Frog w(h)ingers

Mowen
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ginola went downhill after the Lee Dixon sending off, and his career with us was over when Dalgleish ignored him.

My dad was always one for grafters like Lee and Beresford, and we used to argue quite a lot about Ginola. I always, always stuck up for him. I remember being 3-0 down to Liverpool and Dalglish brought on Ginola and Asprilla, I turned to my dad and said 'Ginola will change the match'...I admit it was an oversight because he was my favourite player, but part of it stands. That ball he played to Asprilla man, absolutely world class.

If you're going to do things like put Robert in Keegans team then you're ignoring something else, the season Ginola had after he left us.

It boils my blood thinking about Dalglish selling him and getting in Ketbaia, Glass and Hamilton.

Ginola was better than Robert. End of story.

Ginola wasn't fit to shine Robert's shoes man

not with all those ciggies he smoked. however put shoes on both their feet and ginola would leave robert someway behind

Ginola went downhill after the Lee Dixon sending off, and his career with us was over when Dalgleish ignored him.

My dad was always one for grafters like Lee and Beresford, and we used to argue quite a lot about Ginola. I always, always stuck up for him. I remember being 3-0 down to Liverpool and Dalglish brought on Ginola and Asprilla, I turned to my dad and said 'Ginola will change the match'...I admit it was an oversight because he was my favourite player, but part of it stands. That ball he played to Asprilla man, absolutely world class.

If you're going to do things like put Robert in Keegans team then you're ignoring something else, the season Ginola had after he left us.

It boils my blood thinking about Dalglish selling him and getting in Ketbaia, Glass and Hamilton.

both players had fantastic first seasons and poor second seasons for us. i just seem to remember robert wasting so much more possession, playing fantastic crosses when he'd looked up and saw there was no-one there,taking ridiculous shots and free kicks which went nowhere near in the hope that 1 out of 10 might get somewhere near etc

Too right. Obviously Ginola had his bad points; he didnt defend, he tried to do too much at times, and he didnt have that lightening turn of pace from his first season. But it was like he'd been trained in football etiquette, if that makes sense. I always got the impression that Ginola saw it as downright bad manners to misplace a pass or cross. I forgive him a lot of this stuff thought because you always knew it was there waiting to come out. With Robert I was never sure, and under Souness he was absolute dogshite.

under Souness he was often benched for Darren Ambrose, Shearer was shite under Souness, Solano didn't look the same player until Roeder took over

Guest firetotheworks

both players had fantastic first seasons and poor second seasons for us. i just seem to remember robert wasting so much more possession, playing fantastic crosses when he'd looked up and saw there was no-one there,taking ridiculous shots and free kicks which went nowhere near in the hope that 1 out of 10 might get somewhere near etc

Too right. Obviously Ginola had his bad points; he didnt defend, he tried to do too much at times, and he didnt have that lightening turn of pace from his first season. But it was like he'd been trained in football etiquette, if that makes sense. I always got the impression that Ginola saw it as downright bad manners to misplace a pass or cross. I forgive him a lot of this stuff thought because you always knew it was there waiting to come out. With Robert I was never sure, and under Souness he was absolute dogshite.

under Souness he was often benched for Darren Ambrose, Shearer was s**** under Souness, Solano didn't look the same player until Roeder took over

Under Dalglish Ginola was often benched for whoever. The difference being that when Robert left he went on to prove fuck all, and yet Ginola went on to be player of the season for Spurs. Funny that.

Steed Malbranque was player of the year for Spurs, and look where he ended up a few weeks later. What the hell is your point?

he didn't mean the clubs player of the year....he meant the national award, don't you remember............like giggsy just won( :rolleyes:)

Guest firetotheworks

Steed Malbranque was player of the year for Spurs, and look where he ended up a few weeks later. What the hell is your point?

League player of the year. Not Spurs player of the year.

he didn't mean the clubs player of the year....he meant the national award, don't you remember............like giggsy just won( :rolleyes:)

Even better credentials that award like, fucking hell

Ginola's goal record and productivity dont even compare to Robert's man, honestly, how can you people have such short memories?

League player of the year. Not Spurs player of the year.

pfa AND football writer's player of the year. though some of that is off the back of an incredible purple patch around voting time iirc.

Guest firetotheworks

Even better credentials that award like, f***ing hell

Ginola's goal record and productivity dont even compare to Robert's man, honestly, how can you people have such short memories?

We dont, we just possibly have a different definition of what 'better' is. Ginola is a better footballer than Robert. Robert was a better footballer for Newcastle than Ginola. Thats how I see it. Level playing field:Ginola.

stats and fuck all else

We dont, we just possibly have a different definition of what 'better' is. Ginola is a better footballer than Robert. Robert was a better footballer for Newcastle than Ginola. Thats how I see it. Level playing field:Ginola.

fair enough  :thup:

robert. by a mile.

anyone who thinks other has rose tinted specks.

robert offered way more as a goal threat, his return proves that.

Disagree massively with the first sentance. It's very close for me, tough question to answer hence me making the thread. Robert's end product was better than Ginola's, but does that mean he was a better player? That's the debate. I think Ginola was out of this world (first season anyway) and had a lot more natural ability, particularly with respect to retaining the ball and dribbling. Robert was better in many ways but I'd stand by my choice of Ginola being (just) the better of the two.

in terms of natural ability, Jay-Jay Okocha was better than Didier Drogba, does that make him a better player?

no....whats that got to do with anything ?

you're me...but a bit slower.

in terms of natural ability, Jay-Jay Okocha was better than Didier Drogba, does that make him a better player?

no....whats that got to do with anything ?

you're me...but a bit slower.

i'm you but......ah fuck it.

the question is, who was the best winger?

I've seen natural ability used more than once in this thread as a reason why Ginola was better, it doesn't tell half the story

and i've seen pure opta style stats tell another

Guest firetotheworks

Similar to the Berbatov is better than Shearer thing that KD and I was discussed. He was saying Shearer isn't as good a footballer as Berbatov, what he meant was flair. as in Berbatov has more flair than Shearer, but Shearer in the end is a superior footballer because he did his job.

In the case of Robert and Ginola though:

Ginola had more flair than Robert.

Ginola was a better footballer than Robert.

Similar to the Berbatov is better than Shearer thing that KD and I was discussed. He was saying Shearer isn't as good a footballer as Berbatov, what he meant was flair. as in Berbatov has more flair than Shearer, but Shearer in the end is a superior footballer because he did his job.

In the case of Robert and Ginola though:

Ginola had more flair than Robert.

Ginola was a better footballer than Robert.

and i still say ginola done more for the team overall than robert

the question is, who was the best winger?

I've seen natural ability used more than once in this thread as a reason why Ginola was better, it doesn't tell half the story

Nor do the stats. That's the point.

Robert scored and assisted more. Ginola was much better in terms of retaining possession / running with the ball and putting pressure on the opposition.

It's obviously impossible to come to a 'proper' conclusion since they played in different teams at different times, but my opinion is that Ginola was a better player for us. Whether that's because he was in a better team or that he was what made that team better is exactly what's up for debate.

Guest firetotheworks

Robert, in a lesser team, scored more goals and created more. He basically transformed an average team into a good one with his magnificent productivity

Like what Ginola did with Spurs, really. :angel: