The top ten teams of the past 25 years

Frazzle

I didn't know whether to start a new thread on this so can a moderator move if need be, anyway, I thought it was cool:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6789124.ece

1: Arsenal 2001-04

The 2002 team were superb, but the “Invincibles”, who went through the season undefeated two years later, were truly exceptional. Thierry Henry and others were at the peak of their powers, but the main difference between this and subsequent Arsenal sides was in their indomitable spirit and physical strength. No European Cup, but what a team.

2: Manchester United 2006-09

Even Ryan Giggs has questioned whether this is a truly great team, rather than merely a successful one, but their three consecutive titles and two Champions League final appearances have come at a time when the Premier League’s elite is more powerful than ever. The question is whether they can still flourish without Cristiano Ronaldo.

3. Chelsea 2004-2009

We are talking here about the side fashioned by José Mourinho, which still, at its best, bears his hallmark. They are not quite the force they were when they won the Premier League with a record points tally in 2005, but two league titles and a series of near-misses in the Champions League do scant justice to the team that José built.

4: Manchester United 1995-2001

Over six years that yielded five league titles and a long-awaited Champions League success in 1999, United were truly dominant. Four and five-goal victories were ritual, but so too were the comebacks that drew on the character and spirit of Roy Keane, David Beckham and a team for whom winning was second nature.

5: Liverpool 1987-90

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

6: Everton 1984-87

In a heady three-year spell, Howard Kendall led Everton from mediocrity to two league titles, three FA Cup Finals (one victory) and the European Cup Winners’ Cup. Class ran right through this cheaply assembled team, from Neville Southall to the wonderful midfield quartet of Trevor Steven, Paul Bracewell, Peter Reid and Kevin Sheedy.

7: Manchester United 1992-94

Yes they flopped in the Champions League, but Sir Alex Ferguson is not alone in regarding this as his favourite United team. With characters such as Peter Schmeichel, Bryan Robson, Paul Ince, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes, they were a fearsome lot, but they also played some marvellous stuff, with Eric Cantona a talismanic presence up front.

8: Arsenal 1997-99

Not quite as successful in trophy-winning terms as George Graham’s Arsenal, but their double triumph in their first full season under Arsène Wenger was as spectacular as it was unexpected. Wenger built on the foundations of Graham’s celebrated back four, with Marc Overmars, Dennis Bergkamp and a young Nicolas Anelka bringing flair to Highbury at last.

9: Blackburn Rovers 1994-95

Nothing like as eye-catching as Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle but, backed by the wealth of Jack Walker and managed by Kenny Dalglish, they won the title with 89 points in 1995. They relied heavily on the goals of Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton, but this unglamorous team also had an incredible work ethic and, crucially, perfect balance.

10: Newcastle United 1994-96

The only trophy-less team on the list, but Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle will live longer in the memory than Leeds United’s champions of 1992 or Liverpool’s cup treble winners of 2001. Epitomised by the flair of David Ginola, they captivated audiences across the country. Nor was their defensive record as bad as people seem to think.

As the list says, 'the only trophy-less team on the list.'  :snod:

The football that Liverpool played in 1987-88, with John Barnes a mesmerising presence on the left wing, was simply irresistible. They would surely have been higher up this list had the ban on English clubs’ from European competition not denied them the chance to measure themselves against the great AC Milan team of the same era.

Yet the Arsenal team got top spot even though they couldn't do it in Europe?

By all accounts and from what I have seen with all of the great teams Liverpool have had most Liverpool fans and people I have spoken to say that team with Beardsley and Barnes was their best of all of the sides they have had.

I also believe Man Utd's treble winning team were a better team than the 2006-09 one.

Guest Stephen927

What are they basing this on? Man United have won far more titles than Arsenal over 25 years therefore they are the top team.

Guest Stephen927

Don't think it's in any particular order is it?

The way they have the picture of Arsenal at the top of article would suggest so, I'm not sure.

Yet the Arsenal team got top spot even though they couldn't do it in Europe?

By all accounts and from what I have seen with all of the great teams Liverpool have had most Liverpool fans and people I have spoken to say that team with Beardsley and Barnes was their best of all of the sides they have had.

I also believe Man Utd's treble winning team were a better team than the 2006-09 one.

They were the best team I have seen.I remember being dragged to Highfield Road,just after Coventry had won the FA Cup,and in thrashing Coventry 4-1,they gave the most complete performance I've ever witnessed.Barnes,Pedro,Nicol,Houghton,Aldridge were all magnificent that day.

how about Shearer's against Everton?

And why is Maradona v England behind Ronaldo v Porto.

There's loads that've been ignored:  Ronaldo (proper one) v Compostela, Messi v Getafe to name a couple, as well as Shearer like you say.