La Liga 09/10

Mr. Snrub

Village Idiot what do you think about the quality of Spanish second tier football (equivalent to the Championship in England where Newcastle United are this season) ?

I always thought that the second tier of other countries are an untapped reservoir. If the gulf between Spanish second tier and La Liga is not bigger than Championship and Premiership then we should really explore the market there.

Mohamed Diamé and Jordi Gómez for example, clearly have the potential to be a rather decent player in the Premiership.

We should be scouting and scouring the second tiers of Italian, French, Spanish and French football.

I remember that Watford bought Rinaldi from Brazilian second tier. Rinaldi clearly had the potential and talent. But for some reason unknown to me he rarely appeared for Watford. Maybe there are some attitude issues, maybe there are some adaptation and acclimatisation issues. But it takes only 1 in 3 Rinaldis to succeed to make the risk taking worthwhile.

I'd say that the jump in quality between the lower teams in La Liga and the top teams in our second division is far smaller than between EPL and CCC. It's easy for a top second tier side to be competitive when it's promoted (Xerez is struggling, but they were thought as a middling side in Segunda, and they somehow hit form). However, Spanish Second Division is like an extreme version of La Liga. Shitloads of space, slow tempo, more technical than physical... I find it way nicer to watch than the CCC, but not sure it would produce players fit for your league. Although the CCC looks way worse than I thought.

Wigan and Swansea, because of Roberto Martínez, have several Spanish players that played in our second and third tiers. How they fare will be a good measuring stick.

I'd say that the jump in quality between the lower teams in La Liga and the top teams in our second division is far smaller than between EPL and CCC. It's easy for a top second tier side to be competitive when it's promoted (Xerez is struggling, but they were thought as a middling side in Segunda, and they somehow hit form). However, Spanish Second Division is like an extreme version of La Liga. Shitloads of space, slow tempo, more technical than physical... I find it way nicer to watch than the CCC, but not sure it would produce players fit for your league. Although the CCC looks way worse than I thought.

Wigan and Swansea, because of Roberto Martínez, have several Spanish players that played in our second and third tiers. How they fare will be a good measuring stick.

Thanks Village. This summary is very nice and educational.

• 1 month later...

Horrendous dick move by Florentino, who's taking Rubén de la Red to court to get a disability ruling for him and be able to rescind his contract (he suffers from a yet to be fully diagnosed hearth dolence). To their credit, the team captains (Casillas, Raúl and Guti) have sided with the lad and refused to sign their health insurances for the year as protest.

Now I have painted Raúl in a good light, father forgive me  :no:

Guest Heneage

That's horrendous.

As if the lad hasn't had his dream potentially crushed enough, now the club that I assume he supports, is (in the guise of Puto Florentino) taking him to court. I hope he wins.

Also, I have been meaning to post this since I saw it. And independent study calculated the debts of ten La Liga clubs, which includes all the top dogs, using their latest published data (2008-2009 in most cases). Here's the results:

- Real Madrid: 683

- Valencia: 550

- Atlético de Madrid: 511

- FC Barcelona: 489

- Deportivo de La Coruña: 292

- Villarreal: 240

- Espanyol: 156

- Racing Santander: 137

- Zaragoza: 112

- Sevilla: 110

Apparently all other clubs are below the 100 million treshold. Still, it's astounding that Valencia and Atlético are so crippled, and that Barcelona and Madrid have actually a better debt to income ratio than most other teams. I.e. Depor's turnover is 90m, Villarreal's 70m...

And hats off to Sevilla.

That's horrendous.

As if the lad hasn't had his dream potentially crushed enough, now the club that I assume he supports, is (in the guise of Puto Florentino) taking him to court. I hope he wins.

Mostly it hinges on if his "disability" is considered to be caused or worsened by his professional practice or not. If it is, then Madrid would have to pay out his contract in full as their employers. Of course, if there's possibility of recovery disability won't be awarded, but with all the deaths of footballers from hearth problems, don't think it will happen.

Also, Madrid has just released a note saying they are just following the Spanish law, which mandates them to allow labour courts to decide on the status of workers that have spent more than one year injuried. (Have to say this is the first time I hear of this happening to a long-term injuried player, though).

Such a shame about De La Red, very talented player imo hope he makes a return after his problem has been diagnosed. I remember watching the highlights of the game where he collapsed, it was horrific.

Feel sorry for the lad, also Sergio from Deportivo had a hearth condition diagnosed last week and he's been sidelined until further tests are conducted.

That's 4 cases in 3 years in La Liga, weird.

Guest Heneage

I read it's being considered that the temperature along with the high demand on players is what's causing it? Either way it's really bad for them you hope they'll be able to make a couple of million to live off.

Yes, the current demands in the game surely put more strain in footballers' hearts nowadays (just compare the body types of footballers now to the ones 20 years ago for example), just wondering why do we have a particular bad case of it, since as a country we actually have a *lower* incidence of earth diseases than the average of the European Union.

Valencia - Villarreal in about 10 minutes. This can be a sweet game. Valencia can go 3 behind Real with a win. They are lining up a front line of Joaquín, Silva, Mata and Villa, and they have people like Zigic (who I rate a lot at what he does) and Vicente on the bench. That's a peach of a squad.

Guest neesy111

Valencia - Villarreal in about 10 minutes. This can be a sweet game. Valencia can go 3 behind Real with a win. They are lining up a front line of Joaquín, Silva, Mata and Villa, and they have people like Zigic (who I rate a lot at what he does) and Vicente on the bench. That's a peach of a squad.

how valencia have managed to keep such a good squad despite their financial problems, their top 4 is one the best in europe

VI should barca have signed villa instead of ibra?  i heard villa was in tears when he heard the deal was off

how valencia have managed to keep such a good squad despite their financial problems, their top 4 is one the best in europe

VI should barca have signed villa instead of ibra?  i heard villa was in tears when he heard the deal was off

I think Ibra brings so much more to our game... Villa is probably a better natural goalscorer admittedly, but I'm very happy with what we got. I hope Villa gets a move to some big club (not Real please) where he can get the recognition he deserves.

And apparently Valencia were in very deep financial s*** and supposedly needed to sell some of their players, yet that hasn't happened. There was a supposed takeover that hasn't materialized yet, but everybody wonders how Valencia keeps running when the situtation was so bad last season (they were late in their payments to the players several times).

And Banega slots the first.

I heard Valencia, sorted some of their debt out so they don't have to repay it for a few years, so all the talk of flogging Villa and Silva off died away. Are they still building the new Mestella or has that stopped ?

The way Valencia are playing atm, I think they could push Real for second. Team with shit loads of debt finishing above the club who spent a gazillion quid in the summer, that would be priceless.