Define a "big club".

The Prophet

It's bollocks basically, there's no way to judge it. Some people would say crowds, when that's essentially random, or number of hardcore fans, when that's impossible to measure.

I suppose you could say it's something to do with winning things, in which case let's just call it 'successful club' and save ourselves a lot of hassle.

A lot of people say "you can only be classed as a big club if you win trophies". I would disagree. Ipswich and Forest won a few things late 70's early 80's. Leicester won the league cup a couple of times fairly recently, i think. I wouldn't say they were big clubs.

The toon are a big, but unsuccessful club IMO.

hey, happy birthday sb82........42, whats it feel like being so old?

Cheers cp40. My old ticker can't take any toon related stress for much longer.

ill be joining you in april,   :mick:

and i'll be leaving the 42 club not long after that.

is it true the answer to the universe is 42?

big

–adjective

1. large, as in size, height, width, or amount: a big house; a big quantity.

2. of major concern, importance, gravity, or the like: a big problem.

3. outstanding for a specified quality: a big liar; a big success.

4. important, as in influence, standing, or wealth: a big man in his field.

5. grown-up; mature: big enough to know better.

6. elder: my big sister.

7. doing business or conducted on a large scale; major in size or importance: big government.

8. consisting of the largest or most influential companies in an industry: Big steel wants to lower prices, but the smaller mills don't.

9. Informal. known or used widely; popular: Nouvelle cuisine became big in the 1970s.

10. magnanimous; generous; kindly: big enough to forgive.

11. boastful; pompous; pretentious; haughty: a big talker.

12. loud; orotund: a big voice.

13. (of clothing or a clothing design) made of or distinguished by voluminous fabric that is loosely or softly shaped and fitted: a big shirt; the big look.

14. (of a wine) having more than average flavor, body, and alcoholic content.

15. filled; brimming: eyes big with tears.

16. Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S. pregnant.

17. Obsolete. very strong; powerful.

–adverb

18. Informal. boastfully; pretentiously: to act big; to talk big.

19. Informal. with great success; successfully: to go over big.

–noun

20. the bigs, Sports Slang. the highest level of professional competition, as the major leagues in baseball.

—Idioms

21. be big on, to have a special liking or enthusiasm for: Mother is big on family get-togethers.

22. big with child. great (def. 23).

Origin:

1250–1300; ME big(ge) < ?

Related forms:

biggish, adjective

bigly, adverb

Synonyms:

1. huge, immense; bulky, massive; capacious, voluminous; extensive. See great. 4. consequential. 15. overflowing, flooded.

Antonyms:

1. little.

club

–noun

1. a heavy stick, usually thicker at one end than at the other, suitable for use as a weapon; a cudgel.

2. a group of persons organized for a social, literary, athletic, political, or other purpose: They organized a computer club.

3. the building or rooms occupied by such a group.

4. an organization that offers its subscribers certain benefits, as discounts, bonuses, or interest, in return for regular purchases or payments: a book club; a record club; a Christmas club.

5. Sports.

a. a stick or bat used to drive a ball in various games, as golf.

b. Indian club.

6. a nightclub or cabaret: Last night we went to all the clubs in town.

7. a black trefoil-shaped figure on a playing card.

8. a card bearing such figures.

9. clubs, (used with a singular or plural verb) the suit so marked: Clubs is trump. Clubs are trump.

10. club sandwich.

11. Nautical.

a. a short spar attached to the end of a gaff to allow the clew of a gaff topsail to extend beyond the peak of the gaff.

b. a short spar attached to the truck of a mast to support the upper part of a club topsail.

c. clubfoot (def. 3).

–verb (used with object)

12. to beat with or as with a club.

13. to gather or form into a clublike mass.

14. to unite; combine; join together.

15. to contribute as one's share toward a joint expense; make up by joint contribution (often fol. by up or together): They clubbed their dollars together to buy the expensive present.

16. to defray by proportional shares.

17. to hold (a rifle, shotgun, etc.) by the barrel, so as to use the stock as a club.

–verb (used without object)

18. to combine or join together, as for a common purpose.

19. to attend a club or a club's activities.

20. to gather into a mass.

21. to contribute to a common fund.

22. Nautical. to drift in a current with an anchor, usually rigged with a spring, dragging or dangling to reduce speed.

–adjective

23. of or pertaining to a club.

24. consisting of a combination of foods offered at the price set on the menu: They allow no substitutions on the club luncheon.

Origin:

1175–1225; ME clubbe < ON klubba club; akin to clump

Synonyms:

1. bludgeon, billy. 2, 4. association, society. See circle. 12. bludgeon, batter, maul, cudgel.

Any help?

I think the whole idea of a big club is perception. No statistic can decide whether a club is big or not, in the same way that no statistic can decide what makes attracted to certain people over others. The whole idea is formulated in the mind of footballer supporters and those in football circles. If we think it is a big club, then it is. If we do not, then it is not.

Not that any of this nonsense actually matters though.