy in the past. The likes of Owen, Duff, Viduka, Collocini, all fit into the quality category in terms of their past reputations. Spending 16 million on one striker or 10 million on one defender, seriously compromised our spending on other areas.

I believe we need to look towards a more long term strategy and build in two phases, if we survive, we need to first of build a team that returns us to mid table obscurity. Then once established again, look to push on to challenge for Europe.

There are plenty examples of teams turning things around quickly, from being relegation candidates to Euro contenders. Everton would have one bad season followed by one good season with regularity, until they found their consistency a few years ago. Villa were in an awful mess until the new chairman and MON turned them into euro challengers the minute they walked in the door and Fulham this year, after looking down and out for much of last season, have an excellent chance of qualifying for Europe this season.

The temptation will be that a few quality signings would have us emulating these teams and back where we should be. However I don’t believe this should be our policy, IMO we need a new way of thinking. What we’ve suffered from in recent years is a lack of competition. We need players to push each other for their place in the team, it’s been all too easy for certain players living off their past reputations knowing full well that there is no one ready to take their place. Of course this policy has back fired on us with our appalling injury record leaving certain positions exposed.

First and foremost I believe we should be looking to create that competition at every position, we need many more players capable of playing in the first team, and a few less “stars”. We need to be looking for players with the hunger, potential and desire to compete for a first team spot and not for the next saviour at a problem position. No more Boumsongs, no more Collocinis, no more Luques and no more Owens.

If we retain our PL status this year, hopefully this will be a reality check for the club and the supporters to lower our expectations and accept a long term process of rebuilding. For now I vote the right kind of quantity over the wrong kind of quality.

What's the point of quantity if it means signings like Nolan and Taylor? Today we are going into a make or break relegation decider with no proper right winger because Taylor is so bad he can't even be considered. Similarly, Nolan is too shit to replace Barton and so will be left on the bench. Pointless quantity signings.

What's the point of quantity if it means signings like Nolan and Taylor? Today we are going into a make or break relegation decider with no proper right winger because Taylor is so bad he can't even be considered. Similarly, Nolan is too s*** to replace Barton and so will be left on the bench. Pointless quantity signings.

Nolan and Taylor are prime examples of the "wrong" kind of quantity, they are squad fillers who do not fill the criteria of being hungry, willing to fight for a job in the first team and have the potential to get there. They are just happy to be at a "big" club picking up a big wage packet.

These are not the type of quantity I am calling for. Reading comprehension FTW :)

I think it's essential for Shearer to stay in order to move forward.  I say Shearer, but any manager who is willing to continue with the no bullshit policies that he's started will be essential because the type of players the club should look to bring in should be younger, more hungry players who can be molded.  Add in some older players, who are professionals and do it the right way, ie: Habib Beye and you might have something to build on.  So I'd lean quamtity over quality, as long as the players brought in are younger and haven't established themselves yet.  In the right environment, competing for playing time makes everyone better.

I'd like nothing better for Shearer to sit down both Xisco and Carrol and say, "Andy, stop being a dick, work hard in training and you can be the focal point of this offense.  Xisco, the slate is wiped clean, you'll get a chance to show what you've got and win a starting role.  Who ever works harder gets a leg up." I'd let Owen go and bring in a couple of young strikers to compete with Oba.  I'd bring in some young wingers to compete for right and left and push Jonas who has to start finishing play more.  I would try to bring in an experienced guy to be playmaker in the midfield, though. 

In short, bring in quite a few players with some talent, looking to get established and sprinkle in some experience.  The squad has to be pretty much completely revamped and to pin the hopes on 1, 2 or 3 big money players is foolish.  I say it's better to go for quantity over quality at this point and hope that we can build a foundation from which we can build on in the following years.

Basically we need to rewind to the buying policy of Bobby Robson. Young, hungry players rather than clapped out "stars". Nicky Butt being brought in over SBR's head was the start of the decline for me. Of course spotting young talent is easier said than done, it would be great if they all turned out like Bassong. Even so, as a policy it's clearly got more going for it than signing names for the sake of it. Even the likes of Guthrie who has hardly uprooted any trees is a player of value. If we had a midfield full of players like him would we really be worse off than we are now?

Basically we need to rewind to the buying policy of Bobby Robson. Young, hungry players rather than clapped out "stars". Nicky Butt being brought in over SBR's head was the start of the decline for me. Of course spotting young talent is easier said than done, it would be great if they all turned out like Bassong. Even so, as a policy it's clearly got more going for it than signing names for the sake of it. Even the likes of Guthrie who has hardly uprooted any trees is a player of value. If we had a midfield full of players like him would we really be worse off than we are now?

Guthrie lacks the hunger element, for me. He does have the talent to potentially play his part, but seems to lack the drive and ambition to follow that through. The goal he scored againast Pompey away is the type of thing he should be doing more often, but when was the last time we saw him in the that position in a match.

But Guthrie is a young player who has played for four managers this year.  You almost have to throw this year out when evaluating a young player.  Even a seasoned veteran would be unsettled with what has happened this year.  Guthrie fits the profile almost perfectly.  I think he'd be fine as the holding midfielder.  Put him out there for a run of games and see how he does.  In a better environment, some of that hunger may come out as he gains a little confidence.

What's the point of quantity if it means signings like Nolan and Taylor? Today we are going into a make or break relegation decider with no proper right winger because Taylor is so bad he can't even be considered. Similarly, Nolan is too s*** to replace Barton and so will be left on the bench. Pointless quantity signings.

But Guthrie is a young player who has played for four managers this year.  You almost have to throw this year out when evaluating a young player.  Even a seasoned veteran would be unsettled with what has happened this year.  Guthrie fits the profile almost perfectly.  I think he'd be fine as the holding midfielder.  Put him out there for a run of games and see how he does.  In a better environment, some of that hunger may come out as he gains a little confidence.

You have a point 4 managers in one season is going to effect any player. However I look at Bassong and Guthrie and see them both as being of this type of player we need to be targetting. Yet one has taken his chance to shine in the first team and the other has not. Guthrie was given the opportunity to stake his claim for a regular first team spot, due to his own good preseason form and injuries and suspensions to other central midfielders. But he's failed to take that, and when I see him play I just get the overwhelming feeling that he lacks the hunger, he's anomimous in many of the games he plays, he's got the talent so there's something missing there.

You have a point 4 managers in one season is going to effect any player. However I look at Bassong and Guthrie and see them both as being of this type of player we need to be targetting. Yet one has taken his chance to shine in the first team and the other has not. Guthrie was given the opportunity to stake his claim for a regular first team spot, due to his own good preseason form and injuries and suspensions to other central midfielders. But he's failed to take that, and when I see him play I just get the overwhelming feeling that he lacks the hunger, he's anomimous in many of the games he plays, he's got the talent so there's something missing there.

You have a point, too.  Guthrie hasn't exactly siezed the opportunity the way Bassong has.  Still, a stable year under a more demanding manager may help him.

At no point in his career has Guthrie ever promised to be anything more than a very average Premier League player. He may improve slightly but he's nowhere the quality of side with aspirations for the top 6.

He is only good enough for us at the moment because of our woeful midfield.