Steven Taylor: I'm staying

Crumpy Gunt

Why go to everton?  They'll never be right up there.

I predict we'll get into the Champions League again before they ever do.

oh dear.

Why oh dear, it's fact.

Give over man, you having laugh?

Guest Phil K

Its probably fair to say that neither will get to the Champs League in a hurry.

The Prem now is as bad as the Scottish league ever was.

I firmly believe that Everton have got results WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY above their players ability for the past 4 seasons.

Cahill was a master stroke - unintentional maybe. And Lescott isn't worth a tenth of whats being offered for him. Can't blame him for cashing in though.

If Taylor had shown in 5 years what Bassong managed in 30 games he could quite easily be offended. Shearer and Dowie's comments regarding Bassong surely have had no effect on Taylor man  :lol:

Again, i do understand where you're coming from, but you're assuming your objective view onto the lad himself. Obviously it's a fruitless argument as none of us have a john malkovitch style look through into Steven Taylor's head (that would be a fucking odd film).

Guest Roger Kint

If Taylor had shown in 5 years what Bassong managed in 30 games he could quite easily be offended. Shearer and Dowie's comments regarding Bassong surely have had no effect on Taylor man  :lol:

Shearers comments re Bassong were clearly due to him being on crap money(relatively) and only 1 year on his deal. Talking up someone you want to sign up long term is pretty normal.

oh dear.

Why oh dear, it's fact.

Some people need to look up the meaning of fact. Your opinion is not (never in your case) fact.

Shearers comments re Bassong were clearly due to him being on crap money(relatively) and only 1 year on his deal. Talking up someone you want to sign up long term is pretty normal.

The comments were made to Uncle Harry, Shearer wasn't publicly talking him up

Guest sicko2ndbest

Have you stopped to consider how the Bassong comments may have affected him

Both Shearer and Dowie, when talking to Redknapp, said if there was one player they must keep it was Bassong. I bet that felt like a kick in the teeth for Taylor 

what an absolutely ridiculous post. Why on earth would Taylor see that as a kick in the teeth? He isn't quite stupid enough to believe he's anywhere near Bassong as a player.

Yeah, the England u21 captain who has been universally praised throughout the mainstream media isn't going to think he's anywhere near as good as a recently called up cameroon international plucked from obscurity the year before... Whilst everyone on this board might recognise Taylor's flaws / Bassong's better all round game, I doubt Taylor trawls the net for his opinions on his own game. Not saying it's likely to be a reason for him to leave but to think Taylor openly recognises Bassong as this wildly better player is far more ridiculous.

'yes' or 'no' do you think Taylor would be offended to hear that Shearer rated Bassong more?

Mate your clueless. The ego's of these players (and im talking good professional footballers in general) will not allow them to see player A or B as beter than them. Taylor would consider himself superior to Bassong, of that i have no doubt. Opinions by message board crawlers would not mean anything to Taylor. I personally would put them on about a par in terms of value

1. Bassong has undoubted potential but is still a relative novice in terms of premiership experience, and i think he has a lot to learn still, despite his huge physical attributes

2. Taylor is an experienced centre half who is England U21 skipper. He is still very young in terms of centre half, and in my opinion he is becoming more mature (albeit at a slow rate). He is widely regarded as a good centre half in the mould of John Terry (albeit not as good).He is also English which adds value

I think you are deluded if you think Taylor honestly believes Bassong is better than him

It just makes me wish there had been some kind of light aircraft disaster the day that Redknapp and Ashley were meeting about the manager's job up here. Two birds, one stone and all that.

Taylor is older than Bassong, you do know that right?

The 'relative novice' comment isn't really relevant here, as we're all painfully aware that it took Bassong 5 games to show himself to be better than Taylor.

Clutching at straws to think that Taylor was offended by a f***ing quote from Harry Redknapp, honestly man  :lol:. If he wants to piss off, then he can f***ing go, lets not make excuses for him

Guest Roger Kint

He did publically state he wanted to keep him and sign him up for longer though. Pretty much the same thing tbf

The 'relative novice' comment isn't really relevant here, as we're all painfully aware that it took Bassong 5 games to show himself to be better than Taylor.

