Tactics: The Return of the Large & Large combo

CaliMag

Guest Phil K

I am not sure if it will work personally. Reading's defenders were too easily pushed aside. But I am also not sure we have a choice and think we are forced down this path unless we start buying players.

Excellent point, and one that I've brooded on for quite a while.

And that Man U 3-0 win was at the centre of my thoughts too.

Dunno if Shola has the physical nous of Fergie or Shearer though. There are ways to intimidate without giving away daft free kicks, Shola...

Andy seems prepared to mix it and will learn how to refine the rough stuff.

I agree also that give Xisco his chance (not sub) and place faith in him, and he'll do well

Andy Carroll is the target man, has a decent first touch and wins most things in the air. He's a bit prone to dropping too deep though when winning balls, and we don't have a midfielder that naturally wants to get forward (even though we've got Nolan and Barton) to pick up the knockdowns and link ups. I don't think he'll score many goals in open play, but will probably steal a few on corners/free kicks.

Has he ever scored from a corner or free kick? Not that I can remember

Andy Carroll is the target man, has a decent first touch and wins most things in the air. He's a bit prone to dropping too deep though when winning balls, and we don't have a midfielder that naturally wants to get forward (even though we've got Nolan and Barton) to pick up the knockdowns and link ups. I don't think he'll score many goals in open play, but will probably steal a few on corners/free kicks.

The lads not exactly played a load of games.

The lads not exactly played a load of games.

how on earth is that relevant? All i'm saying is that it's a completely baseless opinion

The first goal was - goal kick to Speed ---> headed ball to Shearer ---> headed ball to Duncan ---> reverse volley from 20 yards.

It was Rob Lee.

I just tried looking it up on youtube and couldn't find it. I'll take your word for it though. Obviously Lee was pretty good in the air as well, just not on the same level as Speed, Duncan, or Alan IMO.

I can't believe that season was 10 years ago.

The first goal was - goal kick to Speed ---> headed ball to Shearer ---> headed ball to Duncan ---> reverse volley from 20 yards.

It was Rob Lee.

I just tried looking it up on youtube and couldn't find it. I'll take your word for it though. Obviously Lee was pretty good in the air as well, just not on the same level as Speed, Duncan, or Alan IMO.

I can't believe that season was 10 years ago.

I just remember Lee being involved in there somewhere. great game, great goal. :(