Clutching at straws to think that Taylor was offended by a f***ing quote from Harry Redknapp, honestly man  :lol:. If he wants to piss off, then he can f***ing go, lets not make excuses for him

I don't think anyone is trying to say this is a valid excuse, my point was that to suggest that Taylor automatically recognises Bassong as this far superior player was not a good argument.

Guest Phil K
If he wants to piss off, then he can f***ing go, lets not make excuses for him

Thats the thing though isn't it ? He doesn't appear to - unlike Bassong.

He did publically state he wanted to keep him and sign him up for longer though. Pretty much the same thing tbf

that isn't what's being referred to here, mate. Someone has got it into their head that a quote from Harry Redknapp is one of the reasons that Taylor might want to leave. Honestly  :nope:

Guest sicko2ndbest

It was the source of the comment which was Shearer and Dowie rather than Redknapps opinion that is the talking point!

Taylor isnt going to careless about some quotes from Redknapp. He clearly had a good relationship with shearer & has been the main lad speaking out about getting him back. That wont have changed.

If he goes it'll be due to similar reasons others like Martins have given, this place being a mess and not looking like improving any time soon.

Taylor isnt going to careless about some quotes from Redknapp. He clearly had a good relationship with shearer & has been the main lad speaking out about getting him back. That wont have changed.

If he goes it'll be due to similar reasons others like Martins have given, this place being a mess and not looking like improving any time soon.

An ounce of sense. See, even Jayson knows the score, well done son!

Guest sicko2ndbest

“When we played Newcastle last year I spoke to Iain Dowie [shearer’s assistant] and Alan Shearer after the game and they spoke about the team, they were in desperate trouble,” Redknapp has been quoted by ESPN as saying .

“Iain said if they didn’t stay and one player did become available, Sebastien was the player to take.

“They couldn’t have recommended him any higher. Alan as well. He said, ‘If I stay at the club there is no way Bassong will ever leave.’ Alan didn’t get the job and Bassong was the first person we went for.”

I firmly believe that Everton have got results WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY above their players ability for the past 4 seasons.

Cahill was a master stroke - unintentional maybe. And Lescott isn't worth a tenth of whats being offered for him. Can't blame him for cashing in though.

:lol:

:facepalm:

:lol:

:facepalm:

To be honest i can't see either team ever getting into the Champs League prior to a Euro league being formed which will render the champs league redundant. I'd think, depending on which league we were in there would be more chance of us being invited to compete in such a league as well, based purely on geography / financial reasoning rather than squad / manager / ability / league position.

Guest Roger Kint

that isn't what's being referred to here, mate. Someone has got it into their head that a quote from Harry Redknapp is one of the reasons that Taylor might want to leave. Honestly  :nope:

Yeah i know. Am with you on that one, was just trying to add it wasnt anything major ;D

“When we played Newcastle last year I spoke to Iain Dowie [shearer’s assistant] and Alan Shearer after the game and they spoke about the team, they were in desperate trouble,” Redknapp has been quoted by ESPN as saying .

“Iain said if they didn’t stay and one player did become available, Sebastien was the player to take.

“They couldn’t have recommended him any higher. Alan as well. He said, ‘If I stay at the club there is no way Bassong will ever leave.’ Alan didn’t get the job and Bassong was the first person we went for.”

And you're saying the above could be the reason for Taylor wanting away?

You're usually a good poster but this is just nonsense man.  :lol:

And you're saying the above could be the reason for Taylor wanting away?

You're usually a good poster but this is just nonsense man.  :lol:

Haha, liked you giving grief to Dave about behaving like he had 'stripes' for declaring your Leeds rant nonsense but you're allowed to tell other posters they're views are nonsense in a pretty condescending manner... Just saying, like  ;D